What is the difference between Mate and Cinnamon in Mint 21.1?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emmetk1
Level 1
Level 1

What is the difference between Mate and Cinnamon in Mint 21.1?

Post by emmetk1 »

What is the difference between mate and cinnamon in mint 21.1
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: What is the difference between Mate and Cinnamon in Mint 21.1?

Post by Pjotr »

Look and feel. And some different default apps. Finally, MATE uses less resources than Cinnamon.

Do a testdrive with the live sessions of both editions, if you need to know more. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

MATE uses less resources than Cinnamon
Cinnamon can run with "effects" off or on. With effects off, it is similar to MATE. If your hardware needs light, use Xfce or LXDE.

Cinnamon can use a GPU for speed and MATE cannot. If you have a GPU, your comparison results will be different. This is a good reason to download both and live boot both to test the differences.

Test the file managers in both as the file manager in Cinnamon has some brilliant features. Also allow for the Mint team copying features from Cinnamon to MATE after a few months for any code they develop or control.

If your machine is young enough to have USB 3 and SSD, you are unlikely to see a speed difference. What is your hardware?
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Different feature set. Hard to list them all but you can experiment by yourself. In general Cinnamon contains more "new" features while MATE contains more "old" features.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

1, I like the MATE Menu.
A, you can find a programs real name, (and modify it's launcher if you want) in two clicks, this takes 6 (or 7) on Cinnamon.
B, I like how MATE's menu "remembers" it's last location, say you use all category and scroll down to "take screenshot", and then you want to take another, you open the Menu, and it's right there. Cinnamon always returns to the start point.

2, Some people complain about things being too small on high res. screens, I like how you can scale things up in MATE, by changing the DPI, and you can do that accurately, by increments of 1.

3, Some people like to add a folder to the panel, this could not be easier on MATE, just drag it down there.

4, MATE can use different window managers, and I like Compiz, that alone makes it no contest for me.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200

Return to “Non-technical Questions”