Helena KDE CE update

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gravelbay

Re: Helena KDE CE update

Post by gravelbay »

I haven't found anything by searching, so I guess I'll just ask. Is it safe to assume that, since there was not a Mint 7 x64 KDE release that there will also not be a KDE community release for Mint 8 x64?

The M8 x64 that I'm running now seems to be rock solid, but I prefer KDE overall. (Even though Gnome has some nice features too.) If there will not be a KDE for x64, I'll quit waiting around and go ahead &install KDE on my Gnome installation. I just would have liked to regain the integration that seemed so elegant in Mint 7 KDE.

Gold plated "attaboys" to everyone involved in these Mint projects. Well done!!
Jerry
Sheepeh

Post by Sheepeh »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 01#p214028

Boo's said that once the 32 bit one is out the door, he'll get cracking on a 64 bit one. At least, that's the plan, right now.
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

Sheepeh wrote:http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 01#p214028

Boo's said that once the 32 bit one is out the door, he'll get cracking on a 64 bit one. At least, that's the plan, right now.
That would be fantastic!! Thanks.

Yay, Boo. :D
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

gravelbay wrote:I haven't found anything by searching, so I guess I'll just ask. Is it safe to assume that, since there was not a Mint 7 x64 KDE release that there will also not be a KDE community release for Mint 8 x64?

The M8 x64 that I'm running now seems to be rock solid, but I prefer KDE overall. (Even though Gnome has some nice features too.) If there will not be a KDE for x64, I'll quit waiting around and go ahead &install KDE on my Gnome installation. I just would have liked to regain the integration that seemed so elegant in Mint 7 KDE.

Gold plated "attaboys" to everyone involved in these Mint projects. Well done!!
Jerry
I would caution you on adding KDE to your x64 version of Mint 8, mine crashed and I had to start from scratch, luckily I always backup daily. There is a reason they are working so hard to make a version to work with Mint, there are some incompatibilities in KDE alone.
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

Thanks Bob. I read that too, so I'm holding off and eagerly awaiting the KDE x64 version.
HaTeMe

Post by HaTeMe »

Edit: *misunderstood your Comment* :cry:
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

gravelbay wrote:Thanks Bob. I read that too, so I'm holding off and eagerly awaiting the KDE x64 version.
Actually, now that I'm getting more used to Gnome and now have Dolphin and some other tools I prefer, I don't know that it would be worth the work to go back to KDE. I guess I'll wait till the KDE x64 release comes out and see what others think about it. I work about 50-60 hours a week and Mint is my work and home computer, so I can't be changing OS's on a whim. But it sure is fun. :lol:
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Boo, this may sound a bit silly, BUT, Instead of going through every line of code in Kubuntu, both 32 bit and 64 bit, wouldn't it be easier to take something like the KDE Live CD and make that work for us. Then people would have KDE almost at the time of the next release of Linux Mint with a choice of Gnome or KDE. I'm not a programmer and I have no idea of the problems you guys go through, but, I do know we appreciate everything you do. Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

It is close now everyone.
I hope it gets released before new year. (someone will find it on a mirror before the release message.)

Most should be happy to know that all updates are applied including the kernel.
You can get further updates to some packages by enabling the removed repo.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

gravelbay wrote:
gravelbay wrote:Thanks Bob. I read that too, so I'm holding off and eagerly awaiting the KDE x64 version.
Actually, now that I'm getting more used to Gnome and now have Dolphin and some other tools I prefer, I don't know that it would be worth the work to go back to KDE. I guess I'll wait till the KDE x64 release comes out and see what others think about it. I work about 50-60 hours a week and Mint is my work and home computer, so I can't be changing OS's on a whim. But it sure is fun. :lol:
My only real problem with Gnome after using it for about a year at work and a couple months at home is it is too flat in appearance and requires a LOT of work to look good.
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

