Putting 'home on a separate partition

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I dont even think you can format a filesystem as ntfs in linux.
you would be better off formatting it as ext3 and installing a free ext3 filesystem reader on windows to read the ext3 partition.

see:
http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Putting 'home on a separate partition

Post by scorp123 »

Dwood wrote:When creating a separate partition for the home folder as explained in the wiki, can you format that partition as NTFS
No.

NTFS is a non-documented closed source filesystem by Microsoft for Microsoft operating systems. They regard this as being a "corporate secret" and hence NTFS doesn't work properly under Linux. Use NTFS at your own risk.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Dwood wrote:Doesn't mintDisk or NTFS-Config enable Mint to read/write NTFS?
And yet you can't put your /home or any other essential partition there :roll:

:D
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

BlahBlah_X wrote:You might want to try formatting your /home with FAT32. Both linux and windows can read that.
That's a dirty dirty hack and you should be experienced enough NOT to suggest such a thing. For one, FAT32 doesn't know zip about Linux file permissions, it fragments and breaks very easily, and all in all it just doesn't make sense.

People should use filesystems that are native to the respective operating system that also offer the right features that the operating system needs. And for Linux that's either Ext2, Ext3, ReiserFS, XFS, or JFS ... but not NTFS or FAT-crap-32 :roll:
Husse

Post by Husse »

I wouldn't say it the way scorp said it, but I second his opinion.
But - there are occasions when a use of a "non native" file system could be recommended, and that gives some of what Dwood wants. When I started using Mint I set up my Firefox and Thunderbird profiles on a separate NTFS partition (otherwise only used for the Windows swap file) and shared it between Mint and XP
There is a guide in either Mint, Ubuntu or Mozilla support.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote: But - there are occasions when a use of a "non native" file system could be recommended
Nothing against that ... you can create a FAT32 partition somewhere and a mount point called e.g. "/mnt/data-exchange" where you mount that ... or you could use an external USB stick or USB harddisk (they're usually pre-formatted with FAT32 anyway when you buy them).

Putting system mount-points such as /home on a non-native partition however is something I can't recommend.

Return to “Other topics”