Battery not charging (in Linux)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Battery not charging (in Linux)

Post by mintd »

Hi everyone,

We just got a laptop and it does not seem to be charging when plugged in with the power adapter. Could this be an issue whilst using Linux Mint or what could the problem possibly be?

When I look at the 'Power Statistics' within Linux it says:

Supply: Yes
Rechargeable: Yes
State: Charging
Energy: 0.0 Wh
Energy when empty: 0.0 Wh
Energy when full: 41.6 Wh
Energy (design): 48.3 Wh
Rate: 0.0 W
Voltage: 11.4 V
Time to full: 0 seconds
TIme to empty: 0 seconds
Percentage: 0.0%
Capacity: 86.1%
Technology: Lithium ion

But when plugged in it just stays at 0% charge even though it says 'charging' above.

Also, are batteries able to charge whilst running Linux Mint in Live Boot mode (i.e. from a memory stick)?

Any help much appreciated! Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Battery not charging (in Linux)

Post by gittiest personITW »

When the computer is off, does it charge?
If you boot into BIOS, does it charge?
Is the laptop 2nd hand? If so, how old is it as the battery has 14% worn down.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

Thank you gittiestperson.
I will double check on those questions, but for now I think:
No - does not charge whilst turned off (charging light lights up, but no charging).
Have not tried charging whilst in BIOS - will try (curious as to how that affects the charging).
Yes 2nd hand, it's from 2016/2017 I believe. Still at 86% capacity it says, but not charging?
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

My first thing to try if I was you, if you have a voltage tester, check that the adaptor is giving the correct voltage. (It should be written on the adaptor - probably 12v)

The adaptor might be the cheaper thing to try first. This is the (usually) cheaper than a new battery.
If not, the battery would be the next port of call. Usually, you'd think yourself lucky if you get 3 years out of a laptop battery. Is the battery in the computer a copy? It is likely it has already been changed.
If it isn't charging when the computer is off, it isn't a Mint problem - but post back with the result and we'll help get you through it.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

I was looking at the power connectors and have the following noted:

Under the laptop it says:
19V, 4.74A, 90W

Asus AC adapter (with Chinese plug connector, Type I) says:
Model: ADP-90YD B
Input: AC100-240V, 50-60Hz, 1.5A
Output: 19V, 4.74A

Then there is a plug adapter attached (Chinese to EU, Type I to G) which says:
Max 2500W, Max 10A 250V

Finally, the plug (adapter) is plugged into the wall socket (EU, 2-pin).

Actually, when I rest my palms on the laptop (either side of the mousepad) it does feel like there is an electric charge coming off. Just thought I'd mention this in case it's relevant!

The full model number for the laptop is Asus Zenbook UX510UXK if that helps :)

What do you think on the above? Sorry I'm not very good with electrics! Is there a specific voltage tester I should use?

Was just looking at this page and trying to understand things... https://www.worldstandards.eu/electrici ... y-country/

I will try the other things you mentioned before and get back to you. Thank you so much for all your help!
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

If you could buy a cheap small multi tester you'll find that you can check the charge of batteries and if fuses are working also - so it is likely to come in handy and pay for itself.
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=multitester&ia=web
Get one with probes rather than crocodile clips (although the leads are usually interchangeable).

Or, go to a small computer shop that you trust and ask them nicely if they will test the supply for you. They might do it for free in the hope that you purchase a new one from them if it is broken - but if they charge you then it might cost more than a cheap multitester.

If you do get a multitester - put it on to DC 20 (look in the instructions). Put 1 prong inside the small hole and the fiddly part is putting the other probe on the outside while looking at the readout.

There is also the chance that the internal power supply in the computer is broken - that is a whole different ballgame and you won't know unless you change the charger and the battery.
If you do change either/both the power supply and/or battery - DO NOT get the cheapest ones from auction sites etc. Look for a 'reputable' supplier if you don't want to get genuine items.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

Thank you gittiestperson

Ah actually I think I have one of those (this is the model below). I hope it's fine - it doesn't seem to have a DC 20 setting - how would I set it otherwise?
https://meters.uni-trend.com/product/ut123-ut123t/

Do I need to make sure the red-handled (not black) probe is plugged into the part of the plug that usually goes into the laptop?
What should the output on the screen be? Around 19V?

