Need help assigning permissions for an app - Solved, doing a re-install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bushyiii
Level 4
Level 4

Need help assigning permissions for an app - Solved, doing a re-install

Post by bushyiii »

I installed jellyfin media server, no errors. Jellyfin needs to be able to use the media file folders and contents. Application directions state "For Linux you must grant the service user at least read access to your storage locations".
Googling how to do this hasn't helped. The attached drive with the media files is '/media/guy/7Tb'
I tried using ACl but that didn't work. Here's the output of getfacl: file: media/guy/7Tb
# owner: guy
# group: 1001
user::rwx
user:jellyfin:r-x
group::r-x
mask::r-x
other::r-x
At present jellyfin can see /media/guy but not see media/guy/7Tb
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Need help assigning permissions for an app

Post by kato181 »

With the drive connect post the results of the following commands put it between the code display brackets 5th icon above the text box.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

sudo fdisk -l

blkid
bushyiii
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Need help assigning permissions for an app

Post by bushyiii »

Something is funky with my system, I am now locked out. I am going to re-install LM21.1 and start clean. Hopefully I won't need to ask these same questions afterwards. I will delete this post.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Need help assigning permissions for an app - Solved, doing a re-install

Post by rene »

Once you've done that look into mounting the library in a more generally accessible location; /media/<you> is really intended for you and more or less for removable storage alone. I.e., you want to permanently mount the library to for example /mnt/7Tb; for read-access by "jellyfin" that'll be all there's to it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”