I might be switching to KDE.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newfie

I might be switching to KDE.

Post by newfie »

I started using Linux on Gnome, and later tried KDE (3.5) and enjoyed it somewhat. But Kubuntu with 3.5 was a bit... bloated. I abandoned Kubuntu after maybe 3 months of use. I've used Gnome for almost 2 years (KDE 4 was a massive disaster at first) since then, shunning KDE during that time. Over the last few days I decided to take a look into KDE 4.3.. I was blown away by the changes made since 4.1! I think I may actually be switching to KDE again :)! It's so much more polished and has a great feel to it as opposed to 3.5. 3.5 always felt a bit too cartoony and lacking for me, not to mention bloated. KDE 4.3 seems to have brought simplicity and style, especially with KWin. I'm loving it so far. I have only encountered one problem that bothers me greatly; I get very low FPS and a lot of lag in games even when compositing etc is blocked off. I could get 100 FPS in Gnome, while I get 20-30 max in KDE... maybe it's just a lot heavier? I may play games on Gnome but use KDE for "Everything else".

What does everyone else think?

If you haven't tried KDE 4 in its current form yet, I recommend the following..

- Mandriva 2010 Live CD
- sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop (bloated yes, but gives the general idea)
- Avoid Fedora 12 KDE. Nothing but crashing and instability for me at least.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: I might be switching to KDE.

Post by MaddogF16 »

KDE4 uses their own 3d engine, and you're probably running Compiz on Gnome. In time they may get their FPS up a little in KDE.

Return to “Chat about Linux”