Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale GOG not working

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Voytek Ian Niznik
Level 1
Level 1

Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale GOG not working

Post by Voytek Ian Niznik »

When I click the icon on Desktop it doesn't launch the game. What to do about it?

My system is Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale GOG not working

Post by MiZoG »

I assume you refer to native Linux installers of the Enhanced Editions.
Perhaps, a dependency problem.
Go to installed game's folder, right-click --> Open a terminal here. Type ./start.sh.
Error messages printing out in the terminal will shed light on the potential problem.
It was openal library missing or an obsolete libssl library with those installers in the past.
I believe Lutris runtime if you install these games via Lutris can solve some problems with missing dependencies.
In case it is not a dependency issue, post here a full system report:
System Settings --> Hardware --> System info or type inxi -Fxxxrz in a terminal.
Voytek Ian Niznik
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks.

This is what showed up:
Running Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
./IcewindDale: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And here when I tried to install Lutris:
Cannot add PPA: ''No supported PPA of this name was found.''.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Install the deb package of Lutris's latest release directly from github. Gdebi or sudo apt install ./lutris_0.5.11_all.deb will take care of its dependencies.
PPA is not maintained any longer.

Unless Lutris does the trick, you need Steam-client installed in your computer and
load the libssl library from steam runtime files

My solution with an early build of Planescape EE suffering from this nuisance - later builds solved this problem - was to create a sym link of game's start.sh inside the steam-runtime folder, edit the desktop shortuct (right click --> open with xed or other text editor) and change the exec field to ~/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/run.sh ./start.sh
Voytek Ian Niznik
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks.

I installed Lutris. What should I do now?

The game is in a file on my hard drive.
icewind_dale_enhanced_edition_2_6_6_0_47290.sh
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
This is one of the possible ways to install a game with Lutris's help.
Go to the above link. Choose GOG version. Click "Install". Let your browser open the link with Lutris. Follow the installation wizard. You'll be asked to point the wizard to game setup, i.e. icewind_dale_enhanced_edition_2_6_6_0_47290.sh. Sit back. When installation completes, launch game from the main Lutris window. You have the option to create desktop shortcut and menu entry as well.
You could initiate the same operation from within Lutris. I have noticed that the online way creates/updates artwork for installed games more reliably.
Voytek Ian Niznik
Level 1
Level 1

I tried to run it via the online way but to no avail. It says: standard installer could not extract files to proper directory.

Could you instruct me on how to do that from within Lutris, please?

Thanks. :)
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

On the top left corner there is a + symbol. By clicking it you can add a game.
1st option is "search the Lutris site for installers". It is substantially the same method with the one you've already tried.
Instead of searching the web directly, you initiate the web search locally. You'll end up with the same installer that previously failed.
5th option might be applicable. You install the game normally by running its GOG installer and then you fill manually the fields in Lutris game options. Game info tab: Linux (runs native games). Games options tab: you have to insert the full path to executable, start.sh in this case.
I don't have any game added to Lutris this way so I cannot be more specific.
Voytek Ian Niznik
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your willingness to help and time but it didn't work either...

Those games seem to be incompatible with Linux Mint 21.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

This is hr first time I've seen someone online day Baldurs gate native Linux isn't compatible with any Linux distro.

If you've purchase it from gog.com. You should also have access to the windows version.

I'm willing to bet anything it should run in Wine .

All of my gog.com windows games run in Wine for me. The first Blood Omen Legacy of Kain game , however, was a mess to figure out.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

It was about time to revisit Icewind Dale.
Game won't start on LM 21.1 because it cannot load libssl 1.0.0 which is old and incompatible with Ubuntu Jammy (code-base of Mint 21.x)

Solution:
1. Download old libssl 1.0.0 package
2. Don't install it system-wide! Just extract the contents with Archive Manager. You need what is inside the sub-folder usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/

3. Prepend env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path-to-extracted-files/ to run the game executable in the command line or edit the EXEC field in its menu entry.
The same thing can be done easily in "graphical" way if you use the installation script for Lutris. Select game --> Right click "Configure" --> Game Options.

I created a folder named 'lib' inside game's directory and extracted required files into this folder.
Florian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Florian »

Alternatively, you can run the non-enhanced versions with gemrb, the open source interpreter. According to their website the status of gemrb for either of them is "polished":

https://gemrb.org/Features.html
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

From someone who has spent a thousand hours on BG I+II (on LInux!): No one plays the non-enhanced editions without a ton of mods and add-ons. Gemrb cannot really cope with them despite improvements in the latest version.

Return to “Gaming”