Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 Bug topic

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 Bug topic

Post by Husse »

This topic is dedicated to bug reports on Linux Mint 8 KDE Helena RC1. Please report bugs here and include necessary steps to reproduce the problems you describe.

Husse

Comment by Husse - normally Clem makes this announcement but I have already seen an inofficial "bug topic"
Steely

Re: Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 Bug topic

Post by Steely »

Installer was slow to load to the live desktop. It dropped to the command line a few times before loading the desktop. Be patient if it takes a while to load.

I installed the rc on a drive with no other os's installed and created separate / and home partitions. My second drive contains my swap partition along with storage partitions. I did not make any changes to my swap and set mount points for those partitions. Grub2 was installed to the mbr of the first drive. I checked the partitions after the install with gparted and it showed the first partition on my first drive as being marked as bootable ( normal ) however my swap on the first partition of my 2nd drive had also been marked as bootable.

Issues with font sizes ( similiar problem with kubuntu 9.10 ). They are either too large or too small and their size in gtk apps is not consistent. The workaround in kubuntu 9.10 is to set up another font and then change back to the default or just use another other than the default . Sans serif at 8 or 9 works ok. If the fonts are still too small then force the dpi to 96.

Cannot permanently disable fortunes in konsole by editing /etc/bash.bashrc . It will work for that session but the fortunes return after the session is ended ( shutdown, log out, and restart ).

Although not a bug the kdm login window has the mint logo behind it and it definitely impacts on the appearance.
kage

Post by kage »

Hi,

I've had the following problems:

first:
When starting up the live dvd. With the TAB to the command line i had to delete quiet splash, otherwise the dvd would stall in a black screen during start up to the live desktop.

second:
there's no sound on my Laptop. Acer Aspire 9503 with HDA Intel ALC260. Not in the live session nor after install.
All volume settings are ok, the hardware shows:
Analog Stereo Duplex
Analog Stereo Output
Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output + Analog Stereo Input
Digital Stereo Duplex (IEC958)
Analog Stereo Input

I had the same problems with the gnome version regarding sound.

Anybody a solution ?

thnx in advance

kage
pug

Post by pug »

I too had no sound after install. To fix it I ran alsamixer, unmuted everything, and raised the volume on individual channels. The KMix tool doesn't seem to have all the channels required to get sound out of my card. No sound should be muted by default anyway imo.

Also Skype won't install. The app is visible under software manager, but the box beside it is orange. I've no idea what an orange box means and there is no indication anywhere as to it's meaning. Selecting Skype and clicking install brings up a box telling me the action will install Skype, clicking OK makes the box disappear a few little clicks from my hdd and I'm back to square 1 with no skype, no indication as to why it's not installed, and no idea how to install it.

[EDIT] The 'user management' tool in System Settings seems buggy (or possibly just badly designed). I just added a new user, and even though it created the user correctly it created a default group without any name just a gid. I told it to make the default group the same name as the user name, and it created another group leaving home directory with the old gid and the new user not part of it. To resolve I edited /etc/group. I've never used this tool before I usually just use the cli so if this is the way it's supposed to be then apologies.
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

Sound is very flaky for me.
Sometimes it works, but there's a feature in pulseaudio where only one application capable of playing sound can work at a time.
So if I'm listening to a song in Exaile or Amarok, and I want to watch a youtube video, I have to log out and in again.
pug

Post by pug »

I have a Logitech MX510 mouse, and I should be able to make some config changes under System Settings -> Keyboard and mouse -> Mouse -> MX510 optical mouse but instead I get the following...

"You have a Logitch Mouse Connected, and libusb was found at compile time, but it was not possible to access this mouse. This was probably caused by a permissions problem - you should consult the manual on how to fix this."
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikpap »

Hardware = HP Pavilion dv7-1070ev
These issues came up with the live-dvd (the same ones with Kubuntu 9.10).
1st. I can't shutdown the laptop (I select shutdown but nothing happens).
2nd. There is no sound (the same bug does not happen with Main and x64 Mint versions or the Ubuntu ones.
I frustrated with the shutdown issue and for that reason there is no go for me for time being...
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

Where i can download this? Mint 8 KDE RC...
olligod

Post by olligod »

Eesaurus wrote:Where i can download this? Mint 8 KDE RC...
Alright
I suppose this question doesn't necessarily belong here .... but as a friendly thread ...

Please use bittorrent
... and to make it real easy ... except "one-click technology" has been patented by Amazon hasn't it :D
here the torrent on btjunkie.org, from amother post

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/LinuxMint-8 ... 6f789411b7
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

I too have the problem with skype. I tried to install using apt-get and it said that it wasn't available. Seems strange.

I have a small question/request. When I used the live disk, I switched my menu to the "classic style". Then I didn't have the mint look anymore. Will there be mint menu widgets (both classic and new) for Mint 8 KDE?

Outside of that, it's working great on my netbook, HP Mini 2133.

One other question. I use pidgin, and in the main edition of Mint 8 there is the possibility of having facebook chat within pidgin. How do I get that within KDE? Why isn't it there?
vinnievegas

Post by vinnievegas »

I'm having the same issue as Steely, not being able to remove fortunes. It returns after reboot.

