[SOLVED] Can not get to gui after install (LM 8)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pokemoncatdog

[SOLVED] Can not get to gui after install (LM 8)

Post by pokemoncatdog »

LM = Linux Mint
UB = Ubuntu

Hi,

I can not get to the gui after installing LM 8. The live USB work and I can use the gui there. How I set up the install. 1. Use all of the hdd, 2. For me auto log in is a must. I all ways check auto log in when installing Linux. But LM8 will not auto log in. All I see is the LM logo then only this "Linux Mint 8 Helena - Main Edition Jeff-desktop tty1jeff-desktop lonin: _" I don't know what is happening because UB 9.10 works on my pc and LM is based off of UB. I really want the use LM and not UB.

MY hardware is:
CPU: amd sempron 3000+ 1.8Ghz
Video: nvidia geforce 8 series pci-e
Ram: 1.5GB
MB: nf61s micro 754
HDD: 500GB seagate sata
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Can not get to gui after install (LM 8)

Post by remoulder »

Did you burn the CD at a slow speed andverify the CD after you burnt it? Try rebooting with the installation CD in the drive, press any key at the splash screen and choose the option to check or verify the CD. If you find any errors, reburn the ISO at the slowest speed and re-install.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
pokemoncatdog

Post by pokemoncatdog »

NO CD drive, I need USB LIVE install and that's what I did. Also LM 5 LTS works on my pc. Have not try LM 7. I am now using LM5, but I want LM8.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

I would re-do your USB installation and try again. If you want to try and fix your existing installation you could try logging in at the prompt and starting the gui with startx. If you get this to work post again with any specific problems you encounter.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
pokemoncatdog

Post by pokemoncatdog »

I got LM7 installed it and it worked on my pc. I will stay with it for now. LM 8 is working on my netbook but not by pc. The some usb install I tryed on by pc worked on my netbook. So LM 8 my netbook and LM 7 on pc for now.

Can't login on LM 8 on by pc, keyboard not working right at that login screen.
pokemoncatdog

(fixed) Re: Can not get to gui after install (LM 8)

Post by pokemoncatdog »

I upgrade to LM8 form LM7, now LM8 works good and my pc. The upgrade worked better then the full install, would you look at that.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

pokemoncatdog wrote:The upgrade worked better then the full install, would you look at that.
There's always an exception to the rule... :roll: Glad you got it working.

Return to “Installation & Boot”