[SOLVED] Cinnamon AND Mate on LM21 [Bad Idea}

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gryphon 2580
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Cinnamon AND Mate on LM21 [Bad Idea}

Post by Gryphon 2580 »

I'm wondering if in LM21 whether this is still valid.....

https://www.maketecheasier.com/install-mate-linux-mint/

Seems like a useful tool and will make it possible for valid comparisons. But since the article was written in 2018, is it still relevant given some of the changes in LM21?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Cinnamon AND Mate on LM21

Post by Schultz »

Gryphon 2580 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:36 pm I'm wondering if in LM21 whether this is still valid.....

https://www.maketecheasier.com/install-mate-linux-mint/

Seems like a useful tool and will make it possible for valid comparisons. But since the article was written in 2018, is it still relevant given some of the changes in LM21?
What tool? The article is merely showing you how to install Mate into Cinnamon (and vice-versa). I don't know how much experience the author of that article has in things like this, but mixing desktop environments can have an element of danger to it . . . causing an unstable OS (thus a "valid comparison" would be thrown out the window). There have been threads on the forum about mixing DEs going south. Since you posted this in Beginner Questions, I'd say forget about it. Pick one DE and go with it. Just my opinion.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Installing a second desktop out of the list, which get provided by Mint, should in principle be doable, but there are users who complain about problems.

The linked article has several problems:
#1 It starts with obvious nonsense, as it argues with "stability" for a second desktop. It is obvious, that a second desktop can never enhance stability, the contrary is right. With such a bad start the complete article is already questionable.
#2 It lacks the advice to do a Timeshift snapshot before doing such an experiment.
#3 It lacks the advice to do a complete user data backup at first.

I will never understand, why somebody needs more than 1 desktop. You can load at at given time anyway only one of them. If you want to compare desktops use virtualization instead and create virtual machines with the different desktops. The huge advantages are, that you can go to any desktop without stopping the current session and that you can compare details side by side.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Yes, installing multiple DEs causes problems quite often, I wouldn't do it. I don't know of any really knowledgeable Linux geeks who would. The problem really is that the problems cauysed are very subtle and hard to fix, esp. in forums like these which aer essentially "over the phone". So the usual ercommended fix is a data backup and clean reinstall.

The only reliable way to add another desktop is to install it and then completely uninstall the one you had before. Not what many asking this questio9n had in mind.

Most of the Linux articles on makeuseof aren't much good. Most Linux blogs are just rubbish. This is the only Mint specific one that's AFAIK any good, written by a member here: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

If you really are interested in comparing desktops boot a live CD or USB of each and do a comparison that way.
Gryphon 2580
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gryphon 2580 »

Schultz, Cosmo, Rob......
Thank you for your responses, input, and advice, and for preventing me from making another frustrating mistake! That's why I come here and ask questions.
I appreciate your candor!
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: [SOLVED] Cinnamon AND Mate on LM21 [Bad Idea}

Post by Reddog1 »

If you really want to do this, VirtualBox is your friend. I run Mint 21 as a VM with a Mint 20.x host (I'm waiting for 21.1 before I commit to a hd install). Works great. Cinnamon doesn't work great as a VM desktop, but is fine as the host system. Just sayin'

Return to “Beginner Questions”