Create my own copy of the install-files as private repo

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Basher52
Level 1
Level 1

Create my own copy of the install-files as private repo

Post by Basher52 »

Hi :D

I used CentOS a long time ago where I created my own local repo for all files needed to upgrade and install and in there it was easy to exclude things not wanted like 32-bit files etc but as I've tried to rsync this it seems all files are placed in the same directory.

My question is how to rsync files from the servers and create my own local copy for Linux Mint 19.2 Lisa.
YES, I know it's old and about to be discontinued but I need this particular version as it has a kernel no newer than 4.16 and this has 4.15 and this is due to an old RAID card I use. The hardware is also obsolete so no update to the drivers will be made.

What I want is to be able to rsync all files needed for this version for everything needed in the future in case of reinstall after it has been taken down.
I will later either get newer hardware or move to software RAID.

I tried yesterday to rsync into a 120G SSD but that got full so this is why I ask how to filter out things this version won't need.

//Thanks in advance, B52
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Create my own copy of the install-files as private repo

Post by mikeflan »

The easy way to do what you want is to take a full disk image.
Then you can make all the copies you want.
Basher52
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Basher52 »

OK, but where is that?

I can't find a place for all the latest updates.
The only thing I've seen is the ISO but this is 'old' and missing all the updates.

Oooh do you mean a clone of the installation?
if so, how can this have all the programs that I haven't downloaded and don't use at the time of the installation and it's kinda bound to this specific hardware and what if that brakes down.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Install apt-mirror
Several guides for Ubuntu / debian online but I'm not in position to point to one guaranteed to work on LM 18.x.

There is also a slightly different approach: How-to for Ubuntu "base-system"
As everything on help.ubuntu.com, information is obsolete but this might not be bad in your case :lol:

Lastly there is a graphical frontend that I've never tried but it looks the most promising.
Basher52
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Basher52 »

OK, I'll try this

Thanks
Basher52
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Basher52 »

Nope, not working :(
Seems there's a flaw in the script which I can't find.
The final script that should be run isn't even created.

Hmmm....
Basher52
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Basher52 »

I can't find any doc about this but I've learned that the post script has to be created by me but what should be in it?
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

Oooh do you mean a clone of the installation?
Yes, that is what I mean.
if so, how can this have all the programs that I haven't downloaded and don't use at the time of the installation and it's kinda bound to this specific hardware and what if that brakes down.
I guarantee whatever you do will break down someday. But before that happens you will probably get tired of the old mess. That happened to me eventually on Win2000.
Nope, not working :(
Seems there's a flaw in the script which I can't find.
The final script that should be run isn't even created.
Could you expound on that? You install apt-mirror from the repository and then what??
Please supply the terminal input and response.
Basher52
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Basher52 »

Well, I thought the post script was created by this mirror-script and that it was this script that started the big download but I was wrong, sorry.

I don't know what this post script is supposed to do or how it should be setup.

I finally found an old video about this on ubuntu and it wasn't the post script that downloaded it all, maybe it's a cleanup script.
He said that some 130G of data would be downloaded but as I tested again yesterday I only got about 900M and as the ISO is 1.8G this can't be right(?)
Shouldn't this be at least 1.8G?

I will have to move to software RAID (or get newer hardware) but for this I need time and the end of April is not enough for that.

About the brakedown I ment the server hardware.

Update: One thing I wonder is thst if I need to add some of the archive.ubuntu.com directories too?
I've never used Unbutu/LM so I'm not used to how it gets it's packages and from where... like dirs called bionic and pool, have not a clue what this is.

Do I need to take packages from all the repos that is listed when doing a apt update?

Update2: I now found a sourses.list.d/official-package-repositories.list and I wonder is it all lines in 'sources list' AND this last file I need to use to get a full local repo?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Basher52 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:27 am Oooh do you mean a clone of the installation?
Stuff you haven't installed - You can always wget the old packages from ubuntu 18.04 xenial (think that is what LM19 is based on).
https://packages.ubuntu.com/

As for clone (you really mean image backup), try foxclone:
https://foxclone.org/
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Basher52
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Basher52 »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:35 am
As for clone (you really mean image backup), try foxclone:
https://foxclone.org/
No, I mean clone the installation as he also agreed to.
If you want read update2 on my last post and see if that is what's missing as I ONLY took the LM directories as I thought everything for LM was in it's own repos.

I'll check foxclone though

Return to “Installation & Boot”