How many versions of Linux Mint do you have on CDs/DVDs?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

How many versions of Linux Mint do you have on CDs/DVDs?

0: The "I've got a USB thumb drive"
63%
1-2: The Environmentalist
8%
3-4: The Connaisseur
8%
5-10: The Collector
13%
10+: The Hoarder
8%
All: The Pokemon Master
No votes

Total votes: 24

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: How many versions of Linux Mint do you have on CDs/DVDs?

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

antikythera wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:57 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:06 pm You can't play or rip music CDs and movie DVDs/BDs with sticks.
...Fortunately the cable that came with it is 30cm long so decent enough to reach most ports and not get in the way. I have seen USB drives that come with 15cm cables that are next to useless if you aren't hooking up to a laptop on a desk.
And that is why I wish manufacturers would stop including cables with devices or permanently attaching cables directly to the device. The cables are almost always too long or too short and vary in quality. I have a box full of USB cables that I'll probably never use because they were not the correct size for me.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:06 pm You can't play or rip music CDs and movie DVDs/BDs with sticks.
Isn't this a poll about data discs? Besides that: For that purpose I have dedicated hardware. And I can use a stick with a movie with it.
Tosh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tosh »

When I first dabbled with Linux back in 2011/12 I had loads of CD's I had burned images to before initially settling on Mint (via Linin win) and then Phat Slakko (Mint would not print whereas Phat Slakko did all I needed in a daily driver and it did print). When we moved house in 2016 the who lot went in the bin.

From March onwards yet again I tried more than a few distro's before deciding Mint 21 Mate was the one for us. Still have Bodhi 6.0 on an external SSD as an emergency system (like it but not enough to be a daily driver) and Fedora 36 LXQT on an old external IDE drive (really liked that but when fedora threatened to stop BIOS support I could not see the point continuing with it. Have 2 sticks now, one with Mint and one with Bodhi as double insurance.
Of course you can. I have ripped pretty much all my CD collection and copied it to USB's that are in the cars. They play perfectly, its what most people do. The exception has been a couple of cars that had no USB socket but in those the manufacturers fitted SD card slots so it was simply a matter of copying to the SD card and using that in the car.

No idea about ripping movies, thought that was illegal.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:27 am
Isn't this a poll about data discs? Besides that: For that purpose I have dedicated hardware. And I can use a stick with a movie with it.
You seem to love to argue just for the sake of arguing. First, you complained that your laptop didn't have an ODD, making optical discs useless to you. I pointed out that an external ODD could be used (there are people who are unaware that external ODDs exist). You then snapped back that USB sticks are cheaper than ODDs, suggesting that ODDs are obsolete and not worth having. I responded with a reason why they are not.
Tosh wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:15 am ...
Of course you can. I have ripped pretty much all my CD collection and copied it to USB's that are in the cars. They play perfectly, its what most people do. The exception has been a couple of cars that had no USB socket but in those the manufacturers fitted SD card slots so it was simply a matter of copying to the SD card and using that in the car...
Do you two really think that I'm that stupid or do you have reading comprehension issues? Of course you can play music and movies that are on sticks. I play music in my truck from sticks because the CD player is broken. What I was referring to was a reason for using ODDS; music and movies you still can buy on optical discs (often the only source for them, especially older movies), not the content on the discs. :roll: You can't read an optical disc itself from sticks. Downloaded music is poorer quality than what you usually get from CDs plus the tagging and documentation, if it exists at all, is usually inferior. I buy the majority of my movies on optical discs from bargain bins and racks.
Tosh wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:15 am ...No idea about ripping movies, thought that was illegal.
It depends where you live and why you are ripping them. File sharing (piracy) is usually, if not always, illegal and is definitely immoral. Some countries do not even allow ripping music from CDs. If ripping is illegal where you live, then don't do it.
Last edited by SMG on Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrected a quote and removed extra quote tags.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I, right now, have four external optical drives. The Spouse Unit has two of them (one for her laptop, one for her NUC), and the oldest has one for her laptop, and the youngest has one as well (with a USB-A to USB-C dongle for the Mac). External Optical drives are still around. I am most likely going to pick up a Blue ray one so the Spouse Unit can watch blue rays on her NUC. I have an optical drive in my desktop that I use sometimes.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

My overall feeling when reading all this, is sadness....

Perhaps we should consider not starting such off-topic threads anymore. I don't know what it is, but in spite of everyone's obvious good intentions (the topic starter is not the one to blame!), somehow these things tend to derail all too often. With casualties.

It's a poisonous dynamic. Maybe we just can't handle off-topic items for too long? La condition humaine...
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:01 pm My overall feeling when reading all this, is sadness.... (the topic starter is not the one to blame!),
Thank you Pjotr, I was beginning to wonder.

As for plug-in CD / DVD players, the more players one has the more likely all the media one has can be read as readers and media tend to get out of line.

Maybe this misalignment is what has happened to the thread too?

Question, can DVDs be used for a throwing game (DVD quoits?) or some such useful thing?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:31 pm Question, can DVDs be used for a throwing game (DVD quoits?) or some such useful thing?
air hockey (or hovercraft fights for the kids) with bottle caps and balloons fixed into the central hole

not directed at you rolly:

the personal attacks on this forum have to stop though. it's pathetic how people behave on here at times, you wouldn't talk to someone like that in real life so why do you think it's appropriate here?
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

This might lighten things a little.