Which part/whereabouts is the internal power supply you mentioned that's inside the laptop that could also be an issue?

I was looking at this battery as a possible replacement to test things out - what do you think?
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/B31N1534-UX5 ... 099PFGDR3/

And if I were to test with a replacement (external) power adapter/supply (EU plug/adapter I guess), which one could I buy to do so? How would you search for it online? I wasn't sure which of the spec I noted before (A, V, W) would need to match up?

Thanks again for all your help :) I'm learning a lot!
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

With your model, it seems you might just turn the dial to the V like in the picture.
It shouldn't matter if you get the probes the wrong way round - it will just come up with a minus sign and the voltage.

If the internal power supply is broken then it is a matter for a computer repair shop unless you are ok taking the laptop apart. It might even be cheaper to get a newer laptop though if this is the case.

Might be worth looking at somewhere like laptopbatteries.co.uk or an equivalent store. Look at the reviews for the store and quality of batteries etc.
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

mintd wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:28 pm No - does not charge whilst turned off (charging light lights up, but no charging).
Likely it is not a “charging” indicator but “ext. power is applied”, which is much more telling than a zero-load-voltage at the adapter output.
Successfully booting with adaptor likely means the adaptor is OK.
With notebook off, keep external power supplied for 1 hour (would be enough for at least 80% charge).
Boot to USB Mint live (not to internal OS, you don’t want to damage the file system, just in case).
When booted, disconnect the power adaptor, how long does it last?
Less than 1 minute: Replace battery immediately, only by a trusted original spare part!
Be aware, a dead lithium-ion will degrade even more and may finally burn (whilst fully discharged it may not explode, but …).

30 minutes and more: Battery OK, but Linux may not fully understand the battery information?
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

gittiest personITW wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:49 am With your model, it seems you might just turn the dial to the V like in the picture.
It shouldn't matter if you get the probes the wrong way round - it will just come up with a minus sign and the voltage.

If the internal power supply is broken then it is a matter for a computer repair shop unless you are ok taking the laptop apart. It might even be cheaper to get a newer laptop though if this is the case.

Might be worth looking at somewhere like laptopbatteries.co.uk or an equivalent store. Look at the reviews for the store and quality of batteries etc.

I managed to do the multimeter test on the power adapter today and it showed up as 20.02V - is that fine?

Would the next step be to try replacing the battery? Do you have any videos you could recommend on how to do this please? Thank you.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

sanmig wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:20 pm
mintd wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:28 pm No - does not charge whilst turned off (charging light lights up, but no charging).
Likely it is not a “charging” indicator but “ext. power is applied”, which is much more telling than a zero-load-voltage at the adapter output.
Successfully booting with adaptor likely means the adaptor is OK.
With notebook off, keep external power supplied for 1 hour (would be enough for at least 80% charge).
Boot to USB Mint live (not to internal OS, you don’t want to damage the file system, just in case).
When booted, disconnect the power adaptor, how long does it last?
Less than 1 minute: Replace battery immediately, only by a trusted original spare part!
Be aware, a dead lithium-ion will degrade even more and may finally burn (whilst fully discharged it may not explode, but …).

30 minutes and more: Battery OK, but Linux may not fully understand the battery information?
Thank you sanmig.

Yes, it seems the laptop only powers on/boots when the power adapter is plugged in (otherwise, it does nothing).

I have now tried what you suggested with leaving the laptop plugged into the external power supply for 1 hour and then:
1) tried to turn on the laptop without it plugged into the external power supply - and the laptop does not turn on; and
2) turning on the laptop with it plugged into the external power supply, booting into USB Mint Live, and then removing the power supply - which caused the laptop to immediately power off.

