Installing cura 5.3.0 on Mint 19.1

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
_Mitch_
Level 1
Level 1

Installing cura 5.3.0 on Mint 19.1

Post by _Mitch_ »

I've been using Cura 4.4.1 on my computer with linux mint 19.1. I'd like to switch to the current version of cura which is 5.3.0. I've tried both versions of cura from the website, linux and modern linux, and neither of them do anything. On both of them I tried right click>properties>permissions> allow executing file as program. Nothing happens when I double click on the icon, or right click>open.

I found in another thread to use the command chmod +x UltiMaker-Cura-5.3.0-linux.AppImage
I tried using this for both the linux and linux modern versions and nothing happens.

Where do I even start with this? I don't get any sort of prompt or error to point to a problem. Does it matter that I still have the cura 4.4.1 appimage installed? Is this a version of cura that won't work with 19.1?
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Installing cura 5.3.0 on Mint 19.1

Post by SMG »

_Mitch_ wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:22 pm I've been using Cura 4.4.1 on my computer with linux mint 19.1.
Welcome to the forum, _Mitch_.

Just as an FYI: all Linux Mint 19 versions go end of life next month and stop receiving support.
_Mitch_ wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:22 pm I'd like to switch to the current version of cura which is 5.3.0. I've tried both versions of cura from the website, linux and modern linux, and neither of them do anything.
Feedback from others on the forum indicate the linux-modern version is what is needed to work properly with LM21.

You are mentioning a version of cura which is newer than the last people who posted (5.1.1 and 5.2.2), so I don't know if anything might have changed in the instructions and that might be why you are running into issues.

Are you still running LM19.1 because your computer is older?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
_Mitch_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by _Mitch_ »

SMG wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:43 pm
_Mitch_ wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:22 pm I've been using Cura 4.4.1 on my computer with linux mint 19.1.
Welcome to the forum, _Mitch_.

Just as an FYI: all Linux Mint 19 versions go end of life next month and stop receiving support.
_Mitch_ wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:22 pm I'd like to switch to the current version of cura which is 5.3.0. I've tried both versions of cura from the website, linux and modern linux, and neither of them do anything.
Feedback from others on the forum indicate the linux-modern version is what is needed to work properly with LM21.

You are mentioning a version of cura which is newer than the last people who posted (5.1.1 and 5.2.2), so I don't know if anything might have changed in the instructions and that might be why you are running into issues.

Are you still running LM19.1 because your computer is older?
The Ultimaker website has Cura listed as 5.2.2, but it shows up in my downloads folder as Ultimaker Cura 5.3.0 so I'm not sure which version I have.

The computer is older, but seems to work just fine with LM19.1. I don't use this particular computer for much other than running cura so I haven't updated because of the old "if its not broke, don't fix it"....and I don't know how to update it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

_Mitch_ wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:53 pmThe Ultimaker website has Cura listed as 5.2.2, but it shows up in my downloads folder as Ultimaker Cura 5.3.0 so I'm not sure which version I have.
I just pulled up Cura releases and it appears 5.3.0 is the latest version. If you scroll way down the page, version 5.2.2 is there. I see for version 5.2.2 it says,
If you are looking for an AppImage for your Linux OS we recommend using linux.AppImage. If you run into issues with launching your AppImage, we have linux-modern.AppImage ready as an alternative.
There is a What is the difference between Linux appimage version and the modern variant? which indicates if one gets the "'OpenGL' probe issue" to use the linux-modern version.

On what operating systems is Ultimaker Cura available? indicates, "Ultimaker Cura is supported on operating systems actively maintained by their software manufacturer or community." and then has a link to the Ubuntu wikipedia page. :?

It also indicates only Linux, 64-bit is supported. Are you running a 64-bit version of LM19.1? If you do not know, open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. In the first line is bits: and after it will either be 32 or 64.
_Mitch_ wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:53 pmThe computer is older, but seems to work just fine with LM19.1. I don't use this particular computer for much other than running cura so I haven't updated because of the old "if its not broke, don't fix it"....and I don't know how to update it.
If it is not connected to the Internet, then you should be okay with an operating system without all the security updates.
_Mitch_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by _Mitch_ »

SMG wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:19 pm
_Mitch_ wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:53 pmThe Ultimaker website has Cura listed as 5.2.2, but it shows up in my downloads folder as Ultimaker Cura 5.3.0 so I'm not sure which version I have.
I just pulled up Cura releases and it appears 5.3.0 is the latest version. If you scroll way down the page, version 5.2.2 is there. I see for version 5.2.2 it says,
If you are looking for an AppImage for your Linux OS we recommend using linux.AppImage. If you run into issues with launching your AppImage, we have linux-modern.AppImage ready as an alternative.
There is a What is the difference between Linux appimage version and the modern variant? which indicates if one gets the "'OpenGL' probe issue" to use the linux-modern version.

On what operating systems is Ultimaker Cura available? indicates, "Ultimaker Cura is supported on operating systems actively maintained by their software manufacturer or community." and then has a link to the Ubuntu wikipedia page. :?

