HP 5000 GN Fails to install on 21.1

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Motofixxer
Level 1
Level 1

HP 5000 GN Fails to install on 21.1

Post by Motofixxer »

Ok so tried setting up the HP 5000GN connected as a network printer. The printer wizard can see it, then starts searching for drivers and thinks for a while then says "CUPS Server Error
"There was an error during CUPS operation ‘Success’"
The printer won't install. I tried selecting Generic Cups-BRF and get same error.

Hp_Lip is 3.21.12
I tried the Hp-plugin and it gives freezes and doesn't install the drivers either.

So I tried to setup printer in a previous ver 20 I have running and everything went flawless and took seconds.Printed a test page seemed to be just fine. I also tried copying the .ppd printer file over, change permissions to wide open, modified the ver to say 3.21.12 but it still doesn't work.

I'm stumped as to what can be preventing it from installing drivers.
The previous ver 20 is now telling me there's an upgrade to 21...but I wanna hold off till I have the printer working.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: HP 5000 GN Fails to install on 21.1

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Your printer is fully supported hy hplip, network and USB, from version 9.5, see https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ices/index.

In Linux Mint 21.x, "ipp-usb" and "sane-airscan" are installed by default. They are there for driverless printing / scanning, and so they prevent the use of drivers for printing and scanning.

So,

Code: Select all

# uninstall ipp-usb and sane-airscan
sudo apt remove ipp-usb sane-airscan
# install or reinstall hplip
sudo apt install hplip
Restart, and it should work.

Read: https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... nters.html

Regards,

MN
Level 1

Post by Motofixxer »

MikeNovember wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:42 am
Restart, and it should work.

Yes, I know it "SHOULD WORK" but it doesn't.
I removed them as you described then did the install hplip and got a message saying newest version already installed.
rebooted whole machine for good measure

Go back to add printer wizard
Entered URI of printer I got from the Ver 20 that's working, and get same
CUPS Server Error
There was an error during CUPS operation ‘Success’

Under Network printer it lists the printer, select then the Connection box HP Linux Imaging and Printing, and it begins searching for driver
again same error

Then from the connection box try selecting AppSocket/HP JetDirect, begins searching for drivers and again same error
CUPS Server Error
There was an error during CUPS operation ‘Success’
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

High,

You might try to reinstall cups, or to update it with the following PPA https://launchpad.net/~ubuntubudgie-dev ... buntu/cups.

You can try to use cups browser interface to set-up your printer:

Check that its web interface works: a click on http://localhost:631/admin should open a page on your browser allowing you to manage printers.

If you receive a connection error (ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED), this means that Cups server is not configured correctly to listen on localhost.
To correct this:

xed:////etc/cups/cupsd.conf
Paste the following line, near (before or after) the lines with "Listen", then save the edited file and quit Xed:

Listen 127.0.0.1:631
Restart cups:

sudo systemctl restart cups
Now, clicking on http://localhost:631/admin should open the cups printers management page.

In order to be able to use Cups web interface, your username should be member of lpdamin group. Add it (if it is already added, you will get the confirmation as the command answer):

sudo usermod -aG lpadmin username
NB: Cups username to set up / use is your actual username, and cups password is the one you use for sudo.

Regards,

MN
Level 1

Post by Motofixxer »

So there's a newer version hplip 3.22.10 available on HP site and instructions for it

Install hplip-3.22.10
gives red error: Linuxmint-21-1 is not supported, so all dependencies may not be installed. However trying to install using Linuxmint-21 version packages
Press y to continue auto installation
type yes to some automatic install stuff
confirm Mint 21.1
it ran some hplip libs remove commands
then says missing dependencies,
libjpeg
libtool
cups-devel
cups-image
libusb
sane-devel
libavahi-dev
libcrypto
python3-pyqt4-dbus
python3-pyqt4
python3-pyqt5-dbus
python3-pyqt5

and option to install y or n
so obviously enter y
then error saying note Installation of dependencies requires an active Internet connection
gives list of packages again
says error: can't continue Please manually install dependency and run installer again

verified I have internet I can get to google and access pages etc
run installer again go through same steps and gives same error saying can't continue without this dependency please manually install this dependency and re-run this installer

I tried going through custom install and manually select Mint 20.3 and get about the same results
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

In Linux Mint 21.x, "ipp-usb" and "sane-airscan" are installed by default. They are there for driverless printing / scanning, and so they prevent the use of drivers for printing and scanning.