Any advice much appreciated.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Probably battery needs replacing.
BUT, it might be that power supply isn't providing enough juice to charge battery.
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

gittiest personITW wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:28 pm BUT, it might be that power supply isn't providing enough juice to charge battery.
Hmm, low probability, the ext. power supply LED would dim or go off, likely together with the CPU.
Due to different cell chemistries (different suppliers) each Li-ion battery pack has its own integrated protection and charging electronics. If good, it will never drag too much current.
With a deaf battery it will take no current at all to protect the cells from blowing up, same if the thermal protection went off.
However, the supply to the battery pack has a tiny fuse soldered to the main board, looks like a SMD diode, hard to find, it will blow if anything goes south.
The battery pack connects to the main board by a small plug, low chance, but that could be off, too.
The UX510 is relatively easy to open (Torx), but …
Be very careful with powerful Li-ion packs!
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/684 ... OS+battery
See the video linked in the comments or even better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdGCTt3sJcs
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

gittiest personITW wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:28 pm Probably battery needs replacing.
BUT, it might be that power supply isn't providing enough juice to charge battery.
What might you suggest at the next best step?
Is it fair to say that the problem is not with the power adapter at this point as it tested at 20V multimeter (and says 19V on the adapter itself)?
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

sanmig wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:00 pm
gittiest personITW wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:28 pm BUT, it might be that power supply isn't providing enough juice to charge battery.
Hmm, low probability, the ext. power supply LED would dim or go off, likely together with the CPU.
Due to different cell chemistries (different suppliers) each Li-ion battery pack has its own integrated protection and charging electronics. If good, it will never drag too much current.
With a deaf battery it will take no current at all to protect the cells from blowing up, same if the thermal protection went off.
However, the supply to the battery pack has a tiny fuse soldered to the main board, looks like a SMD diode, hard to find, it will blow if anything goes south.
The battery pack connects to the main board by a small plug, low chance, but that could be off, too.
The UX510 is relatively easy to open (Torx), but …
Be very careful with powerful Li-ion packs!
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/684 ... OS+battery
See the video linked in the comments or even better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdGCTt3sJcs
Thank you sanmig.
What might you suggest as the next best steps? Any other ideas as to what is most likely causing the issue?
Is there still a possibility that the battery does not charge due to the operating system (version/kernel/drivers)? Or would this be bypassed because the laptop was plugged into the external power supply without being turned on (and running within the operating system)?
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

mintd wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:54 pm Is there still a possibility ...
Nope, charge/discharge is a HW-function.
You better take it to a repair shop, the Asus Zenbook UX510UX is a good one.
Additionally, let them take out both fans, clean them and the fine grille of the heat sink behind.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

gittiest personITW wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:28 pm Probably battery needs replacing.
Yes, you were right gittiestperson - the battery does need replacing (just confirmed today).
Could you possibly help me find somewhere online to order a new battery for the Asus Zenbook UX510UXK? Ideally an original/official Asus battery, but otherwise another good quality/trusted brand for delivery here in Europe? Thank you!
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

sanmig wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:18 pm
mintd wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:54 pm Is there still a possibility ...
Nope, charge/discharge is a HW-function.
You better take it to a repair shop, the Asus Zenbook UX510UX is a good one.
Additionally, let them take out both fans, clean them and the fine grille of the heat sink behind.
Thank you sanmig.
Took your advice and confirmed the battery needs replacing.
Could you possibly help me find somewhere online to order a new battery for the Asus Zenbook UX510UXK?
Ideally an original/official Asus battery, but otherwise another good quality/trusted brand for delivery here in Europe?
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Just do a search on Google /shopping and make sure you've heard of the retailer (or they have 'genuine' reviews) if you are looking for a (genuine) battery. It's probably worth paying a few euros more for one from a reputable store.
Don't be swayed to save a couple of euros.
However, there are some stores out there that sell quite nice unbranded batteries.
Again - due diligence required.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

gittiest personITW wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:58 pm Just do a search on Google /shopping and make sure you've heard of the retailer (or they have 'genuine' reviews) if you are looking for a (genuine) battery. It's probably worth paying a few euros more for one from a reputable store.
Don't be swayed to save a couple of euros.
However, there are some stores out there that sell quite nice unbranded batteries.
Again - due diligence required.
Can I please ask if you have any suggestions for best websites/retailers/reputable stores to look at (with delivery to Europe)?
I have not ordered anything like this before online and would not know where best to start with Google search for this. Sorry I'm not trying to be lazy, I would just genuinely like to find a good replacement battery. Thank you for your help.

Return to “Hardware Support”