Helena KDE CE update

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
warriorpoet

Re: Helena KDE CE update

Post by warriorpoet »

aelfinn wrote:
Husse wrote:Clem is the only one in the Mint team to get paid (yet :))
The rest of us work on Mint in our spare time
And we love you for that! :)
Agreed.
holastickboy

Post by holastickboy »

May I ask, what stops people from installing standard Linux Mint 8, and then just apt-getting KDE? I just did that, and have KDE 4.3.2 running on my machine just fine, and it's a x64 version too? Might be something to think about for those who are so impatient in their waiting.
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

The KDE CE will have a lot of specific fixes for the latest KDE.
roshanpius

Post by roshanpius »

holastickboy wrote:May I ask, what stops people from installing standard Linux Mint 8, and then just apt-getting KDE? I just did that, and have KDE 4.3.2 running on my machine just fine, and it's a x64 version too? Might be something to think about for those who are so impatient in their waiting.
If u do that you are going to end up with Kubuntu 9.10 and not Linux Mint KDE 8. That's the reason why all of us are waiting for the Linux Mint version of the Kubuntu.
The Mint version will have some specific Mint customisations to the look-n-feel to the default Kubuntu installation (and some mint tools?), as well as update all the packages to the latest, which would have fixed some of the annoying issues which were there when kubuntu 9.10 was released.
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

Can I ask Boo a question:
When the RC is available, through what channel will you let us know?
Here? Twitter?
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

I agree with other posters - I have had nothing but problems with knetworkmanager ever since KDE 4 first came out. It was fine in KDE 3.5. It is supposed to be fixed now but clearly isn't: just look at the complaints around the forums.

I have removed it from my kubuntu 9.10 PC, my mint + KDE PC and my simplymepis + KDE machine, and use wicd instead. wicd seems to work perfectly, does what I want - no dramas.

I would settle for mint 8 kde with wicd substituted (or anything else come to that!) After all, it is an RC and knetwork manager could follow later when Boo gets it working OK.

I am in the position of waiting for mint, so I can install it on an old notebook for a friend who wants to try linux. At the moment it is sitting in my workshop with kubuntu 9.10 on it, but I am resisting handing it over as I would rather he started on Mint. I don't like Gnome (never have although I used it while KDE 4 was so awful). My friend keeps badgering me so I am hoping that mint kde is just "days away"!
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

I'm in the same situation. I'm going to install Linux on my neighbour's PC but I'm waiting for a release candidate of Mint 8 KDE!
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I think the iso that is being tested now will be the rc.
You will hear via the normal forum blog posts but usually someone finds it on a mirror before...

on networking i have installed network-manager-gnome and it is the defaut.

I will look into wicd since my wireless is a bit flaky still.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Boo wrote: on networking i have installed network-manager-gnome and it is the default.

I will look into wicd since my wireless is a bit flaky still.

Boo
Good stuff Boo - you're the Man
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

So does that mean it uses nm-applet?
If so I love you.
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

Which mirror will it be uploaded to first?
Matt S.

Post by Matt S. »

I was thinking it would be here first http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/

Correct me if I'm wrong?
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Matt S. wrote:I was thinking it would be here first http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/

Correct me if I'm wrong?

How would we know? Your post seems to have been enough to jam the lines! Can't even open the link - it times out..........

RJ
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

You have absolutely no right to say that.
These people give up their free time to code for this project, and you have no right to demand a particular standard or release schedule.
If you're not happy with it when it comes out, return it to these forums for a full refund.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

markcynt wrote:Image
That''s a cool picture Mark!! And a good point.
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

Alright point taken.
sickie

Post by sickie »

blazemore wrote:You have absolutely no right to say that...
You can't deny him that right, he can say whatever he likes. It's not his problem if KDE edition is giving Boo problems and it's arrogant of you to expect of others to give a sh^t about it. I too am eagerly waiting for it, though I don't complain as I understand that there are problems.
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

But how can he demand a certain level of completeness or features, or a certain release date when he hasn't paid anything and therefore the developers don't owe him anything
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

blazemore wrote:But how can he demand a certain level of completeness or features, or a certain release date when he hasn't paid anything and therefore the developers don't owe him anything
sickie wrote:
blazemore wrote:You have absolutely no right to say that...
You can't deny him that right, he can say whatever he likes. It's not his problem if KDE edition is giving Boo problems and it's arrogant of you to expect of others to give a sh^t about it. I too am eagerly waiting for it, though I don't complain as I understand that there are problems.
He is a troll and his post should neither be responded to or talked about.

Return to “Software & Applications”