Missing volume control

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Missing volume control

Post by cakehead »

I have lost the little speaker from the panel. Does anyone know how to get back the speaker ? It's doing my head in ! Thanks John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beefstu

Re: Missing volume control

Post by beefstu »

If you right click an empty space on the bar click add to Panel then find volume control and press add. If you right click on that and click move you can put it where you want on the panel.
jamesthelibertine

Post by jamesthelibertine »

I have the same problem. If i click to add to panel i cant find the volume anywhere!! Can anyone one help me please?
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

Strange, thats where I'd have thought it was. Another thing to try is goto "Startup Applications" under Preferences in the Mint Menu and see if Volume control is ticked, even if it isn't try unticking then ticking it again and restarting.

I've found out that the volume control is part of the notification area, try adding that that from right-click, add to panel.

Do you have working sound and can you change the volume from "Sound" in preferences menu? If not it could be a deeper problem than just the missing icon.
Mad_Sunday

Post by Mad_Sunday »

Another useful option is to go to Menu>Control Panel>Keyboard Shortcuts (right at the top) from here you can set up keys to do all sorts of stuff including volume control. For me it's a great feature as I use a remote (wireless) keyboard.

Pete
Blacsdad

Post by Blacsdad »

I have the same problem and none of those fixes work.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

This is just a guess, but if the "notification area" were to be accidently deleted, the volume control would be MIA. Try adding a new "notification area" to the panel. Your volume control & some other icons MAY just return.
Blacsdad

Post by Blacsdad »

I fixed my missing volume control issue when I installed pulse audio. Why didn't I have it installed in the first place you might ask?...it should have already been installed with Mint...correct? Well, I uninstalled it an attempt to solve another problem...and that fix didn't work anyway. What was that other problem you may be thinking...? I honestly don't even remember!
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

lol! oh well at least its solved now, thanks for letting us know how. Could you change the subject fo your first post to say [solved] or something similar?
lordgrover

Post by lordgrover »

Bump!

This has happened to me too.

No volume icon/control - I have to go to Control Centre>Hardware>Sound to alter the volume. PITA.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Happened to me once. If I remember right, when you right click and select "add to panel", you won't see "volume", you will see "indicator applet". select that.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
lordgrover

Post by lordgrover »

Nice one. Thanks. Image
MudintheWater

Post by MudintheWater »

This is a simple fix that many users don't properly explain. It's really only a four step process.

1. Right click on the panel and select "Add to panel."
2. Select "Indicator Applet." A little information about the Indicator applet:
a. Each indicator applet only stores two notifications.
b. You can have as many indicator applets as you want.
c. If you have more notifications than can fit in your applet, mint picks the ones that are most important. This is why when you add the indicator applet the way the
other posts say, you only see the wireless and update icons. The volume is unimportant to the system; even less so than some applications.
3. If your volume control is still not showing, add another applet.
4. If you've added a several indicators, and no more icons are showing, but the volume is still not showing, the program may need to be started. Refer to previous posters for instructions.
itlarson

Post by itlarson »

I thought they had just stopped including the volume control, since it was missing after I installed mint 9. Why, why, why isn't it named more obviously in "add to pannel"?
Daveleh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Daveleh »

tdockery97 wrote:Happened to me once. If I remember right, when you right click and select "add to panel", you won't see "volume", you will see "indicator applet". select that.
Thank you that helped me too
Daveleh
Cornwall, UK

Go on - walk1000miles.co.uk

Mint 19.3 xfce fully updated on an Acer Aspire 5349 laptop with 4Gb memory and 750Gb HDD
ultraali453

Post by ultraali453 »

tdockery97 wrote:Happened to me once. If I remember right, when you right click and select "add to panel", you won't see "volume", you will see "indicator applet". select that.
Worked, Thanks :)
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

Found it in lxde. I guess I can find it the same way by going to add/remove items for the panel when I am in xfce?
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show every Sunday from noon-2pm or 89.1 fM
charliehmint

Post by charliehmint »

I installed Skype and PulseAudio wouldn't work with Skype. So I uninstalled PulseAudio and now I have ALSA which works with everything, including Skype, but the volume applet has vanished, and none of the fixes in this thread help. I don't have any "indicator applet" in the add-to-panel list. I can create a launcher for volume control which works, and is almost as good as the applet. Still, there must be a way to get the applet back using ALSA.

Also, in System Settings->Sound, everything is blank. There is no hardware, no input devices, no output devices, volume controls are all grey.
RandomX

Post by RandomX »

charliehmint wrote:I installed Skype and PulseAudio wouldn't work with Skype. So I uninstalled PulseAudio and now I have ALSA which works with everything, including Skype, but the volume applet has vanished, and none of the fixes in this thread help. I don't have any "indicator applet" in the add-to-panel list. I can create a launcher for volume control which works, and is almost as good as the applet. Still, there must be a way to get the applet back using ALSA.

Also, in System Settings->Sound, everything is blank. There is no hardware, no input devices, no output devices, volume controls are all grey.
I did the same.. now i don't have the apple.. did u solved that?
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ebere »

I realize this is more than 6 months old, but I think I have a solution. And I know I appreciate it when someone presents a simple solution that doesn't involve a bunch of terminal commands, etc. LOL

This worked for me, anyway.

Open synaptic package manager.

Type in "pulseaudio" without the quotation marks, and run together into one word like that. (Doesn't work, if you separate it into two words.) Let the program come up with a list.

Now install or reinstall everything that is even remotely pulseaudio. (Don't bother to uninstall so you can reinstall. Just reinstall.)

Once that has finished...

Right click on the bottom taskbar and choose to add to it.

Choose the indicator applet. Just the plain one. That should give you back the speaker icon. It includes the connection information icon. If you still have the connection icon on your taskbar, you can just remove the old one. I have no idea how to remove that icon from the new indicator applet.

I hope this works for some one.

I was following all the instructions in this thread and at least a dozen others here, trying to fix this problem.

Nothing worked. Apparently because some part of pulseaudio was not installed, or was not installed properly. Doing the reinstall, made the icon show up again, in a new indicator applet.

Before, the icon was nowhere to be found. Install applets all day, and it wouldn't be there.

And the icon didn't just show up in the old applet. I had to add a new applet.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him in return." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Return to “Sound”