does linuxmint synaptic have limitations?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

does linuxmint synaptic have limitations?

Post by mgh »

Hi All,

I am a newbie, have used Ubuntu a little, and recently installed LInuxMint. I like LinuxMint, but having a problem with synaptic.

I need to add a repository so I can install 3rd party software. I copy the URL from the software homepage, open synaptic, go to settings, repositories, and paste the URL. I reload, but the new repository does not show up, nor is the software available when I search for it.

LM comes with an old version of this software (slimserver), which will not function properly. I can find this old version, and install it, but that does not do me any good. I can't figure out why the new repository will not be updated and why I can not then install the new software.

Ubuntu synaptic handles sources a bit differently, but the installation went perfectly.

Any ideas what may be going on?

Thanks for all help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: does linuxmint synaptic have limitations?

Post by antiquexray »

mgh wrote:Hi All,

I am a newbie, have used Ubuntu a little, and recently installed LInuxMint. I like LinuxMint, but having a problem with synaptic.

I need to add a repository so I can install 3rd party software. I copy the URL from the software homepage, open synaptic, go to settings, repositories, and paste the URL. I reload, but the new repository does not show up, nor is the software available when I search for it.

LM comes with an old version of this software (slimserver), which will not function properly. I can find this old version, and install it, but that does not do me any good. I can't figure out why the new repository will not be updated and why I can not then install the new software.

Ubuntu synaptic handles sources a bit differently, but the installation went perfectly.

Any ideas what may be going on?

Thanks for all help.
What are you trying to download?
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mgh »

Thank you very much!

Adding the URL to the repositories list with gedit worked perfectly.

I will keep this thread around to help me remember.

Any idea why I could not get it added using synaptic?

Thanks a lot. I am enjoying LinuxMint.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

mgh wrote: Any idea why I could not get it added using synaptic?
You did it wrong? :wink:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

There's three kinds of repositories:

- Automatic repositories
- Trivial repositories
- Other kind of repositories (which we're not particularly interested in... but keep in mind there's always stuff not falling within categories :))

I don't really use Synaptic (too slow compared to the command line) but I remember having issues with editing repositories in it. I think it assumes all repositories are automatic. Maybe this got fixed.. I don't know. The thing is: Linux Mint repositories are Trivial Repositories and so the syntax for them is different. Maybe Synaptic is not used to that.

Automatic:
deb http://www.linuxmint.com/repository/ cassandra main

Trivial:
deb http://www.linuxmint.com/repository cassandra/

Again, this is a perfect example of the limitations of the GUI. Although it is simpler to learn how to use the graphical frontend, most graphical interfaces are less stable, less flexible, slower and offer less features than the command line tools they act as a frontend to.

PS: Of course, having said that.. Synaptic is an excellent piece of software.

Clem
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mgh »

You did it wrong? Wink
Entirely possible, though it seems pretty straight-forward. :?

As far as the command line, I have been told it is a much better tool, just a lot for a newbie to learn.

I have found some free ebooks on Linux, but so far not a lot on the command line. I hope to be able to learn more as I use Linux.

This seems to be a more common problem with more newbies like me getting interested in Linux because of the GUI. The GUI make it easy for a new person, but so far my experience has been that I have not been able to get a Linux distro set up properly without the command line.

I am not complaining, just a lot to get used to and learn, and I have wondered if Linux is still in kind of a "gray" area between being fully usable with GUI, and the older versions that had to have command line to run at all.

Also kind of funny with my very limited experience, how different distros seem to do different things better. I actually like the Ubuntu DE better, but so far have found LinuxMint has had fewer issues for what I have needed. I'm not saying the LinuxMint DE is bad.

At any rate, I appreciate all the help and replies.

[/quote]
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

In fact, you can do almost everything with the GUI if you're stubborn enough.

Now, learning a few commands always helps, and with time you'll realize it's quite often simpler and faster than going and clicking on various buttons and boxes.

And, last but not least, if the case of a crash leaving you only with a terminal blinking back at you, you'll panic a lot less if you know (even a little) your way around... :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mgh »

"And, last but not least, if the case of a crash leaving you only with a terminal blinking back at you, you'll panic a lot less if you know (even a little) your way around"

Yes, I found that out when I was unable to boot Ubuntu except in safe mode! Thankfully someone helped me through that one, but it was a perfect example of what you are writing about.

Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”