Firefox fixed at last!!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking777

Firefox fixed at last!!

Post by viking777 »

Thanks to this wonderful addon :D :D

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12991

And if you think I am a lunatic then I suggest you read some of the 53 reviews that it has.

I had switched to using Opera pretty well exclusively because of this idiotic 'improvement' to FF, but sadly Opera still has not learnt how to deal with https sites and takes so long to load them that (particularly on internet banking sites) your login has timed out before the page even loads. No such problem with FF.

I am not joining a forum just to thank the developer so I will do it here.

Thanks sacharin - you are a star.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Firefox fixed at last!!

Post by red-e-made »

Opera also has squat for extensions. And if you don't need extensions, Chrome loads pages faster than Opera anyway.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I feel stupid, I'm completely missing why this extension is needed.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Because the "improved" Firefox leaves one tab open all the time. Always. It can no longer be closed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I see -- I closed all the tabs except for the last one, then I right-clicked on the tab and chose "close tab." That closed Firefox as well.

I guess I don't know of any reason to close that last tab and still have Firefox open, maybe that's why I'm missing the point of the add-on and didn't see anything wrong with Firefox 3.5.x.

Saw this comment posted today by "Manuel" in the "reviews" section for this add-on:
No extension needed for not closing last tab

about:config
browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab = false

To show the close button on the right instead on all tabs:
browser.tabs.closeButtons = 3

But this extension is still handy to show the close button on the last tab.

Anyone tried that instead of the add-on? Just curious.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

The point of closing the last tab is only evident if you use Speed Dial. Because if you close the last tab it opens speed dial which is what I (and a lot of others) want. Anything you can do in about:config does not duplicate that essential function IN ONE CLICK! It can be done with more than one click but that is not good enough.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

viking777 wrote:The point of closing the last tab is only evident if you use Speed Dial. Because if you close the last tab it opens speed dial which is what I (and a lot of others) want. Anything you can do in about:config does not duplicate that essential function IN ONE CLICK! It can be done with more than one click but that is not good enough.
Thanks, that explains it. I don't use Speed Dial so I guess that's why I couldn't see the need for the Last Tab Close Button add-on.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Is Speed Dial similar to that Google Chrome page that you get when you open a new tab?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

MALsPa wrote:Is Speed Dial similar to that Google Chrome page that you get when you open a new tab?
Speed Dial is a graphical representation of certain Bookmarks, making them very easy and quick to access. I know nothing whatsoever about Google Chrome.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Thanks, viking777. I installed Speed Dial and took a look. Yeah, sort of along the same lines as Chrome's New Tab page.
rekik

Post by rekik »

I was searching for such an add-on for weeks.
Thank you
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Nice find! I had learned to live without this functionality after it was removed, but it's really nice to have it back.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

Firefox is a great example of why the open source community rocks!

Return to “Software & Applications”