Jack server won't start

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vlovjz

Jack server won't start

Post by vlovjz »

I can't seem to get Jack to start under any circumstances.

Here's the output from the log:

Code: Select all

21:58:29.745 Patchbay deactivated.
21:58:29.784 Statistics reset.
21:58:29.799 Startup script...
21:58:29.799 artsshell -q terminate
21:58:29.803 ALSA connection graph change.
sh: artsshell: not found
21:58:30.202 Startup script terminated with exit status=32512.
21:58:30.203 JACK is starting...
21:58:30.203 /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2
21:58:30.233 JACK was started with PID=7310.
no message buffer overruns
jackd 0.116.1
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread -1210702144, from thread -1210702144] (1: Operation not permitted)
cannot create engine
21:58:30.274 JACK was stopped successfully.
21:58:30.274 Post-shutdown script...
21:58:30.275 killall jackd
21:58:30.413 ALSA connection change.
jackd: no process killed
21:58:30.690 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
21:58:32.419 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
Anyone know what's wrong? I can't seem to figure it out.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Jack server won't start

Post by Husse »

I don't have the time right now to research this, but I know that someone got Jack to work recently
Search the forum for Jack - don't add my user name as a search criteria - not sure if I was in that topic
You did not mention anything about your system - hard to help if you don't
Husse

Post by Husse »

Did it help?
vlovjz

Post by vlovjz »

Oh damn that was the wrong link. Sorry. Yeah I entered the #jack on irc.freenode.net and got help there. I'm starting Jack through jackd -R -d alsa in the console. For some reason starting the GUI doesn't work. I also had to make sure I was a part of the audio group.

To get real time support I had to do this:
Real-time scheduling

JACK requires real-time scheduling privileges for reliable, dropout-free operation. The server requests these privileges when running with the -R option.

Most recent distributions use PAM to manage the permissions of users on a relatively granular level. If the file /etc/security/limits.conf exists on your system, it is using PAM. In order to configure PAM such that normal users can run jackd with realtime privileges make sure the following lines exist:
@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - memlock unlimited
This assumes that the users that are allowed to run jack are members of the group "audio". If you want to grant this right to one specific user you can replace @audio with the username of that user. Usually the limits.conf file contains some instructions on how to use it. Note that after modifying limits.conf and/or changing your group membership you must logout and then login again before any of this will take effect.

If anyone has similar problems just log into the irc channel for more specific help. There is usually someone there and they know what they're doing.

Thanks for your attention Husse.

Return to “Software & Applications”