Forums were upgraded — report issues you spot here

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Forums were upgraded — report issues you spot here

Post by rene »

Posting a reply just hung for some 30 secs or so still. I.e., works, but it's still under duress it seems.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I still find it seems to hang for longer than it used to when posting a reply.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You have to blot out the past few days performance and interruptions, that was due to external factors. During troubleshooting of that problem several things were done and one of those was a reboot of the server and that flushes the memory cache which initially makes the website slower to respond even after the root cause is addressed. We should be past that from today though.

There may still be differences in (perceived) performance today with a month ago, from before the servers and website were upgraded. That may be due to differences in how the newer software versions operate. It may also be (partially) attributable to our imperfect recollection of what the performance was before.

In any case after the several bots were blocked at the firewall the server is no longer under load. It's now showing very healthy from the server side.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

Seems much better this am (5:00am eastern daylight). Hopefully as the cache fills we'll get back to normal. The forum is a big part of what makes Mint a great distro for everyone!

Bob
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

There was another outage just now. Somebody was abusing the feeds functionality of the board. They are now blocked by the firewall and we've disabled board feeds. Thus RSS/Atom feeds are not available.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Err...

A refresh had the header back to normal. This was FF 111.0 on W10, no zoom settings and certainly no custom themes or anything of the sort installed.
Attachments
mint-stretched.png
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:41 am There was another outage just now. Somebody was abusing the feeds functionality of the board. They are now blocked by the firewall and we've disabled board feeds. Thus RSS/Atom feeds are not available.
Good Riddance,
I hate news feeds
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

These forums.linuxmint.com got updated with the new logo version on last February. But the team signatures don't match. I created a new version. This is just a minor design issue, so i created a separate topic for these signatures:

Redesigned forums signatures with the new logo and colors for the team
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

There is a problem in Forum and Topic Icon Legend.

Some SVG files are displayed in sizes 915 x 915 px. They should be 32 x 32 px.

EDIT: I am on Firefox 113.0.2
Attachments
big-svg.png
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

As per above same/similar happened -- once -- for me with the logo in the page header. But had it happen once only (and it doesn't happen for me now in the mentioned Forum & Topic Icon legend thread using FF 113.0 on Linux).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Dead slow loading, sometimes up to 60 seconds. Cleared the cache, cleared cookies, no idea why it is so slow.

Last time it took 378 seconds by stop watch to load. Dead dog slow. This is across both my Windows box, and my Linux laptops.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

rene wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:53 am ...It doesn't happen for me now in the mentioned Forum & Topic Icon legend thread using FF 113.0 on Linux.
Oh. This gave me an idea. I simply had to press Ctrl+F5, to force refresh, and now things are all okay, on my side.

Maybe one of the forums administrators should go to:

Administration Control Panel (ACP) > General tab > Purge the cache: "Run now" button

Maybe this would solve this issue for everybody ?
Purge the cache
Purge all cache related items, this includes any cached template files or queries.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

sebastjava wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:51 amOh. This gave me an idea. I simply had to press Ctrl+F5, to force refresh, and now things are all okay, on my side.
The cache issue was mentioned in this post.
MurphCID wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:47 am Dead slow loading, sometimes up to 60 seconds. Cleared the cache, cleared cookies, no idea why it is so slow.
Please see this post from March 1st which explains there is forum maintenance done at the beginning of each month which will slow the system.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

all of this last week,
this forum has been so slow, I can leave the laptop, go get a bottle of water out of the Fridge, return to the Laptop, and my new SUBMIT still has not gone through.

this slowness is really getting irksome.

to login, happens instantly

to View a thread seems to take a few seconds

to SUBMIT a post?
fud-git-about-it, it will be Tomorrow before it goes thru :|

this is NOT just a 1st of the month thing either, it is constant with me..
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It's the first of the month: the monthly heavy maintenance task is running. It was started about 2-3 hours ago and may need up to 1 hour more to complete.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Thank you that is all I wanted to know.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:22 pm It's the first of the month: the monthly heavy maintenance task is running. It was started about 2-3 hours ago and may need up to 1 hour more to complete.
That doesn't account for the slow upload times (and occasional download times) for the past week or so.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:42 pm
xenopeek wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:22 pm It's the first of the month: the monthly heavy maintenance task is running. It was started about 2-3 hours ago and may need up to 1 hour more to complete.
That doesn't account for the slow upload times (and occasional download times) for the past week or so.
ditto,
Zenopeek ignored my comment on the forum being so slow for the last couple weeks, that I can go outside, mow the lawn, come back in the house, and my Post is almost submitted.

it is THAT BAD
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Agreed, it is slow most days lately. Sometimes it is zippy. but for example this morning it is taking up to 30 seconds to show a thread, and about as long to save a reply.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:25 pm Agreed, it is slow most days lately. Sometimes it is zippy. but for example this morning it is taking up to 30 seconds to show a thread, and about as long to save a reply.
For several weeks now, it's been slow for me mostly when saving a reply.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”