It also indicates only Linux, 64-bit is supported. Are you running a 64-bit version of LM19.1? If you do not know, open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. In the first line is bits: and after it will either be 32 or 64.
_Mitch_ wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:53 pmThe computer is older, but seems to work just fine with LM19.1. I don't use this particular computer for much other than running cura so I haven't updated because of the old "if its not broke, don't fix it"....and I don't know how to update it.
If it is not connected to the Internet, then you should be okay with an operating system without all the security updates.
Thanks for posting a link to github. Downloaded both versions of 5.2.2 but neither of them do anything even after allowing them to execute file as a program.

I did check and I have a 64 bit version of linux.

Since the computer is connected to the internet, should I try updating to a newer version of mint to see if it makes a difference?
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Before upgrade, I recommend also a check if the computer contains Nvidia GPU. Nvidia GPUs can get too "old" and lose proprietary driver support in later version of Linux. So if you find your computer contains Nvidia GPU (which will also show up in System Information), it is better to also post the description out here so that we can see if it will cause any problems. The open source alternative driver for Nvidia GPUs may or may not be fully functional and depends on GPU models.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

_Mitch_ wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:11 amSince the computer is connected to the internet, should I try updating to a newer version of mint to see if it makes a difference?
Feedback from two different people indicate they were able to install linux-modern on LM21 versions.

As billyswong has indicated, it probably would be good for you to post your system information here so we can make a better recommendation. Open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
_Mitch_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by _Mitch_ »

This is what I found from the system information app.

System: Host: setup Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.8 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

Machine: Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP EliteBook 8540w v: N/A
serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 10 serial: <filter>
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1521 v: KBC Version 32.2E serial: <filter>
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 68CVD Ver. F.08 date: 04/28/2010

Battery: ID-1: BAT0 charge: 29.6 Wh condition: 42.4/68.0 Wh (62%) volts: 13.7/14.4
model: Hewlett-Packard Primary serial: <filter> status: Discharging

CPU: Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5 M 520 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Nehalem
rev: 2 L2 cache: 3072 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 19152
Speed: 1604 MHz min/max: 1199/2400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1434 2: 1453 3: 1427
4: 1412

Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA GT216GLM [Quadro FX 880M] vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: nvidia
v: 340.107 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:0a3c
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nvidia
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1600x900~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Quadro FX 880M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.107 direct render: Yes

Audio: Device-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:3b56
Device-2: NVIDIA GT216 HDMI Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 10de:0be2
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-20-generic
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

_Mitch_ wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:58 pm This is what I found from the system information app.
That is how it came out when you clicked the Copy button? I guess the automatic formatting was not working as well in that version as it is in later versions. It also appears you never did update the system. It's possible that is why you are currently having issues with installing the newer version.

To run updates, you would open Update Manager and click the "Install Updates" button to install what is probably a very long list of updates. However, you would probably want to run a Timeshift snapshot first. You didn't supply all the System information so we do not know how much room there is on your computer's drive.

The Nvidia-340 driver is not officially supported in LM21, but it is in LM20 versions. LM20.3 is supported for another two years. I would recommend using LM20.3 for two reasons. One is the Nvidia driver support and the other is that BIOS is probably one of the ones with "experimental" support for UEFI and those have been causing some problems for people installing LM21. (However, there is also the method of installing LM20.3 and doing an immediate in-place upgrade to LM21 as a workaround.)

Version 340.108 came out in December 2019. That was the last version released.
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GT216GLM [Quadro FX 880M] vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: nvidia

Reading through the Cura documentation, you would not need the linux-modern version for LM20 because it came out prior to 2022.

I am not able to tell from the documentation whether you would have an issue running the latest Cura on LM20.3. I see they have specific Cura versions mentioned for older MacOS versions and Windows versions, but not for Linux. Maybe only up to version 5.1 would work on your current system. :?:
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Cura "upgraded from Qt5 to Qt6" since 5.0.0 https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/releases/tag/5.0.0

LM 20.x doesn't have Qt6 support and some stated that they can't get Cura 5 running in LM 20.3 https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/cura

LM 20.3 + Cura 4.13.1 https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/releases/tag/4.13.1 is likely the last version you can get to run on your old computer.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

billyswong wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:25 pm Cura "upgraded from Qt5 to Qt6" since 5.0.0 https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/releases/tag/5.0.0
That may have been the issue OP had with the ones they downloaded. I can not recall for sure, but I think LM19.1 was an even older version of Qt.

