May I use a NTFS partition to save some files?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gapent
Level 1
Level 1

May I use a NTFS partition to save some files?

Post by gapent »

Hi,

I have linux mint and win10 dual boot.
Mint in a nvme m2 and win10 in a ssd.
And I have a 1tb hd.

I create a partition in the 1tb hd NTFS so this way both mint and win10 can ready it.
This partition I use to save big files in general as torrents, files coming from the browser downloads, some other projects to save.
I will not install any program on that partition. Only storage.

Any problem with this? I set the firefox on min to save to this partition NTFS.
This partition and other NTFS are showing on mint as volumes that I can unmount, any problem?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikaelrask
Level 5
Level 5

Re: May I use a NTFS partition to save some files?

Post by mikaelrask »

Hey and welcome to the forum and linux mint, the support for ntfs filesystem in linux have been improved with the kernal 5,15 witch comes as default with linux mint 21so it should not be any problem with that setup.
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900
Graphic Card: AMD ATI Radeon RX 7900 XT/7900 XTX/7900M
Ram 32 GB ddr 5
Kernel: 6.5.0-14 generic
LM Cinnamon 21.3 edge
gapent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gapent »

mikaelrask wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:56 pm Hey and welcome to the forum and linux mint, the support for ntfs filesystem in linux have been improved with the kernal 5,15 witch comes as default with linux mint 21so it should not be any problem with that setup.
Thank you !!
The partitions(all them are NTFS) appears as volumes and it respective size on the Mint file manager.
If I click on a partition, the symbol of unmount appears in front it.

It's normal? Can I rename this specific partition that I use for save files for both (Mint and Win10)?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

gapent wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:12 pm It's normal? Can I rename this specific partition that I use for save files for both (Mint and Win10)?
Yes, to rename a partition add a label to it, you can do this with disks or gparted. If you add a label to a partition, e.g. mylabel, it will appear as mylabel in the devices pane in the file manager.

Linux is case sensitive so Mylabel is not the same as mylabel and it is best to avoid spaces.

The other thing to do, file sharing with win, is turn off fast start in win. The default is enabled. With it enabled you will find your ntfs partitions read-only to linux.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
gapent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gapent »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:04 pm
gapent wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:12 pm It's normal? Can I rename this specific partition that I use for save files for both (Mint and Win10)?
Yes, to rename a partition add a label to it, you can do this with disks or gparted. If you add a label to a partition, e.g. mylabel, it will appear as mylabel in the devices pane in the file manager.

Linux is case sensitive so Mylabel is not the same as mylabel and it is best to avoid spaces.

The other thing to do, file sharing with win, is turn off fast start in win. The default is enabled. With it enabled you will find your ntfs partitions read-only to linux.
Thanks.

You mean fastboot in BIOS? It's disable.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

No fast startup, or hibernation. It is a setting in Windows..
https://www.technewstoday.com/fast-star ... indows-11/
gapent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gapent »

RIH wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:08 pm No fast startup, or hibernation. It is a setting in Windows..
https://www.technewstoday.com/fast-star ... indows-11/
Yes, it is already disable.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

What is the symbol of unmount? For me it is this triangle with a line under it disappearing:
unmounted.png
gapent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gapent »

mikeflan wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:42 am
What is the symbol of unmount? For me it is this triangle with a line under it disappearing:
unmounted.png
Yes, that symbol is to unmount. They only appear when you click on any partition.
Looks like linux see NTFS partitions as any external hd storage, like a pendrive, that you can mount and unmount.

In your picture you have label for each partition? In my linux Mint each partition appears just as NEW VOLUME and a number with many digits.
I clicked with the right button mouse and selected "add a marker or add label" I don't know if it is the correct english name because I use portugues as system language, here sppears as "adicionar marcador".

Then I could write a name, I write "mint" and this created like a shortcut above the others partitions with the name "mint" form my partition.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

gapent wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:18 pm In your picture you have label for each partition? In my linux Mint each partition appears just as NEW VOLUME and a number with many digits.
I clicked with the right button mouse and selected "add a marker or add label" I don't know if it is the correct english name because I use portugues as system language, here sppears as "adicionar marcador".
If you add a label to a partition it will mount using the label, e.g. if you add the label mylabel to a partition it will appear in the file manager under devices as mylabel and will mount at /media/you/mylabel. Without a label it will show in the file manager as xxGB volume and mount at, as an example /media/you/f9c5c7f3-7396-4086-bd09-a677a2079cd8. It is using the UUID as the mountpoint, not very user friendly.

You can add labels to partitions with disks or gparted.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

I would say that it is MANDATORY that you avoid spaces. If you have a space in a directory name, someday it will come back to bite you. Been there, done that.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

In your picture you have label for each partition?
Yes, but all 3 of mine are also separate drives. Some drives have one big partition and that is all. Others have a small Unallocated Space or Microsoft Reserved partition and then the big partition.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Reddog1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:44 pm I would say that it is MANDATORY that you avoid spaces.
Not necessarily. If the file name is My Label you simply type My\ Label or use quotation marks.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

But it is simpler to avoid spaces in the first place and remember linux is case sensitive, Mylabel is not the same as mylabel.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Of course it is simpler to avoid spaces in the file name, but is not mandatory to avoid them.
Assume you get a bunch of documents (e. g. office) and they are linked between each other and let us also assume, that the file names have spaces. Removing them would break the function of the documents (at least the master file), so this would not be an option.
richardm317
Level 1
Level 1

Post by richardm317 »

I would definitely avoid spaces in a filesystem and/or partition label. I reckon spaces in filenames are OK -- we've stepped on all those landmines back in the late 90s and early 2000s.
Centri_Fuge

Post by Centri_Fuge »

Yes. And the boys in Seattle may be asking you to register an account with them, then ask you for your credit card number.

Return to “Beginner Questions”