As far as my partitions go, they are good.
condowax

Post by condowax »

I don't know if this is a bug or if this is the way it is supposed to be but I noticed firefox isn't the default browser for the system. If I save a web page in my home and then try to open it konqueror is used to open it. Even if a download the page from firefox and then open it by double-clicking in the Downloads windows it open dolphin and then konqueror. I think it would be much better if firefox was set to handle all this things.
Airdack

Post by Airdack »

A bug that was found and a fix:

When you insert the DVD or and USB with the iso and try to run or install the KDE CE, you might get a problem: After choosing an option in the menu the screen will go black after 10 seconds and nothing will happen anymore. A fix is to hit 'tab' in the menu, and delete the 'quiet nosplash' from the line, and hit enter. You will be able to boot the KDE CE, install it and the problem will never show up again :)
olligod

Post by olligod »

vinnievegas wrote:I'm having the same issue as Steely, not being able to remove fortunes. It returns after reboot.

As far as my partitions go, they are good.
you have to edit
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/adjustments/kde/bash.bashrc
(not just /etc/bash.bashrc)

and comment out /usr/bin/mint-fortune

/etc/bash.bashrc is replaced on every reboot.

That should work.

----------------------------------------
( A poet who reads his verse in public )
( may have other nasty habits. )
--------------------------------------
o
o
.--.
|o_o |
|:_/ |
// \ \
(| | )
/'\_ _/`\
\___)=(___/

(isn't it neat how the animal leans comfortably to the left when a variable size font is used...)

OK, this was Just One Last Time.
Last edited by olligod on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olligod

Post by olligod »

condowax wrote:I don't know if this is a bug or if this is the way it is supposed to be but I noticed firefox isn't the default browser for the system. If I save a web page in my home and then try to open it konqueror is used to open it. Even if a download the page from firefox and then open it by double-clicking in the Downloads windows it open dolphin and then konqueror. I think it would be much better if firefox was set to handle all this things.
IT'S NOT A BUG IT'S A FEATURE !
You are now working with a KDE centric distro.
Konqueror is much faster than Firefox, especially on startup, and especially when KDE Desktop and -libs are running already.

But you can always set a different default application on your system.
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

Another annoying bug, more of a papercut.
When you double-click a file in Firefox's download window, it opens dolphin first.

Also apt: links don't work in Firefox.
condowax

Post by condowax »

When I set audio to be ploayed through HDMI it works for all KDE apps but when I try with the gtk apps sound is played through my speakers.
distro hopper

Post by distro hopper »

Seeing as I am waiting for the x64 version, to save myself a CD, I used USB Creator to put Mint 8 KDE RC on a USB stick and give the live version a try. It took a while to load, but when I ran the installer, once I selected the country I'm from and clicked the Next button, the installer crashed. Tried a couple of times.. I never did get it to install off the USB.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

Only been running a bit today and only a couple of things to speak of:

had the no sound, kmix does nothing & has no options, fixed with alsamixer;

classic ubuntu popping sound when I did get some - the fix is all over the ubuntu & mint forums already

during install, I always "Skip" the locale download stuff. When I did that dialog box froze from then until install complete, no further feedback as to what was happening. I wasn't sure if it had stopped but I saw searching attached drive going on so I just left it be- a less patient soul or newbie would have probably aborted install.

pain in the butt for people with multiple distros is grub2 os-prober!! This test machine has 4 other systems on it, all running with /home within root but all sharing a common partition for shared data (music, videos etc). Gave Mint KDE the mbr on install to let os-prober do it's thing. It found all the other opsys; however, would not boot any of them. The problem turned out to be that the os-prober gets its partition numbering stuffed up. eg (all the same problem) Sidux is on sda7 which it finds but the grub.cfg entry generated has both hd0,7 (new numbering) BUT hd0,6 used for init line; so of course it cannot find the kernel to boot. I edited grub.cfg both from /etc/grub.d and directly (I know I know :) ) knowing the prober would change and this happens every time, but only for other systems. It boots itself fine.

Now, I had never noticed this on the other machine because Mint 8 Main did not have control of the mbr so it only ever booted itself. Did a test and yep same problem. SO, it would appear that the os-prober is not working as it should on either version of Mint8 installed with multiple opsys. I have no idea if this is a Mint problem or an "up-the-line" problem for the Grub2 developers?

I can be more specific if you want. Btw, worked around by giving Mepis the mbr - Mint installed grub2 to install root.

Just want to say, GREAT job Boo - well worth the wait. Kubuntu 9.10 is their worst effort for a long time and you have made a workable solution from it. Well done again!

Rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
vinnievegas

Post by vinnievegas »

condowax wrote:I don't know if this is a bug or if this is the way it is supposed to be but I noticed firefox isn't the default browser for the system. If I save a web page in my home and then try to open it konqueror is used to open it. Even if a download the page from firefox and then open it by double-clicking in the Downloads windows it open dolphin and then konqueror. I think it would be much better if firefox was set to handle all this things.
Open System Settings

Double Click Default Applications

Click Web Browser on the left, and change accordingly.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”