New Wallpaper Request

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Ron Frye
Level 1
Level 1

New Wallpaper Request

Post by Ron Frye »

Linux Mint Developers...

Could you include the following new wallpaper feature in a future version of Linux Mint?

I run Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon as a virtual machine within Oracle's virtual box (version 7.0). I'd like to have a "home" wallpaper image when Linux Mint starts up, but then, after a prescribed time, I'd like it to cycle through the images in my desktop background folder and display those backgrounds either in a random order or sequentially. Then, when I press a key on the keyboard or move the mouse, the slideshow will end, the desktop once again displaying the "home" image.

My images are stored in a Windows 10 folder on a different disk than Linux Mint. I've shared that Windows desktop images folder with Linux Mint (in Oracle's Virtual Box) and that feature works just great! :D

Thank you in advance! :D
Last edited by SMG on Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Themes, Icons & Wallpapers to Suggestions & Feedback. Changed title from "New Feature Request" to "New Wallpaper Request".
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: New Wallpaper Request

Post by Cosmo. »

The minimum precondition is, that there is a clear license agreement for each of those pictures. Than address this request to the devs, who seldom until never read here.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:33 am The minimum precondition is, that there is a clear license agreement for each of those pictures. Than address this request to the devs, who seldom until never read here.
OP is asking about a new wallpaper feature, not asking to include wallpaper images with the ISO.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ron Frye wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:49 pm I'd like to have a "home" wallpaper image when Linux Mint starts up, but then, after a prescribed time, I'd like it to cycle through the images in my desktop background folder and display those backgrounds either in a random order or sequentially. Then, when I press a key on the keyboard or move the mouse, the slideshow will end, the desktop once again displaying the "home" image.
A wallpaper changer can meet some of those features. Like HydraPaper and Variety. Shotwell can also create a desktop slideshow from your images.

What you're describing sounds more like a screensaver. The Cinnamon screensaver doesn't support this but maybe you can use a different screensaver, if there exists one that does slideshows.

You didn't mention what you already tried. Before making a suggestion first search and try if there is not already something out there that can meet your needs. Make a support request if you need help.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

A similarly working wallpaper changer applet aka slideshow is already preinstalled in Cinnamon, but not added to the panel.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”