M8 64bit 3g connect, disconnect constantly [half Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gazza

M8 64bit 3g connect, disconnect constantly [half Solved]

Post by gazza »

Hi, Running M7 32bit atm , works well. (Half solved at the end of this)

I've two 64bit computers, a laptop Presario CQ60 and my desktop asus P7P55D. Both installed Mint 8 64bit , laptop installed hosed vista, but after half a dozen Rescue attempts, Vista finally works again. Don't have M$ on the desktop.

3g Optus mobile broadband usb dongle Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E620 USB Modem
My problem is that on both installs I get the following constant flood in /var/log/messages and can't even attempt to connect to the net.

Dec 13 22:00:08 gazza64bit-desktop kernel: [ 132.260506] option 2-1.2:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
Dec 13 22:00:08 gazza64bit-desktop kernel: [ 132.260584] usb 2-1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
Dec 13 22:00:08 gazza64bit-desktop kernel: [ 132.271803] option1 ttyUSB2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB2

Also on the laptop the following error is flooding messages, but on this desktop, the error appears in tty, I ctrl+alt+f1 and it floods the terminal, and won't let me log in, but it doesn't go into messages like it does on the laptop...

[an increasing number] Option: option_instat_callback: error -108

So the basic problem here is that I can't get on the net with these computers until the connect , disconnect issue is solved. But I can get on the net with this Linuxmint 7 32bit OS I'm running atm.

Got a suggestion to uninstall network-manager-applet and try wvdial (I've had succes with wvdial in Slackware). After uninstalling nm-applet I get the following popup error when I connect the usb:

Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with:
mount: block device /dev/sr1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: /dev/sr1 already mounted or /media/cdrom1 busy

and still the constant flood of connect , disconnect...
Any ideas on how to solve it? I'll have to download the patches and tools via this OS and install manually..

HALF SOLVED.
was recommended that I upgrade the kernel,
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.32/
downloaded the kernel and headers from there, dpkg -i kernel no prob, the headers half installed and spat the error dependancies not met, nothing specific, very annoying.

I can now connect to the net, but now my mouse freezes randomly, the longest session about 15mins....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gazza

Re: M8 64bit 3g connect, disconnect constantly [half Solved]

Post by gazza »

Thanks ikey :)

Downloaded the latest stable 2.6.32.1 , compiled it , for some reason my 12g / was just enough, got a warning I was 500meg from full, just before it finished. At least it finished :) .

Long story short, after a lot of mouse freezing, and setbacks, got to install the Nvidia 190 64bit driver, but this did not solve the freeze issue. Neither did full updates.

So I'll start a new thread on the issue :(

Return to “Beginner Questions”