Cassandra - how long supported?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Cassandra - how long supported?

Post by keithp »

Hello.

I've been trying Cassandra and think it is is superb!

However, I have one query (for now).

The next version seems to be moving along quite quickly. So, for how long will Cassandra be supported and not declared obselete? Or, as soon as Celina appears, will Cassandra be 'out of date' and I will have to replace it? :?

I would do all the Cassandra upgrades to keep up to date with it, but I don't want to have to install a new version of Mint every couple of months or so.

If someone would please explain the situation, I would appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Keith
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Some of the versions of Mint have been "short-lived" and also not quite "mature" I believe. With Cassandra we have a mature, stable and good looking version that you could use for a long time. The next version Celena is being developed but there would not be a need to switch to it....
The repositories for older versions will be kept for quite some time
but I don't want to have to install a new version of Mint every couple of months or so.
Actually, I second that opinion...
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Cassandra will:

- get backports from Romeo until the release of Celena.
- get new Software in its portal until the release Celena (although it is important to note that mint files made for Celena should be compatible with Cassandra).
- get security updates until October 2008 (at least).

Bianca:

- doesn't get backports anymore.
- doesn't get new Software in the portal. (and rightly so cause it doesn't have mintInstall :)).
- still gets security updates and will get them until April 2008 (at least).

Basically, every release gets security updates for at least 1 year. The latest release is "current" in the way it gets Mint backports and its repositories are still accepting new packages and new versions. The second latest release is "stable" in the way it still gets security updates but doesn't get Mint backports anymore.

Clem
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

Clem and Husse.

Thank you both for your replies.

Clem, thank you for the explanation of the time scale. I'm very pleased to know that Cassandra will be supported for quite a long time.

Sorry for the delay in sending this reply. I have computer problems and am struggling to do much with it.

As soon as I have won the battle with it, and things are normal, I'll install mint!

Many thanks

Keith

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”