Is the 'live' version still a thing?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ankheg
Level 1
Level 1

Is the 'live' version still a thing?

Post by ankheg »

Hellow. I was looking to make bootable CD of Mint but I could not find link to such version to download anywhere on the website. However, throu google i came to this subpage - https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=67 that seems otherwise unreachable from website main page. Is this version safe to use?
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Is the 'live' version still a thing?

Post by Cosmo. »

NO. This is stone aged, more than 10 years without support. Forget it.

Besides that: There exists no current version, which fits on a CD; you need in any case a DVD or - possibly better - use an USB stick.

But as you mentioned such old techniques I wonder, how old is your computer? Possibly it is too old to run any Mint.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

All the Linux Mint ISOs are Live ISOs. There is no version of Linux Mint that fits on a CD. They fit in a DVD. Most users use a USB thumb drive though.

The page you linked to is for Linux Mint 10 "Julia", which was released in 2010 and has been end of life for over 10 years. You should not use that.

The currently supported versions of Linux Mint are here: https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php. Click on a version and from there go to the Release Announcement—that has the system requirements for the version. Check if you system meets at least the minimum system requirements.

If you're on a computer that can't boot from USB and doesn't have a DVD player, you can look for the program "Plop Boot Manager" and put that on a CD. Boot from that and Plop allows you to continue boot from a USB thumb drive. So you can boot from Linux Mint on a USB thumb drive even if your computer does not support that.
ankheg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ankheg »

I have of course DVD player but just was thinking that the new versions won't start from the DVD disk or USB and need to be installed on hard drive. I will just download newest version and burn it on DVD. thanks.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ankheg wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:05 pm was thinking that the new versions won't start from the DVD disk or USB and need to be installed on hard drive.
Installing on the hard drive is usually the end goal. But we do reach that goal by starting them from the DVD or USB drive first, and then starting the installer that is present in the 'live' version.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
weedeater64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by weedeater64 »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:58 pm NO.
But as you mentioned such old techniques I wonder, how old is your computer? Possibly it is too old to run any Mint.
Sad but true.

A primary goal of all distros should be to bring old hardware a new life.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

How old? I have a 80286 to offer. :mrgreen: (In the 8086 the power supply has died.)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

weedeater64 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:45 pm A primary goal of all distros should be to bring old hardware a new life.
That's an opinion, and it's one that's not universally shared.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

weedeater64 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:45 pm
Cosmo. wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:58 pm NO.
Sad but true.

a lot of linux distro's claim to bring old hardware back to life, and they do compared to windows, but how old is TO OLD to bother supporting?
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

The demarcation line for non supported old hardware was set when Ubuntu, the base-distribution for Mint, dropped 32-bit support.
I don't expect early Athlons or pre-core 64bit Intel processors to run very well on Linux Mint but they are theoretically supported.
Still it is not a trivial thing that 15-17 year-old hardware can benefit from this "new life" and sometimes run incredibly well for its age.
Last edited by MiZoG on Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

On another thread I mentioned I'd installed Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon on an HP of 2008 vintage. The Microsoft label has 2005 written on it. Presumably Vista.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=380122&start=80
ankheg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ankheg »

Moem wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:25 pm
ankheg wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:05 pm was thinking that the new versions won't start from the DVD disk or USB and need to be installed on hard drive.
Installing on the hard drive is usually the end goal. But we do reach that goal by starting them from the DVD or USB drive first, and then starting the installer that is present in the 'live' version.
I don't want to install it. I need just need a fully working linux that i can start from external source without installing it. Will the dvd of the latest version allow me to work like that?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ankheg wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:31 pm I don't want to install it. I need just need a fully working linux that i can start from external source without installing it. Will the dvd of the latest version allow me to work like that?
Yes, it will.

Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Some are like that and some are aimed at the latest software releases or the latest hardware releases. For example, MX Linux has a special distro aimed at Intel Gen 12 and similar.

If you read the kernel development posts, you find mention of old code that can no longer be supported because there are no developers with machines that old for testing. Distros specifically supporting old hardware have to keep old packages and cannot maintain them without the hardware. The last of the XYZ series might have died or they ran out of paper tape to load their programs.

Then there is the middle ground. Focus on the applications instead of the kernels. Use the latest stable stuff, not testing. Focus on the user interface. I like the middle ground and know how to add the odd PPA or use a similar trick for the few occasions when I need the latest release of a package.

Up until recently there was still a Linux designed to fit on a floppy disk. My last floppy disk became a place mat decades ago. I do not miss those minimal distros. USB 4 and NVMe are too much fun to think about entering the OS by flicking switches on the front of the computer box.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

missmoondog wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:22 pm a lot of linux distro's claim to bring old hardware back to life, and they do compared to windows, but how old is TO OLD to bother supporting?
that's typically an upstream decision dictated by the folk who roll the kernel and if needed by your machine any proprietary drivers
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”