Boo wrote:It is close now everyone.
I hope it gets released before new year.
That's fantastic news. Thanks very much indeed, Boo. This is hugely appreciated, what with working through the holiday and all. :)
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

tonyric wrote:
gravelbay wrote:
My only real problem with Gnome after using it for about a year at work and a couple months at home is it is too flat in appearance and requires a LOT of work to look good.
True for me too. I probably spent way too much time on looks, but I think I spent the most time on ease of use issues. AWN was a big help in both regards, but has a few quirks that make it less than perfect, but it's still helpful to me now that I know how to keep it out of the way, but have it when I'm ready for it.
pug

Post by pug »

Are there any Mint KDE CE Betas people can try out before the RC or the final release? I've done a bit of looking and I can't seem to find any. And if not does anyone think it might be a useful thing to have as it would allow people the opportunity to give feedback and search out potential bugs before it hits the general populace as a full blown release? Of course it also gives people like me the chance to try out the latest and greatest more quickly, warts and all, and I for one am certainly willing to take my chances on a beta release for a home desktop.
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

gravelbay wrote: True for me too. I probably spent way too much time on looks, but I think I spent the most time on ease of use issues. AWN was a big help in both regards, but has a few quirks that make it less than perfect, but it's still helpful to me now that I know how to keep it out of the way, but have it when I'm ready for it.
I am not a lover of AWN (now, I have not used it in a year but it was very unstable for me), OTOH I love the new plasma desktop, it takes me back to my OS/2 days albeit much better looking where everything in the desktop experience is flexible and changeable. I want to use plasma but kubuntu itself just sucks for me, OpenSuSE and Mandriva are too much of a paradigm shift for me (going back to RPM based desktops) and the other debian based distros are not providing a cohesive user experience. At this point in time Mint is all I wish to work with because it just works.
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

tonyric wrote:
gravelbay wrote: True for me too. I probably spent way too much time on looks, but I think I spent the most time on ease of use issues. AWN was a big help in both regards, but has a few quirks that make it less than perfect, but it's still helpful to me now that I know how to keep it out of the way, but have it when I'm ready for it.
I am not a lover of AWN (now, I have not used it in a year but it was very unstable for me), OTOH I love the new plasma desktop, it takes me back to my OS/2 days albeit much better looking where everything in the desktop experience is flexible and changeable. I want to use plasma but kubuntu itself just sucks for me, OpenSuSE and Mandriva are too much of a paradigm shift for me (going back to RPM based desktops) and the other debian based distros are not providing a cohesive user experience. At this point in time Mint is all I wish to work with because it just works.
I can't say I'm a great fan of AWN either. It does have some quirks, but it's been stable and a bit of a time saver for me. I still prefer KDE. But I never did really get used to Plasma. I like having stuff in a tool bar where I can launch stuff w/o going to the desktop.

I "grew up" using OpenSUSE (using 10.3 - 11.1), and I used Mandriva for a while on my laptop, so the RPM system is very familiar to me and it matured a lot in the years I used it. But the deb system does seem to be a little smoother, imho. I keep changing my mind about switching to the KDE release when it comes out in 64-bit. :? Now that I've moved /Home to its own drive, I am leaning more toward installing it when it's available.
Shaine

Post by Shaine »

Hi, I have Gloria KDE running nicely on a 4 year old Sony Vaio, thanks :) All the compiz fusion effects were fine initially but after a couple reboots "rotate cube" initiates only the compiz logo on screen. It is enabled and virtuals set to 4 and Hardware doesn't list a graphics driver (must be kernal default like openGL?). Can someone point me to ensuring the correct ati graphics driver unless I'm missing something simple?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

This is not a general chat thread, it is meant for me to update everyone on the progress of Helena KDE.

Cheers
Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Shaine

Post by Shaine »

:oops: so sorry
kage

Post by kage »

Hi Boo,

Thanx for all the hard and good work,

Will Thunderbird 3 and the final version of Digikam (1.0) appear in this release?

Greetz
kage
dequire

Post by dequire »

kage wrote:Hi Boo,

Thanx for all the hard and good work,

Will Thunderbird 3 and the final version of Digikam (1.0) appear in this release?

Greetz
kage
I would assume that KMail will be the default email client. If this is the case, Thunderbird 3 will be available of course as an installation option. Also, as Boo stated above, this is an announcement thread.

Return to “Software & Applications”