LMDE 5 “Elsie” released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

LMDE 5 “Elsie” released!

Post by clem »

gh4snow
Level 2
Level 2

Re: LMDE 5 “Elsie” released!

Post by gh4snow »

I run both Linux Mint and LMDE Cinnamon.
LMDE needs its own LMDE background wallpaper so that users know that it is an LMDE PC and not an LM PC.
Please add an LMDE background wallpaper.
neojim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by neojim »

Best Linux install experience ever!!!!
Love the ease of install. Cant wait to play with my new LMDE!
greengreen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by greengreen »

The March issue has not been published yet,
Is something happening?
Monthly News – March 2022
I enjoy using LM, but do not feed the trolls.
chuckster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chuckster »

I hope I'm not breaching etiquette to post a thank-you here, but WOW - The Mint team have absolutely nailed it with this release!!! :D

As a long time Mint user (since Helena (way back in 2009) right up to present day 20.3), I thought I would test LMDE-5 and was blown away by how solid it is! EVERYTHING just works so well (and no more PPAs) and my setup isn't trivial (lots of KVM machines, VPNs, multi-media, handful of Flatpaks and AppImages, etc.). I've wiped 20.3 and made LMDE my daily drive OS and plan to stay here until LMDE-6, rather than chasing the Mint 21.x series.

I think LMDE should get more attention - it's too understated given how great it is. A HUGE thanks to the team! (I'll be making another donation to fund your efforts).
FezzyWhig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FezzyWhig »

I've been using Linux Mint 20.x for about 1 year+, dual booting into Win10 less and less. I'll call myself a "tech hobbyist". I run my own email server in the cloud and also have a static domain name website (pointwell.com, if you're interested!). The latter runs on Debian and the former on Ubuntu. Yes, there are differences in the apps and repositories, but THE major difference I experience is that Ubuntu is constantly patching their software while Debian is consistently stable, with very few patches.

All of that said, the point is that I would love to go to LMDE sooner rather than later. However, since I already have a dual boot system, I'm not really up for the pain and time, that will go to switching to LMDE.

Do the LMDE developers see a pathway to upgrade or migrate from 20.x to LMDE?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

FezzyWhig wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:59 amDo the LMDE developers see a pathway to upgrade or migrate from 20.x to LMDE?
No. You need to do a fresh install of LMDE if you want LMDE. You can ask in the LMDE forum for help with that if you want to.
Eridanus7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Eridanus7 »

The LMDE5 team have done a great job with this release, works really well.

Have tried it on one old HP17-bw0503 which had an Optane setup (now discarded for an SSD) plus a recent Acer 314 both worked really well I'm most impressed.

Cinnamon is nice but I miss the Mate “Clock” for it’s week numbers an location times, but that’s a minor grumble. Will ask in forums about swapping the Cinnamon calendar for Mate Clock

Shall swap from Mint to LMDE on my laptop and probably my desktop too.

Edit: Week numbers are available Calendar --> Configure --> Show week numbers...
Last edited by Eridanus7 on Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
LoVache

Post by LoVache »

I installed it in a VM then at first update (in fact second update because first was the updater itself) it was a complete mess and I was unable to launch that VM again. Some user reported the very same experience as new install on a regular drive/PC. Particularly Cinnamon won't update.
My self I had to delete that VM at least thrice and I finally abandoned.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

LoVache wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:36 am I installed it in a VM then at first update (in fact second update because first was the updater itself) it was a complete mess and I was unable to launch that VM again. Some user reported the very same experience as new install on a regular drive/PC. Particularly Cinnamon won't update.
My self I had to delete that VM at least thrice and I finally abandoned.
If you are having issues, you should post on the LDME5 support section of the forum. This topic is about the release announcement.

I know one of the kernel updates for LMDE5 resulted in problems related to VMs for several users. It's been a while ago and I do not recall the specifics of that issue.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
LoVache

Post by LoVache »

Unfortunately there's no LMDE French support section so my goal was therefore to say that if you don't speak English fluently, it is better to look elsewhere.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

LoVache wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:39 am Unfortunately there's no LMDE French support section so my goal was therefore to say that if you don't speak English fluently, it is better to look elsewhere.
Not so. For support in French for any Linux Mint edition we have a French language forum: viewforum.php?f=63

Return to “Releases & Announcements”