Linux Mint 21.1 “Vera” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint 21.1 “Vera” Cinnamon released!

Post by SMG »

mattlach wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:38 pmI wonder how difficult it would be for the team to release a barebones version of Mint.

You know, the Mint Desktop, and administrative tools only.
No, according to some people, that is too much. That is not true minimalist. It seems you want a mattlach install and not a "barebones" version.
mattlach wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:38 pmI can't imagine it would take that much time, and I'm sure lots of people would use it.
Why don't you do a search in the Suggestions & Feedback forum where that topic is regularly raised by the fans of minimalist installs? Then you might understand there are just about as many versions of what "minimalist" is as there are people advocating for barebones installs. Everyone has a different idea of what should be on the ISO and they all think the Mint development team should do the extra work to make their specific idea of barebones/minimalist ISO.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

mattlach wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:38 pm

I know there are more of us out there.

I wonder how difficult it would be for the team to release a barebones version of Mint.

You know, the Mint Desktop, and administrative tools only. Everything else the user gets to install themselves based on their needs.

I can't imagine it would take that much time, and I'm sure lots of people would use it.
If you are so determined on such an OS why not do it yourself and show us the result, rather than complaining that others won't do it for you?
Cliff Coggin
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Lou77 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:21 pm I can usually tell when a program is about to take that plunge into uselessness...the developers start focusing more on pretty colors and nic-knack trinkets for the GUI. When the best they can do is offer a ton of new pretty colors and useless eye candy features instead of focusing on bugs, compatibility, etc. then it is usually a short path to lost users.
In so far as this is directed at Mint 21.1 (if at all): the Mint devs could afford to spend more attention to increasing the beauty of the looks of Vera, simply because.... the technical bugs in the underlying Ubuntu code base (which makes up some 90 - 95 % of Vera) are already being dealt with by the Ubuntu devs.

So we can all be glad that this enjoyable embellishing could take place without a negative effect on the technical qualities.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

SMG wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:41 pm
mattlach wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:33 pmInkscape? Why would an operating system ship with a preinstalled vector drawing package?
Linux Mint does not come with Inkscape so that's a pretty impressive feat you have accomplished by removing something which wasn't there in the first place. :roll:
Well, that's interesting, because I'd never even heard of it until I removed it. Pretty sure I never installed it.
SMG wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:41 pm Your post is basically the same diatribe you put in the Linux Mint 21 release announcement starting with this post.
Every time I encounter something that affects me that I don't like, I am pretty much guaranteed to voice my opinion about it. Sorry if you don't like it. Wouldn't be a very good community forum if it only welcomes praise, and not alternate suggestions or criticisms.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

mattlach wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:00 pm
SMG wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:41 pm
mattlach wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:33 pmInkscape? Why would an operating system ship with a preinstalled vector drawing package?
Linux Mint does not come with Inkscape so that's a pretty impressive feat you have accomplished by removing something which wasn't there in the first place. :roll:
Well, that's interesting, because I'd never even heard of it until I removed it. Pretty sure I never installed it.
Then your memory is defective. Because you did. It did not arrive in your system by magic, that's for sure. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mdavies5 »

Inkscape can be installed as a dependant of another program such as Openshot so it may not be obvious that somebody installed it.
No need to keep sniping about it. This forum has always been a friendly and civil place to discuss ideas and solve problems
Cheers, Mike
jvaes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jvaes »

Today I went back from v21.1 to v20.3. My Samsung USB disk in v21 was connected as root and what ever I tried I was not able to become the owner. Most of the changes I made in DISKS or FSTAB were immediately corrected by Mint. In v20.3 and before all that ran without problems. From boot on now I am the owner. Just like I remember from all earlier versions. And no unwanted changes are made in any setting. V20 does what I want where v21 very often tells me what the developers think I should do as that runs well for them. I prefer KeepItSimpleStupid (KISS) like when I started in v17. No, v21 looks great but I think it is so very complicated and interacting and keeping up not needed applications that simple actions can make big issues. Well, it runs, but my overview is gone. By the way, the internet is (over)filled with solutions for my problems with v21. And for several easy to use (a bit older) hardware and software I still use multi-boot W7-pro without internet as even Mint v20 either cannot manage it or is not simple enough to use. Mint can do all and more but sometimes it is to much.
Grenny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Grenny »

I guess it's late saying this, but the update manager told me that Vanessa and Vera were available for me. The upgrade went VERY smoothly and couldn't have been easier. Thanks to all of the team for making it such a successful process. I look forward to playing with my shiny new Mint!
williebthe3rd
Level 2
Level 2

Post by williebthe3rd »

Grenny wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:03 pm I guess it's late saying this, but the update manager told me that Vanessa and Vera were available for me. The upgrade went VERY smoothly and couldn't have been easier. Thanks to all of the team for making it such a successful process. I look forward to playing with my shiny new Mint!
I'm curious... were you running 20.3 and did the update to 21? I presume that's what you meant. When I upgraded from 18 to 20, there was only the option of overwriting the disk, or exit. :? If this transition keeps all of my apps, settings, etc, and just updates the OS, then that's awesome! :D

:idea: I also need to be able to keep the ability to network with my Windows XP box.
Willie...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

williebthe3rd wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:02 pmI'm curious... were you running 20.3 and did the update to 21? I presume that's what you meant. When I upgraded from 18 to 20, there was only the option of overwriting the disk, or exit. :?
While there is no direct upgrade path from 18 to 20, there were steps one could take in between. Here are the steps Upgrade Instructions (updated for LM21.1). The instructions for upgrading from LM18.3 to LM19 are no longer on that post, but they are still available How to upgrade to Linux Mint 19.

If you have questions, please create a new topic. This is a release announcement.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”