OP did not post the full system info, but I have a similar laptop. It's an HP 8440w with a Quadro FX 380M, 8GB RAM, and an i7-620M and I have not noticed problems using nouveau with it (LM21.1 testing in live sessions). I will say you definitely want the 8GB of RAM (which is max for my laptop) for running LM21.1 Cinnamon. I don't know Cura's needs, but OP may want to switch to MATE or Xfce to lighten the base load of the system.
_Mitch_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by _Mitch_ »

SMG wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:37 pm
_Mitch_ wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:58 pm This is what I found from the system information app.
That is how it came out when you clicked the Copy button? I guess the automatic formatting was not working as well in that version as it is in later versions. It also appears you never did update the system. It's possible that is why you are currently having issues with installing the newer version.
Not quite. I opened system reports and the only tabs on the left were crash reports and information reports but neither of them gave me information about my laptop. I opened system info and clicked the upload system information. I copied and pasted the info from there and added but added the spaces to try and make it easier to read.
SMG wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:37 pm To run updates, you would open Update Manager and click the "Install Updates" button to install what is probably a very long list of updates. However, you would probably want to run a Timeshift snapshot first. You didn't supply all the System information so we do not know how much room there is on your computer's drive.
From the update manager, will this only update LM19 or will this have an option to switch LM20/21? Can I make a snapshot from the update manager or do I run timeshift by itself? I have about 200 gigs of free space.
SMG wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:37 pm The Nvidia-340 driver is not officially supported in LM21, but it is in LM20 versions. LM20.3 is supported for another two years. I would recommend using LM20.3 for two reasons. One is the Nvidia driver support and the other is that BIOS is probably one of the ones with "experimental" support for UEFI and those have been causing some problems for people installing LM21. (However, there is also the method of installing LM20.3 and doing an immediate in-place upgrade to LM21 as a workaround.)

Version 340.108 came out in December 2019. That was the last version released.
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GT216GLM [Quadro FX 880M] vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: nvidia

Reading through the Cura documentation, you would not need the linux-modern version for LM20 because it came out prior to 2022.

I am not able to tell from the documentation whether you would have an issue running the latest Cura on LM20.3. I see they have specific Cura versions mentioned for older MacOS versions and Windows versions, but not for Linux. Maybe only up to version 5.1 would work on your current system. :?:
So my two options are update the driver and stay on LM19 or switch to LM20.3? If I switch to LM20.3, will the driver be updated in the process?

It would be great to get 5.1 to work since it includes a pre made printer profile that I need.

Edit: I didn't see there were some posts as I was making this. It might be unrelated to linux mint but I wonder if it would be possible to get the MakerGear M2 profile and use it in Cura 4.4.1. The printer works with 4.4.1 but I'm having some quality issues. The manufacturer suggested updating cura so I can use a pre made profile.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

SMG wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:57 pm OP did not post the full system info, but I have a similar laptop. It's an HP 8440w with a Quadro FX 380M, 8GB RAM, and an i7-620M and I have not noticed problems using nouveau with it (LM21.1 testing in live sessions). I will say you definitely want the 8GB of RAM (which is max for my laptop) for running LM21.1 Cinnamon. I don't know Cura's needs, but OP may want to switch to MATE or Xfce to lighten the base load of the system.
i7-620M contains an Intel iGPU. So it doesn't matter if the Quadro GPU functions or not.

@_Mitch_ may try booting a LM21.1 stick in the old laptop. If it doesn't need "compatibility mode" to succeed booting into a functional GUI, then congratulation. If "compatibility mode" is needed, then there will be a lot of risk and hassles. In such scenario, also test with Mate and Xfce to see if one can bypass that and boot "normally".
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

billyswong wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:34 ami7-620M contains an Intel iGPU. So it doesn't matter if the Quadro GPU functions or not.
I bought the laptop brand new many years ago and it has Windows 7 on it right now. The laptop was never designed for dual-graphics so it most definitely does matter if the Quadro GPU works. Many early workstation-replacement laptops were designed like this and only the discrete GPU can be used.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

_Mitch_ wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:30 pmFrom the update manager, will this only update LM19 or will this have an option to switch LM20/21?
Update Manager only lets you do updates to newer versions of LM19. There is a separate upgrade manager terminal program one may be able to use to upgrade between the major versions (from 19.3 to 20, from 20.3 to 21). Cura might be something which would not be able to go through the process and need removed then re-installed (but I don't know that for sure).
_Mitch_ wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:30 pmCan I make a snapshot from the update manager or do I run timeshift by itself? I have about 200 gigs of free space.
Timeshift is usually run by itself. The default settings save system and installed programs, but does not back up personal information and all program settings.

Your description for accessing the system data seems to indicate programs have changed a bit more than I recall and I do not have an LM19.1 install to be able to give you exact directions.
_Mitch_ wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:30 pmSo my two options are update the driver and stay on LM19 or switch to LM20.3?
The driver version will likely update when you run Update Manager (along with all the other programs and packages which have had updates since you installed.
_Mitch_ wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:30 pmIf I switch to LM20.3, will the driver be updated in the process?
If you do a fresh install of LM20.3, the latest (last) Nvidia driver version will load when you run Driver Manager.
_Mitch_ wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:30 pmIt would be great to get 5.1 to work since it includes a pre made printer profile that I need.
Based on the info billyswong posted, it sounds like you would need to use LM21 to get that.
_Mitch_ wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:30 pmI wonder if it would be possible to get the MakerGear M2 profile and use it in Cura 4.4.1.
I am not familiar with the software and do not know. Maybe there is information somewhere on the Cura website which can answer that question for you.

Return to “Software & Applications”