[SOLVED] Disable trackpoint and touchpad - Dell Latitude E6400, Mint 21.1

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wnjeffers24946
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Disable trackpoint and touchpad - Dell Latitude E6400, Mint 21.1

Post by wnjeffers24946 »

I have a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop and have just installed a SSD in place of the HDD and updated to Linux Mint 21.1. I’ve been configuring everything like I wish and have come up against an old problem that I have previously failed to fix.

I wish to disable the Trackpoint and Touchpad. I have entered BIOS and do not see a choice which will let me make the desired changes. After asking at a Dell forum, it appears that I need to find a solution in Linux.

I tried the commands : xinput - set-prop "AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint Stick" "Device Enabled" 0
and : xinput --set-prop "AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint Touchpad" "Device Enabled" 0

Both worked until I rebooted.

How do I permanently disable these devices?

I also have the same problem with the touchpad on a Acer Chromebook running Mint 21.1. I assume that if there is a Linux Mint solution, that I can also apply it to that computer.

Thanks!
Wayne
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Disable trackpoint and touchpad - Dell Latitude E6400, Mint 21.1

Post by SMG »

wnjeffers24946 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:52 pmI tried the commands : xinput - set-prop "AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint Stick" "Device Enabled" 0
and : xinput --set-prop "AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint Touchpad" "Device Enabled" 0

Both worked until I rebooted.

How do I permanently disable these devices?
What happens if you go into the "Mouse & Touchpad" app and disable the touchpad?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
wnjeffers24946
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wnjeffers24946 »

As an indication of how new I am to doing much with the Mint computers except using them for Firefox and minimal work processing, I failed to check the Preferences app. Changing the touchpad setting in “Mouse and Touchpad” worked a charm for disabling the touchpad on both laptops. Thanks!!!

But I still haven’t found a solution to disable the trackpoint. Any suggestions for that?

Wayne
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

wnjeffers24946 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:30 pmBut I still haven’t found a solution to disable the trackpoint. Any suggestions for that?
Take the line you used to disable the trackpoint and copy and paste it at the end of your existing .login file (hidden file in your home directory) and save the file. The file should execute that line when you log in.

However, sometimes adding to the file does not work. If that is the case, there are several options to try and make the line more automated.

My HP laptop has a separate connection cable to the motherboard just for the trackpoint. I don't know if Dell does that, but if they do, removing that cable connection would permanently disable it.
wnjeffers24946
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wnjeffers24946 »

I’ve always hesitated to try solutions I find written in the context of other versions of Linux when searching, e.g. Ubuntu. Never sure how safe and effective they may be for Mint.

I just added the command that worked temporarily, as you suggested, but using the “Startup Applications” app in Mint. That seems to work. Thanks again!!!

Wayne
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

wnjeffers24946 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:04 pmI just added the command that worked temporarily, as you suggested, but using the “Startup Applications” app in Mint. That seems to work. Thanks again!!!
It seems you are all set. Please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue.

Return to “Hardware Support”