Overcoming Linux Anxiety

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FellowEsin
Level 1
Level 1

Overcoming Linux Anxiety

Post by FellowEsin »

Hello! So, in my old computer I had installed Linux Mint and I loved it. A LOT. But when installing it in my new computer I encountered an error which made me install Grub manually... None of my data was lost but this was enough for me to be scared of doing anything Linux on "bare metal" hardware.

How can I overcome this anxiety? I don't feel anxious when installing Linux in a VM but I get so scared when I actually try to do it in my computer that I've 'postponed' replacing my Linux Mint partition with the new version of the OS.

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Overcoming Linux Anxiety

Post by Pierre »

Hi FellowEsin ,
welcome to our forum.
:)

if your machine, has the ability,
then you can try using an VirtualBox solution,
as test bed, for you to get more used to Linux Installations,

you just need an bigger drive and at least 8Gb memory,
- to be able to try that idea.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Making sure all your data is backed up is a big help.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

The best advice I've seen for starting up with Linux came from Joe Collins on Youtube. He recommend getting a cheap, used laptop and fooling around with Linux on it before committing to installing Linux on one's daily driver. That certainly eased my anxiety.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

FellowEsin wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:52 am How can I overcome this anxiety?
With a stiff drink. Nothing under 35 %. Cheers! :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:00 pm
FellowEsin wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:52 am How can I overcome this anxiety?
With a stiff drink. Nothing under 35 %. Cheers! :lol:
LOL!!! Irish Whiskey works well.....
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

What gets me over the anxiety is that I have laptops (or desktops) with conventional SATA SSD or HDD drives. If I to where I cannot boot, then I pull the drive out and put it in an enclosure an boot the dvd/usb then read/copy my data off the enclosure drive.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Linux does not scare me... it p-s me off. Can't be scared of something you are angry at it's incompetence.

But seriously, just keep a LM USB drive around and use it to fix something when needed. No need to be scared of anything.

But then again I am used to the OS just stopping working for no apparent reason having cut my teeth on win9X and winXP so..... I am used to loathing and raging rather than crying. LM today is much easier to fix than those glorious frustraters were.

It's just funny that it literally took decades for M$ to get to Win10 for proper self fixing. Linux on the other hand generally does not consider self fixing systems any kind of priority so be glad LM does as much for you as it does. Now if only someone would be smart enough to make a GRUB fallback interface that normal people could use easily..... I have given up even trying to understand that thing and just use the Boot Repair program on the USB drive.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

FellowEsin wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:52 am Hello! So, in my old computer I had installed Linux Mint and I loved it. A LOT. But when installing it in my new computer I encountered an error which made me install Grub manually... None of my data was lost but this was enough for me to be scared of doing anything Linux on "bare metal" hardware.
What you mean by "an error which made me install Grub manually..."?
If you are doing a clean, new fresh install without having dual boot with another system (Windows i.e.) there should not be a problem.
Have you tried "another" option (3rd install option) to be able to put /home on another partition? And then set Grub on the wrong place?
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Dan-cer wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:19 am
FellowEsin wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:52 am Hello! So, in my old computer I had installed Linux Mint and I loved it. A LOT. But when installing it in my new computer I encountered an error which made me install Grub manually... None of my data was lost but this was enough for me to be scared of doing anything Linux on "bare metal" hardware.
What you mean by "an error which made me install Grub manually..."?
If you are doing a clean, new fresh install without having dual boot with another system (Windows i.e.) there should not be a problem.
Have you tried "another" option (3rd install option) to be able to put /home on another partition? And then set Grub on the wrong place?
GRUB seemingly randomly stopping working is a more widespread problem than you might think. My guess is something went wrong with software installation and filesystems got corrupted and GRUB got confused or something like that.
Ivy_Pool
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ivy_Pool »

I have never overcome linux anxiety. I vurp in my mouth every time I upgrade.
half-word
Level 1
Level 1

Post by half-word »

After all these years using Linux I'm also anxious if my machines would boot properly and how to restore them if they don't. But it used to be much easier for me a long time ago!

The thing is, I'm not anxious about Linux but about GRUB, the monstrosity whose workings I never fully understood and which differs between distros and versions.

In the days of old there was LILO. If the OS wouldn't boot, all I had to do was boot from an appropriate install medium, get a root shell and fix everything by issuing a few commands like this:

Code: Select all

# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
# lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf
# reboot
Voila! After the reboot I was back home.

With that grubby monster after I boot to a recovery shell, I always have to read something to be sure how to make it work again on that particular system and it is often hit and miss.

I've always liked the ease of configuring it for chainloading other OSes, so I'd always install it to MBR and use it to chainload foreign OS bootloaders, for example for Windows or FreeBSD. Of course, with LILO in MBR it was also very easy to restore them too in case they go belly up.

On certain non-desktop machines i still try to use LILO if it's possible. Not only that I know I can restore the system back to a bootable state quicker and easier, I've also found LILO is more resilient to some problems, making it somewhat less likely to fail than GRUB. Not surprising if you compare their complexities though.

Too bad LILO is effectively on its way to extinction. It would be so great if someone in the future created such a simple and effective EFI bootloader.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: One post has been removed from the topic because all posts in this section of the forum (ie. not in the International section of the forum) must be in English.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
cptnoblivious
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cptnoblivious »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:09 am Making sure all your data is backed up is a big help.
This. Along with a list of any software you added after the initial install.

Knowing that if it all 'goes sideways' you have good, tested backups of your data and a roadmap for what to add back to the system should make it less stressful.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Some posts removed. Please stay on topic. This is Chat about Linux, not Open Chat. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
FellowEsin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FellowEsin »

Thanks for the tips, fellows! I think I gained the courage... I'm going to try to (re-)install Linux Mint in my computer tomorrow!
FellowEsin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FellowEsin »

UPDATE: I DID IT! I successfully re-installed+upgraded the Mint partition of my computer. Both Windows and Mint work fine. But there's still this uneasiness inside me... I feel like my computer could malfunction anytime. Can someone help me with that?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

FellowEsin wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:32 pm I feel like my computer could malfunction anytime. Can someone help me with that?
Well, that is true. Things break, it happens. The remedy is simple:
- Make sure your important data is always, always backed up.
- Make sure you create Restore Points in Windows, and System Snapshots in Mint.

Then no matter what happens, you will never lose your data and you will generally be armed against malfunction.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
FellowEsin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FellowEsin »

Noted! Thank you!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

FellowEsin wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:32 pmBut there's still this uneasiness inside me... I feel like my computer could malfunction anytime. Can someone help me with that?
Worry about your car breaking down or something falling out of the sky on your head. You might trip going down some stairs and kill yourself.
Life is dangerous, you will end up dead... and so will computers.

Return to “Chat about Linux”