No thumbnails on phone after upgrading to Mint 21

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dan_Sykes
Level 1
Level 1

No thumbnails on phone after upgrading to Mint 21

Post by Dan_Sykes »

Hi all, hope you are all well!

Since updating to Mint 21, I'm on 5.4.12, and Nemo 5.4.3, I cannot get thumbnails to show on my phone when it is plugged into USB.

Normal USB sticks show the thumbnails.

In File Management Preferences, on the Preview section, I have:

Show Thumbnails: Yes
Inherit thumbnail visibility from parent - Ticked (although it makes no difference unticked)
Only for files smaller than: 2GB

On the window with the files on the phone, in the View menu, Show Thumbnails is unticked. Ticking it makes no difference and if you refresh the window, it then becomes unticked again.

This is on a PC, I also have Mint 21 on a laptop and it has the same issue, also with other phones, all Android.

Both were upgraded from Mint 20. Could this be the issue? Do I need to do a flat install again?

I know it seems a trivial issue but I work with image files nearly all day from my phone and it makes finding the correct image a real pain.

Thanks in advance!

Dan
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: No thumbnails on phone after upgrading to Mint 21

Post by Cosmo. »

Try this:
Open Users & Groups and create a new account for testing. Reboot and log into the new account. How does it appear there?
Dan_Sykes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dan_Sykes »

Hi Cosmo, thanks for the reply. I've just created a new user called Test and it's showing the same behaviour as my original account. I have a spare SSD, should I pop it in the PC and do a fresh install and see how that goes or is there another way of forcing the thumbnails to show?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Use at first the live system for testing.
Dan_Sykes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dan_Sykes »

Even with a different hard disk and fresh install the thumbnails on the phone won't show. I'm using a Galaxy S22 Ultra but I've tried other phones and still get no thumbnails. Am I doing something wrong with the settings?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I don't use LM 21 (except in a virtual machine) and cannot test it. Wait for another user jumping in.
Dan_Sykes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dan_Sykes »

OK, thanks Cosmo :)
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

I use Xfce so not familiar with nemo but does it have a setting to show thumbnails for local filesystems only?
Dan_Sykes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dan_Sykes »

Hi AJ, I've tried that setting and it just seems to ignore it when a phone is plugged in. If it's on a USB stick the thumbnails display fine with that setting. Cinnamon v20 works fine with the phone, v21 won't display them. Don't worry, there's not a chance in hell I'm going back to Windows :lol:
ste1973vaidis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ste1973vaidis »

same here, mint 21 fresh install. I enable the thumbnails from Nemo settings (Preferences > Preview > Show thumbs: Yes) and its working with local and remote sftp:// directories but with mtp:// its not working and the Show Thumbs button turns OFF. When I list a local dir the thumbs button turns ON again. Any solution?

Return to “Cinnamon”