Switch from Gnome to Fluxbox

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rich.Carpenter

Switch from Gnome to Fluxbox

Post by Rich.Carpenter »

I installed Fluxbox via the package manager (also ran apt-get install fluxbox at the command prompt to make sure - said the current version was already installed), but now I can't figure out how to have Fluxbox start instead of Gnome. I thought installing it would cause a window manager selection option to appear during login, but it didn't.

How do I make Fluxbox available, and, eventually, remove Gnome entirely? I'd like to trim down my desktop environment as much as possible.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fluxx

Re: Switch from Gnome to Fluxbox

Post by Fluxx »

There's no option that says: "Session" ??? Hmm, that makes me curious, I think I'll have to try it and see what happens....
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I am not in Mint so I am not sure about this, but usually you will need to type the user name in the login screen and hit enter. Then the option to change DE/WM will appear.

The problem with removing Gnome in Mint is Mint is what you call Gnomecentric. Removing Gnome will take many needed dependencies with it. The least of your problems will be replacing GDM with something else, which I believe will kill many Mint tools. This is not a job for the faint hearted, but it can be done. A better option might be the Mint Fluxbox version, but I am not sure where that stands at the moment. If it were me I would just leave Gnome alone and run Fluxbox on top of it.
beauvin

Post by beauvin »

You do not need to remove gnome, to get fluxbox to show try something like this instead http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=116759. Pay close attention to step 9.

Return to “MATE”