So,

sudo apt install hplip
The 5000DN was first vended well before 2000. The IPP-over-USB protocol wasn't ratified until 2012. Confusing advice :).
--
Brian.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

brian_p wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:01 pm

So,

sudo apt install hplip
The 5000DN was first vended well before 2000. The IPP-over-USB protocol wasn't ratified until 2012. Confusing advice :).
Hi,

I don't understand your comment: my advice is to uninstall "ipp-usb" and "sane-airscan", installed by default on Linux Mint 21, preventing the use of drivers (and not adapted to an old printer...). Did you really read what I wrote?

Regards,

MN
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Motofixxer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:31 pm So there's a newer version hplip 3.22.10 available on HP site and instructions for it

Install hplip-3.22.10
gives red error: Linuxmint-21-1 is not supported, so all dependencies may not be installed. However trying to install using Linuxmint-21 version
[...]
Hi,

At the moment the latest version of HPLIP doesn't recognize Linux Mint 21.1 and cannot be installed without errors.

However, you don't need this latest version: the hplip package provided with Linux Mint 21.1 is enough for your (old model) printer.

That's why I recommended you to install it, not the online version.

So,

- If you have a Timeshift snapshot prior to online HPLIP installation, use it to go back.

- If not, hope a fresh install of hplip package will be good.

- In all cases,

sudo apt install hplip
Then restart, power on your printer: it should be detected. Then launch CUPS browser, go to "Administration", select your printer and set-it up. When required, enter your password.

Regards,

MN
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

MikeNovember wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:58 am I don't understand your comment: my advice is to uninstall "ipp-usb" and "sane-airscan", installed by default on Linux Mint 21, preventing the use of drivers (and not adapted to an old printer...). Did you really read what I wrote?
The 5000DN has absolutely no knowledge of the IPP-over-USB protocol; ipp-usb cannot communicate with it. It doesn't matter whether ipp-usb is on the system or not because the 5000DN would never, ever interact with it. ipp-usb does not (and never can do) prevent drivers being used with the 5000DN .

So - why advise its removal?
--
Brian.
Motofixxer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Motofixxer »

So after some more testing I found out the Live USB does work to setup the printer. It installs and prints fine. But after a reinstall of Mint...it no longer works or will install the drivers to setup the printer. It just fails at the installing drivers search. So clearly there's an issue that breaks things after the install.
Motofixxer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Motofixxer »

A little more info after some experimentation. So an older install of Mint 20.3 with the printer installed and working. Upgrade to Mint 21.1 and the printer still works correctly after the upgrade. So it won't work correctly on a 21.1 new install but it works on an upgrade and the Live USB
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

brian_p wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:32 pm
MikeNovember wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:58 am I don't understand your comment: my advice is to uninstall "ipp-usb" and "sane-airscan", installed by default on Linux Mint 21, preventing the use of drivers (and not adapted to an old printer...). Did you really read what I wrote?
The 5000DN has absolutely no knowledge of the IPP-over-USB protocol; ipp-usb cannot communicate with it. It doesn't matter whether ipp-usb is on the system or not because the 5000DN would never, ever interact with it. ipp-usb does not (and never can do) prevent drivers being used with the 5000DN .

So - why advise its removal?
Hi,

From Linux Mint users manual https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... nters.html
Driverless Printing and Scanning (IPP)
Since version 21, Linux Mint features driverless printing and scanning:

Printers and scanners are detected and added automatically.
Communication with the device is done via a standard protocol called IPP.
No drivers are needed.
Installed drivers are not used.
This standard protocol works with many devices, so for most printers and scanners, there is nothing to do. Everything just works out of the box.

To print a document open File -> Print… in your application.

To scan a document open Document Scanner from the application menu.

Manufacturer Drivers
If your device doesn’t work well with IPP you can use drivers from your manufacturer instead.

In this case you need to:

Disable IPP
Install your manufacturer’s drivers

Disabling IPP
IPP takes priority so as long as it’s installed, drivers won’t be used.
To remove IPP support from your computer open a terminal and type:
apt remove ipp-usb sane-airscan
Regards,

MN

Return to “Printers & Scanners”