Helena KDE CE update

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Helena KDE CE update

Post by Boo »

I have built the iso with KDE 4.3.4 and all the other packages, now just some tweaking.
Once the 32bit version is out I will start work on the 64bit but that wont take long since there is only one or 2 packages to rebuild.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Boo wrote:I have built the iso with KDE 4.3.4 and all the other packages, now just some tweaking.
Once the 32bit version is out I will start work on the 64bit but that wont take long since there is only one or 2 packages to rebuild.

Boo
Boo,

Great news! 8)

lorebett

Post by lorebett »

Boo wrote:I have built the iso with KDE 4.3.4 and all the other packages, now just some tweaking.
Thus, approx., when will Helena KDE be release?

look forward to! :)
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

Any update on the beta of 8 KDE CE?
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

BUMP AND UPDATE! My version of Linux Mint 8 with the KDE added crashed and I have not been able to get it back running. Black screen at bootup and everything lost (Sigh)

Boo, a question on the same subject. I downloaded the latest build of Kubuntu, went to their site and got the PPA and upgraded Kubuntu to KDE 4.3.4 Couldn't you start with Kubuntu as your base instead of Ubuntu or the distro of Linux mint then add the menus to that? They seem to have ironed out the problem with WIFI similar to what you guys do with Hardware Drivers offered at the beginning of installation. Everything works fine with KDE 4.3.4 and no crash at startup. I have followed several forums about this crash and it had something to do with the newest upgrade in the kernel, well, Kubuntu has that upgrade right after you initiate the first upgrade over the Internet and it does not crash. I'm not sure about multiple disks drives. I use my laptop with an external usb drive and no problems. Just a suggestion.
P.S. uname -r shows: 2.6.31-16-generic
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I start with the Kubuntu ISO and I have used the kubuntu ppa repo to upgrade to KDE 4.3.4.
kubuntu packges (mainly KDE related) live in the ubuntu repos and have for a few releases now, the ppa repos are isolated.
The backend/core of all ubuntu based releases are the same: services, kernel, libraries etc. basicly a server build or cli only install.
The backend/core is where all the problems are, including ubiquity the installer.

I still have problems with shutdowns on my dev machine, well they fixed it then broke it again all in the last few days.
I don't consider the ubuntu base stable yet, and they should have held off on releasing 9.10.

Boo
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Boo wrote:I start with the Kubuntu ISO and I have used the kubuntu ppa repo to upgrade to KDE 4.3.4.
kubuntu packges (mainly KDE related) live in the ubuntu repos and have for a few releases now, the ppa repos are isolated.
The backend/core of all ubuntu based releases are the same: services, kernel, libraries etc. basicly a server build or cli only install.
The backend/core is where all the problems are, including ubiquity the installer.

I still have problems with shutdowns on my dev machine, well they fixed it then broke it again all in the last few days.
I don't consider the ubuntu base stable yet, and they should have held off on releasing 9.10.

Boo
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. My own experience with Ubuntu and Kubuntu had not been that great is why I was using Mint 7 and then 8 But when Mint 8 died with my addition of KDE through Synaptic which had run up until the other day I decided to try Kubuntu again. I don't think the KDE is what killed it. So far I'm stable, although my Chrome is choppy for video, that's probably the Chrome, Firefox has no problems on the same video. What's the difference between the core and the kernel?
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

Boo wrote:I start with the Kubuntu ISO and I have used the kubuntu ppa repo to upgrade to KDE 4.3.4.

Boo
Boo, thanks for the update, To get a stable kubuntu I had to start with ubuntu, add kubuntu-desktop but use gdm or I would get a black screen. Straight kubuntu installs would not work for me at all. I agree they should have waited.
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

bobcollard wrote:

Boo
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. My own experience with Ubuntu and Kubuntu had not been that great is why I was using Mint 7 and then 8 But when Mint 8 died with my addition of KDE through Synaptic which had run up until the other day I decided to try Kubuntu again. I don't think the KDE is what killed it. So far I'm stable, although my Chrome is choppy for video, that's probably the Chrome, Firefox has no problems on the same video. What's the difference between the core and the kernel?
Not sure what your kubuntu problem is with 9.10 but kdm caused black screens for me and am having to use gdm.
lorebett

Post by lorebett »

That's strange: I'm using kubuntu karmic on a laptop and two desktops without problems... do you have a very recent hardware?
ltmon

Post by ltmon »

tonyric wrote:Not sure what your kubuntu problem is with 9.10 but kdm caused black screens for me and am having to use gdm.
I (and others) have found problems with KDM in 9.10 due to timeouts. The KDM greeter has a default timeout, and if the X server doesn't get it's act together quickly enough the whole thing restarts (and does the same thing all over again, resulting in an essentially blank screen for the user).

The workaround is to increase the KDM timout value from the default. In /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc find the section beginning with

Code: Select all

[X-*-Core]
. In this section add a line:

ServerTimeout=120
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

lorebett wrote:That's strange: I'm using kubuntu karmic on a laptop and two desktops without problems... do you have a very recent hardware?
Thinkpad T61 with NVidia NVS140 video, recent enough but not todays top of the line.
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

ltmon wrote:
tonyric wrote:Not sure what your kubuntu problem is with 9.10 but kdm caused black screens for me and am having to use gdm.
I (and others) have found problems with KDM in 9.10 due to timeouts. The KDM greeter has a default timeout, and if the X server doesn't get it's act together quickly enough the whole thing restarts (and does the same thing all over again, resulting in an essentially blank screen for the user).

The workaround is to increase the KDM timout value from the default. In /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc find the section beginning with

[X-*-Core]
. In this section add a line:

ServerTimeout=120

I will change it to 120 and see if that helps. Cheers.
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

Hi,

i used kubuntu 9.10. It's good, after software update and driver ati it's very good... on my dell 15 studio all hardware works and it's very fast, but the HSDPA pen doesn't work. I haven't tried all programs, so this is the only bug i found.

thanks

sorry for my english
lorebett

Post by lorebett »

Bagheera wrote:Hi,

i used kubuntu 9.10. It's good, after software update and driver ati it's very good... on my dell 15 studio all hardware works and it's very fast, but the HSDPA pen doesn't work. I haven't tried all programs, so this is the only bug i found.
As for ATI driver: do 3d effects work as well?
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

lorebett wrote:
Bagheera wrote:Hi,

As for ATI driver: do 3d effects work as well?
Oh yes, 3d effects with kwin work very well.
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

will we get a mint8 kde ce present for christmas?...
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I hope to have the RC out before Xmas.
I may find a whole day in the next week to work on it.

cheers
Boo
kage

Post by kage »

whoooohooo
that would be a christmas present!!!

Kage
midas
Level 4
Level 4