Maybe a bit off the original discussion or maybe not, as we are talking about "chuck-it" items.
For those without English, "chuck-it" referring to something that has become rubbish.

Number 11 is what do do after all of your CDs have been chucked. Ain't search engines wonderful.

10 New Uses for Old CDs
https://www.readersdigest.ca/home-garde ... gs-do-cds/

11 Inventive DIY Project Ideas to Use Your Old CD or DVD Player
https://www.makeuseof.com/old-cd-and-dv ... -projects/

12 Genius Ways To Reuse Your Old, Useless CDs
https://littlethings.com/home/reuse-old-cds

24 Wonderful DIY Ideas To Do With Old CDs
https://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifes ... d-cds.html

38 Brilliant DIY Ideas How To Recycle Your Old CDs
https://www.boredpanda.com/recycled-cd-diy/
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: Topic temporarily locked while under review.

Note that Forum rule [2] Do not be Offensive or Abusive includes name calling and personal attacks on fellow forum members.

Edited to add: Multiple posts violating forum rules (and some responses to those post which are now no longer relevant) have been removed.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

The CD came in a case, now what?

15 Smart Ways to Use Old CD Cases
https://www.diys.com/use-old-cd-cases/

15 Surprisingly Genius Ways to Use a CD Case
https://www.onecrazyhouse.com/things-yo ... h-cd-case/

20 Ways to Recycle CD Cases!
https://craftingagreenworld.com/article ... -cd-cases/
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I found three old dvds with mint 17.3, 18.1, and 18.3!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: Topic unlocked.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Question: How many versions of Linux Mint do you have on CDs/DVDs?
Answer: 6
  1. Linux Mint 9 Isadora, Gnome, 32-bit
  2. Linux Mint 9 Isadora, xfce, 32-bit
  3. Linux Mint 12 Lisa, 32-bit
  4. Linux Mint 13 Maya, Cinnamon, 32-bit
  5. Linux Mint 13 Maya, Cinnamon, 64-bit
  6. Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, xfce, 32-bit
  7. Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Cinnamon, 64-bit
  8. Linux Mint 18.1 Serena, xfce, 32-bit
  9. Linux Mint 18.1 Serena, Cinnamon, 64-bit
  10. Linux Mint 19.2 Tina, Cinnamon, 64-bit
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Att: Lady Fitzgerald,
Yes you can play music from a stick. You need a DAC (digital to analogue converter). Plug the stick into a computer. Cable from computer to DAC, Cable from DAC to your HiFi. DACs cost anywhere from $10 to $30,000.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Win7 Starter-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) [and a few others]
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Peter Linu wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:45 pm Att: Lady Fitzgerald,
Yes you can play music from a stick.
She has already indicated she knows one can play music from a stick.

This topic is about versions of Linux Mint one has on CDs/DVDs if you would like to add to the discussion.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Peter Linu wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:45 pm Att: Lady Fitzgerald,
Yes you can play music from a stick. You need a DAC (digital to analogue converter). Plug the stick into a computer. Cable from computer to DAC, Cable from DAC to your HiFi. DACs cost anywhere from $10 to $30,000.
Sigh! Here we go again. :roll: Again, I never said you can't play music from a stick. I said, "You can't play or rip music CDs and movie DVDs/BDs with sticks." I even later said, "Of course you can play music and movies that are on sticks. I play music in my truck from sticks because the CD player is broken." I followed that up with, "You can't read an optical disc itself from sticks." Jeez Louise, people!

Strictly speaking, you don't even need the DAC (see what I said above about my truck). Onboard sound will work although you can get better audio using a DAC, how good depending on the quality of the DAC, the speakers, and the source of the music. For the record, I use a Dragonfly Red USB DAC to feed my JBL 2.1 system (two studio monitors with a 5" and 1" driver each for the satellites, and a 10" front ported, downfiring subwoofer).

Edit: SMG and I somehow managed to crosspost or posted simultaneously
Jeannie

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

In about 2011, I burned a stack of about 20 or 30 disc's of whatever was then the current release of LM, and brought them into the college cafeteria with appropriate signage to let people know what they were. I've no idea if anyone took one.

However, I don't have any right now since I've been using flash drives for years.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Portreve wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:55 pm and brought them into the college cafeteria with appropriate signage to let people know what they were. I've no idea if anyone took one.
a few may have got used for the intended purpose, but since it was a cafeteria I'm hazarding a guess a load got used as drinks coasters too
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

karlchen wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:34 am Question: How many versions of Linux Mint do you have on CDs/DVDs?
This is what it is about.

OK a list of my Linux Mint CDs, that I can find. Just the Mint systems. Not all have the version and I'm not going to boot them to find out (sorry).

10 KDE
14 MATE
14 Cinnamon
17.1 32 bit
17.2 (2 of)
17.3 MATE 32 bit
17.3 MATE 64 bit
17.3 Cinnamon 32 bit
17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
18.1 Cinnamon
18.2 Cinnamon 32 bit
18.2 Cinnamon 64 bit