Create icon to the desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jujielbrus
Level 1
Level 1

Create icon to the desktop

Post by jujielbrus »

Hello!

I'm new to Linux and just installed Mint

If there any way to contact creators of release to ask for add "Create icon to the desktop" when you push right button on a folder or a file?

It takes me 15-20 minutes to find out that it only can be possible by Ctrl+M or "Edit" on Top menu and only then Create a link and then move it to a desktop

Would save time of many other's who are switching from other OS

Thank you! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Create icon to the desktop

Post by Cosmo. »

Without knowing the system details nothing is possible.
jujielbrus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jujielbrus »

For usual migrating user it's not a point. It's just a point of dealing with comfortable interface
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

jujielbrus wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:25 am For usual migrating user it's not a point. It's just a point of dealing with comfortable interface
in cinnamon desktop you have the option to rightclick of file/folder > Make Link you can then rename the link to make it shorter and move to desktop
not the fastest way but works.

or, you can add it yourself if you want with this:

Code: Select all

touch .local/share/nemo/scripts/Link_To_Desktop
open the new text file:

xed .local/share/nemo/scripts/Link_To_Desktop
paste this and save:

#!/bin/bash

DESKTOP=~/Desktop

if [ $# -lt 1 ] ; then
  zenity --error --text "At least one file or directory must be selected."
elif [ $# -gt 1 ] ; then
  zenity --question --text "Multiple items selected. Proceed?"
fi

if [ "$?" = 1 ] ; then
    exit 1
fi

for item in "$@"; do
    ln -s "$PWD/$item" "$DESKTOP/$(basename $item)"
done

exit 0
now you will have a new rightclick called Scripts > Link_to_desktop

last: make this script executable with

chmod +x .local/share/nemo/scripts/Link_To_Desktop
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

jujielbrus wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:22 am If there any way to contact creators of release to ask for add "Create icon to the desktop" when you push right button on a folder or a file?
In Xfce: right click ---> Send To ---> Desktop (Create Link)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Right click "create new launcher here"?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Everyone here has made great input.

jujielbrus...... see that section above surrounded in pink background ( that's virtually impossible to miss. I recommend you get comfy with Step 5 ;) ) that has a blue font link talking about how to get help ? Left click on that link.

Step 5 talks about how to post your system info which includes the desktop environment you're using.

Or you could do it the gui way with the following below.

1. start aka Windows button on your keyboard, type without quotes " system reports", select that
2. left click on "System information" button in upper left area
3. left click on " copy " button in bottom right area
4. Come back here left click on the white area where you type your responses, right click and paste. the click Submit button below.

This site's management put that link there to save everyone time-wasting speculation :). Your desktop environment can matter as to how to accomplish this task.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
jujielbrus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jujielbrus »

trytip wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:41 am
jujielbrus wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:25 am For usual migrating user it's not a point. It's just a point of dealing with comfortable interface
in cinnamon desktop you have the option to rightclick of file/folder > Make Link you can then rename the link to make it shorter and move to desktop
not the fastest way but works.
Strange! I have Cinnamon but i don't have that option when i'm click right button on folder or file there's no option to place it to desktop..........
Last edited by Moem on Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the quotes, so that every line that is not part of the quote, is outside of the quote tags.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

jujielbrus wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:02 pm Strange! I have Cinnamon but i don't have that option when i'm click right button on folder or file there's no option to place it to desktop..........
Nor me, but what you can do is right click on the desktop, "create launcher here" and in the command enter nemo /pathtofolder. If you click on the rocket icon you can browse to an icon of your choice.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
CloneWerks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CloneWerks »

Press and hold CTRL+SHIFT and drag whatever it is out to the desktop.
jujielbrus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jujielbrus »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:41 pm
jujielbrus wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:02 pm Strange! I have Cinnamon but i don't have that option when i'm click right button on folder or file there's no option to place it to desktop..........
Nor me, but what you can do is right click on the desktop, "create launcher here" and in the command enter nemo /pathtofolder. If you click on the rocket icon you can browse to an icon of your choice.
Thanks, but what my proposal is, is to add this feature in next versions of linux mint by default, so no need to unprofessional elders get into details and finding this forum in search of help ;)
jujielbrus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jujielbrus »

CloneWerks wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:56 pm Press and hold CTRL+SHIFT and drag whatever it is out to the desktop.
Thanks, but what my proposal is, is to add this feature in next versions of linux mint by default, so no need to unprofessional elders get into details and finding this forum in search of help finding this or that way ;) Everyone on other OS (Mac, Windows etc.) in 99% do it by right click -> send icon to a desktop
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

jujielbrus wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:01 am what my proposal is, is to add this feature in next versions of linux mint by default
For this you are here on the wrong place, this is a user forum. To reach the developers you need to go to https://github.com/linuxmint
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

if this feature was removed or i added it somehow i never used it much. the nemo/script send to desktop is useful anytime you want to make a link easier to locate.
i'm using mint 19.3 Cinnamon_4.4.8 Nemo_4.4.3

jujielbrus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jujielbrus »

I'm using mint 20.3 Cinnamon

Very strange... why they remove such functional thing...
jujielbrus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jujielbrus »

Cosmo. wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:39 am
jujielbrus wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:01 am what my proposal is, is to add this feature in next versions of linux mint by default
For this you are here on the wrong place, this is a user forum. To reach the developers you need to go to https://github.com/linuxmint
Thanks. I wrote them there but what i got is my topic was closed due completed (?) don't know if they take it into account tho

https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/11565
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

When something has been "completed", this does not mean, that it has been released. Perhaps this will happen with the next release.
jujielbrus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jujielbrus »

Yep, that what i hope on!

Return to “Beginner Questions”