[SOLVED] Filter new LM forum posts by language(s) understood

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
mikaelv
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Filter new LM forum posts by language(s) understood

Post by mikaelv »

Is there an easy way to filter new posts on the Linux Mint forums so that only languages I understand are displayed? I have been using the "New posts" quick link at the top left of the forum, but I'd like to narrow the results to show only English, French and Norwegian (I'm learning) posts.
Thanks/merci!
Last edited by mikaelv on Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Filter new LM forum posts by language(s) understood

Post by rene »

Not available AFAI, and FWIW I requested something similar for the "Unanswered topics" link a while back; viewtopic.php?t=359719. If it is / would be implementable I still believe both that one and then here as per your request "New posts" would gain in usability.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mikaelv wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:07 pm I have been using the "New posts" quick link at the top left of the forum, but I'd like to narrow the results to show only English, French and Norwegian (I'm learning) posts.
We do not have a Norwegian forum so there will not be any posts in Norwegian.

All posts on the Français - French forum must be in French. New posts will be at the top of that list. The red and green circles on the left side let you know if you have not (red) or have (green) read all posts in a topic.

All posts not in the International Forums must be in English. Here is the Board index which lists all forums.

I am not aware of any way to filter the output of the quick links to only show specific forums.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

mikaelv wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:07 pm Is there an easy way to filter new posts on the Linux Mint forums so that only languages I understand are displayed?
For which purpose? If you see a non-English post outside of a language board, than the poster had made a mistake and the team will quickly move the post to the proper place.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:30 am For which purpose? If you see a non-English post outside of a language board, than the poster had made a mistake and the team will quickly move the post to the proper place.
That is all on the opening post. OP is using New posts, which shows new posts from all forums, and can help on some languages but not on others.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

mikaelv wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:07 pm Is there an easy way to filter new posts on the Linux Mint forums so that only languages I understand are displayed? I have been using the "New posts" […]
phpBB doesn't offer a functionality for this. There is no easy way to filter new posts except by eye :wink:

You might be able to program something yourself with user scripts in your web browser, to hide rows on the New posts page that have a link to a forum you don't want to see.
mikaelv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikaelv »

Thanks to everyone for chiming in with information and suggestions.
I consider my question answered. Now I have to figure out how to mark it "solved"!
M
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mikaelv wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:08 pmNow I have to figure out how to mark it "solved"!
Go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue. (animated gif courtesy of user BJZilberman)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”