Display issue having monitor on the left

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ruben72
Level 1
Level 1

Display issue having monitor on the left

Post by ruben72 »

Hi,
I have a problem with the display setup. I don't have a screenshot right now but I will try to upload it later.
I have my laptop in front of me and the monitor Philips on my left. I have made that display configuration but I am unable to move my mouse from my laptop screen to my monitor entering from right to left keeping my desktop panel on my laptop screen.
It's not easy to explain but I will upload a couple of screenshots later to make it clearer

Thanks,
Ruben
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Catsbark
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Display issue having monitor on the left

Post by Catsbark »

With the very limited information you have provided, I'll take a wild guess:

Does your computer perhaps think that your secondary monitor is on the right, even though you physically placed it on the left?

Somewhere in your system settings, you will find an applet for Display. Your two monitors will appear (as little rectangles within a larger rectangle). You can drag the rectangles around until they correspond to your actual setup.

If it isn't this simple, please post your system information according to the instructions in "how to get help" linked in the pink box above the post editing box. You will get much better informed help after you do so.
Catsbark
Dell Inspiron 15; AMD Ryzen 5; LM 20.3 Cinnamon
"A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." - Douglas Adams
ruben72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ruben72 »

Hi,
I am attaching a screencast showing you my issue
I am able to move the mouse into the external monitor from the right but the panel is missing on my laptop's primary display
Unfortunately the panel is located on the external monitor

link with the screencast:
https://we.tl/t-TYT5pBy52o

Thanks,
Ruben

this is my tech info;
info:
Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 4236NUG v: ThinkPad T42
Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 tk: Gtk 3.24.23 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm 4.16.1
vt: 7 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera
base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

Regardless of which side the 'Display' shows up on you should be able to tweak things to your liking. because I have to tweak my monitor/TV setup when I initially setup Mint. I use Mint 21.1-Xfce.

once you access the 'Display', you can left click and hold on the screen in there and move it around and you will see the two screen setup as once these are positioned correctly things will drag out of the side of the screen you want them to etc. if you got say two 1080p screens (monitor/TV for example (as this is what I do)) you will likely have to raise screen resolution on the TV as it tends to be too low by default in my experience.

p.s. I had to tweak other things to so programs generally stay on primary monitor etc.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce

Return to “Beginner Questions”