Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wurger
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox and Firefox-ESR installed side by side

Post by wurger »

Hi!

Long time no see. After a long brake I'm back on the green side due to bigger and bigger snap scratch from Canonical. Therefore I have decided to try LMDE.

I wanted to have the regular Firefox and the ESR version but when trying to install the ESR the regular one wants to be removed.

I have overcome this issue and installed the Flatpack one. This is sub-optimal as it packs my system with all the 2,3 GB data needed for Flatpack. Further more I can't start both browser at the same time. If I launch one of them, clicking on the other ones icon launches the first one that was started. Fun fact - both icons look different so i don't know how this can happen.

Is there an easy way to have Firefox and Firefox esr from the repos and remove the flatpack version with all of the flatpack dependencies?
AZgl1800
Level 18
Level 18
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Firefox and Firefox-ESR installed side by side

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have the Regular MINT Firefox installed, and is what I use all the time

and I also have the ESR in /download/FF ESR

the ESR version never even noticed my MINT version, I don't understand why yours wants to remove the MINT version?
LM21.x upgraded from 20.3 Cinnamon on an ASUS FX705GM laptop
t42
Level 8
Level 8

Post by t42 »

Just use different profiles using shortcuts, for example, if extracted in /opt
/opt/firefox/firefox -p Firefox
and
/usr/bin/firefox -p ESR
creating those profiles beforehand with -p switch
~/.mozilla/firefox/Quantum
~/.mozilla/firefox/ESRt
-=t42=-
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

What happens if you start the Firefox from the repository and then run flatpak run org.mozilla.firefox from terminal to run the flatpak one? Maybe it makes a difference.

As for installing the Debian and Linux Mint packages both: Debian's package has a file that is also in the Linux Mint package, in the same location, and because of that you can't install these packages at the same time. Because the 2nd package would then overwrite a file of the 1st package.

Your best bet may be as AZgl1800 does and don't use the Firefox ESR package but download Mozilla's binary from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/. You can just extract and run that from your home directory. But as with the flatpak it may still be that when you run both Firefox versions at the same time, the 2nd you start just activates the 1st one's window.
AZgl1800 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:39 am
I don't understand why yours wants to remove the MINT version?
Because OP is trying to install the actual Firefox ESR package. Not just downloading & extract a binary from Mozilla. Debian builds their Firefox ESR package in such a way as to conflict with other Firefox packages.
t42 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:56 am
if extracted in /opt
OP is not extracting to /opt, they are installing actual packages not manually downloading & extracting binaries.
wurger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wurger »

In the end I could switch to chromium and ditch the Firefox esr altogether.

Edit

That is what I did. How to remove the flatpack installation things as they are no longer needed?

Edit 2

Used this: https://fostips.com/remove-flatpak-apps-free-up-disk/ and I think that it worked.
AZgl1800
Level 18
Level 18
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

This pix shows what I did.

I highlighted the Firefox "program" file, pressed Control-m which created a link.

I then moved that link to my Desktop, should have put it in the Menu instead... ah well. :roll:

FF ESR.jpg
LM21.x upgraded from 20.3 Cinnamon on an ASUS FX705GM laptop

Return to “Software & Applications”