Sound output selection to default device doesn't stick

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vineyridge
Level 3
Level 3

Sound output selection to default device doesn't stick

Post by vineyridge »

2007 Dell XPS410 with Core 2 Duo; Linux Mint 21.1 XCFE Device-1: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 610] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: nvidia v: 390.157 pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 16 bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:104a

This is a 16 yo old Intel computer with integrated audio and video. I have installed a video card with HDMI sound that goes to an aged ASUS monitor with built-in speakers. I do not own computer speakers, so the Intel integrated audio is worthless to me.

My problem: both audio devices are available, but the default is the Intel audio, When I go to Pulse Audio, I can change the default to the HDMI audio and have sound, but the default choice doesn't stick. It will not even stick during a single session. If I want to have sound, I have to make the choice every time I want audio.

I recently installed 21.1 Xcfe in a clean install from 19.3. In 19.3, my choice of Device stuck as default.

Is there a quick fix for this aggravation? I'd be willing to remove the Intel audio as a device, but worry that I'd still have to select the HDMI audio every time I wanted sound.

I'm still pretty computer and Linux illiterate.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vineyridge
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Sound output selection to default device doesn't stick

Post by vineyridge »

I just figured out a fix for MY situation. Since I don't use the integrated sound, I went to Pulse Audio in the menu, went to Configuration, and turned the integrated sound device "off". So far it seems to have worked, but I haven't rebooted yet.
This wouldn't work if I were using both sound devices, but for me I can live with the integrated audio disabled.

If this does stick, I'll mark this thread as solved.

Return to “Sound”