Waydroid on lmde5?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linny
Level 2
Level 2

Waydroid on lmde5?

Post by Linny »

Anybody have any luck with Waydroid on lmde5? It seemed to install and initialize ok, but it will not open.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linny
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Waydroid on lmde5?

Post by Linny »

Updated lmde5 today and received a message regarding a failure to update some component of Waydroid. Still not working after a dozen attempts to start it. If this is not going to work, does anybody know of something that will?
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Have you followed the specific instructions for Debian/Ubuntu?

Anyway, double-check the repository source xed admin:///etc/apt/sources.list.d/waydroid.list

Make sure that the line deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/waydroid.gpg] https://repo.waydro.id/ bullseye main is set indeed to bullseye.

Sometimes scripts that try to automatically detect the distribution and auto-configure repositories fail with derivatives of Ubuntu / Debian.
Linny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Linny »

I pasted the first string that you posted and got this in return:

** (xed:2014): WARNING **: 15:35:59.309: The specified location is not mounted

And the text editor also opened automatically containing verbatum the text in the second string you posted. Is there something special I have to do to mount the repository?
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

"Mounting" cannot refer to repos afaik. You mount/unmount disks/partitions, no?
The message is baffling since /etc/ is part of the system files and your system partition normally cannot be anything else but mounted already.
Unless you created a dedicated partition for /etc.

Well, software source for waydroid looks OK, let's assume that you have probably add the authentication key correctly too...

This page says you need to set special rules when an nvidia gpu is present (you haven't posted your system specs - inxi -Fxxxrz). You also need to initialize waydroid and create a systemctl service as well.

If none of this helps, run waydroid in a terminal and watch for elucidating error messages.
Linny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Linny »

Thanks for your reply. I don' t have a discreet graphics card of any kind and I did initialize Waydroid as a dialog appeared for that purpose. I'll give the terminal a try later. I don.'t know about the systemctl service. Wouldn't that have been a function of the initialization?
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

Waydroid - as the name suggests - runs under the Wayland display server only. LMDE's default desktop Cinnamon is only Xorg.

If you want to run Android apps on LMDE, you should either install Anbox (which as I heard is not quite as good as Waydroid), or you have to install Gnome or KDE as second DE on LMDE, which both offer Wayland sessions (but having two DEs on one system can cause other problems in itself).
Linny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Linny »

Thanks, I'll give anbox a try. I want to monitor some new wireless security cams without using windows and possibly record to a usb drive.
Linny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Linny »

BTW: How do I completely uninstal Waydroid?

Return to “Software & Applications”