(S)Giving away money (donation) not always easy

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

(S)Giving away money (donation) not always easy

Post by Alvin »

Appreciation for Linux 21 moved me to make donation to Linux Foundation. I never thought it would be so difficult!

First, I found that I had to use PayPal. I don't have a PayPal account. I tried to create one. PP requires me to have a mobile phone to do that.
Nest, I went to the Foundation's page and tried to create a personal membership in order to make a donation. I was provided a long form to fill out.

How can I make a donation to Linux in US dollars using a mastercard account that I already have?
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Giving away money (donation) not always easy

Post by Moem »

Alvin wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:50 pm Nest, I went to the Foundation's page
I have no idea what you saw, can you please give us a link?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

if you are a grateful Linux Mint user, you might consider donating to the Linux Mint Team. Whenever I update to the next major release, I donate to the Linux Mint Team. The Linux Mint Donate page accepts credit cards, PayPal and Patreon.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

To Moem : You might try applying and see the form. Maybe I was just tired at that point.

To Deck_luck: That's an even better idea than mine, because I get direct benefits from LMF. I'll try that and let you know.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I gave up, I hate Paypal, and have quit using it

I now let Patreon do a monthly, direct debit charge to my checking acct.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

DONATION TRANSMITTED !!!
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

AZgl1800: Patreon, that's a good idea. I did paypal some 2 years ago but dropped the account. When i tried to reopen to donate, i found i was required to have a mobile telephone. Thanks!
Last edited by Moem on Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed all-caps. Please don't do that.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Alvin wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:45 pm To Moem : You might try applying and see the form. Maybe I was just tired at that point.
I have no idea where to do that. A link would help here.

Thank you for donating to Linux Mint!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: (S)Giving away money (donation) not always easy

Post by Termy »

According to Brian Lunduke, In 2021, The Linux Foundation apparently made 177 million USD, of which allegedly 3.4% actually went to Linux. That may just mean the Linux kernel, however. Either way, I think it would be good to donate to Linux Mint.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:53 pm I gave up, I hate Paypal, and have quit using it

I now let Patreon do a monthly, direct debit charge to my checking acct.
Modifying this statement,
I got cold feet on the direct link to my bank,
I changed it to American Express, which gives me a SMS Text Message for any charge higher than $0.10

a figure that I purposely chose to monitor fraudulent scammers trying to run $1.00 to see if your account is active.

AMEX is super strong on reversing charges to scammers, they don't replace your CC forcing you to make a huge amount of updates to vendors who have that info. Doctors, etc...

and AMEX does not accept Crypto coin charges
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
jave
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jave »

Moem wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:34 pm
Alvin wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:45 pm To Moem : You might try applying and see the form. Maybe I was just tired at that point.

When I google Linux Foundation, I was directed to this URL: https://www.linuxfoundation.org/
But for the life of me, I cannot see a link anywhere to donate.

Much easier to donate to Linux Mint instead!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

jave wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:03 am
Moem wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:34 pm

When I google Linux Foundation, I was directed to this URL: https://www.linuxfoundation.org/
But for the life of me, I cannot see a link anywhere to donate.

Much easier to donate to Linux Mint instead!
The link to Patreon is in Clem's Blog each month.

Patrons:

Linux Mint is proudly supported by 592 patrons, for a sum of $2,727 per month.

To become a Linux Mint patron, please visit https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
samuvuo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by samuvuo »

Termy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:12 pm According to Brian Lunduke, In 2021, The Linux Foundation apparently made 177 million USD, of which allegedly 3.4% actually went to Linux. That may just mean the Linux kernel, however. Either way, I think it would be good to donate to Linux Mint.
A link for those who want to read it too:

https://lunduke.substack.com/p/linux-fo ... just-34-of

Lunduke: "You read that right. The Linux Foundation only spends 3.4% on… Linux."

Agreed, donating to Linux Mint is much more useful and gives a warm, fuzzy feeling :D
Linux Mint 21.1 Mate | Dell Optiplex 990 | i5-2400 | 16GB DDR3 1333MHz | Crucial MX500 500GB | Intel i915
LMDE 5 Cinnamon | Acer ES1-131 | Celeron N3050 | 2GB DDR3 1600MHz | Hynix HBG4e 32GB EMMC | i915
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I decided to do the Small Monthly Donation thing.
the work that goes into Mint is huge, and I for one, am highly appreciative of what Clem and gang are doing for us.

Even on a Retirement Budget, I don't miss that tiny little charge for a Hamburger each month, and at the end of the year, it helps Clem's team to purchase needed Hardware to work with. Unlike individual donations, the Patreon donations end up being a "silent witness"... so, to make my Ego feel better, I have the little Sponsor bar in my signature.

wish I knew how to update the Logo name, it was made for me by a forum friend, before I bought a newer motorcycle and updated my Forum Username.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”