(Solved) Winehq corrupted APT Config

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tramp 116
Level 3
Level 3

(Solved) Winehq corrupted APT Config

Post by Tramp 116 »

I've just installed Mint 20.3 on this machine. I haven't yet had a chance to install Bleachbit or run Timeshift. Wine 5.0 was installed but in trying to update, somehow the Winehq repository has corrupted the APT configuration. Everything I try, both in the GUI and the terminal comes back with the same answer,

E: Conflicting values set for option Signed-By regarding source https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ focal: /etc/apt/keyrings/winehq-archive.key != /usr/share/keyrings/winehq.gpg
E: The list of sources could not be read.

I can't access the Software Manager. I tried running several cleaning commands in the terminal with no success.
Doing a complete reinstall is an absolute last resort.
Any suggestions how I can get conflict resolved before I do that?
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I keep my aluminum hat on tight always.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean the world isn't out to get you.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Winehq corrupted APT Config

Post by trytip »

Tramp 116 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:24 am Any suggestions how I can get conflict resolved before I do that?
from Menu open Software Sources > Additional Repositories and DISABLE Winehq.
close sources and do apt update in Terminal
Tramp 116
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tramp 116 »

Yes. That seems to have solved the problem. Many Thanks.

Just so I can stop bugging everyone on this forum with what are probably newb questions, is there some manual or maybe an online school where I can learn all this? Or am I stuck with the slow, time & experience method? I at least had a manual for MSDOS that I could refer to.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Tramp 116 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:01 am is there some manual or maybe an online school where I can learn all this? Or am I stuck with the slow, time & experience method?
you learn as you go and then you watch some youtube linux videos, and keep a lot of notes and commands on your desktop. there too many linux variations to study and linux is changing too much too fast now. quite many times you can just do an online search for an error you're getting in terminal or open a new thread.

btw: your winehq may start to work , if you willing test next week and if you get the same error could be focal winehq servers not updated.
Tramp 116
Level 3
Level 3

(SOLVED) Re: Winehq corrupted APT Config

Post by Tramp 116 »

I have Wine 5.0 installed and it works fine. I keep hearing about Wine 7.0 & 8.0 but apparently there are problems with these and Mint. I keep reading about "Jammy" errors and have myself experienced such. But I don't understand what the problems are.

As far as watching YouTube videos, I have noticed that a lot of them on Linux Mint, and Linux in general, seem to come from India which are usually very hard to understand what is being said. Also even if language is not a problem, they usually move thru the subject so fast it's hard to keep up. I have reached the age where I learn by repetition and if I don't use a technique very often, I forget it. So I write it down. Then I just have to remember where I wrote it down at.

Bill Cosby once said that as men get older, their brains go into their butts. Something we need to do when we are sitting down, we immediately forget upon standing up.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: (SOLVED) Re: Winehq corrupted APT Config

Post by trytip »

Tramp 116 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:24 am I have Wine 5.0 installed and it works fine.
i'm using wine 4.0 in mint 19.3 which works fine for what i need it for, a few directx games and some audio editors. but some programs exclusive to 32bit won't work right if winecfg isn't configured for 32 bit. sad you can't have a 32/64 bit confguration at the same time.

if you want to try winehq update you'll need to uninstall current wine in synaptic search "wine" and remove. then follow these instructions https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
Tramp 116
Level 3
Level 3

Re: (Solved) Winehq corrupted APT Config

Post by Tramp 116 »

I use Wine mainly to run old Windows programs. Like Irfanview and Bulk Rename Utility. I'm not a big gamer but I do have an old XP machine that I play old Windows games on. The newer Dell I bought originally to play online gaming (mostly WoW, World of Tanks, and War Thunder). Then I found out just how expensive playing live online gaming really is. Ouch!! But that machine has crashed completely and I'm gonna have to wipe the main drive and reinstall. I pulled this machine out of mothballs after trying to load Win 7 on it some months ago. It's gone from XP to Mint 19.3 to Win 7 and now to Mint 20.3 over the past 5 years.

Now if I can just figure out how to get the numeric keypad to work again . . .

Return to “Software & Applications”