Switching to Mint from Ubuntu

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JPWhite
Level 1
Level 1

Switching to Mint from Ubuntu

Post by JPWhite »

Used Ubuntu live CD's for years to help with data recovery for PC's I work on. I recently tried Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS and it's too big for a DVD. 22.10 fits onto a DVD but refuses to operate as a live CD.

I tried Mint 21.1 instead and it works great. I was blown away it detected a printer on my network automatically and Bluetooth hardware was also detected. Color me impressed.

Knoppix seems to be an abandoned project, latest version 9.1 is several years old. Looks like Mint will be my go to tool for fixing up broken PC's and hard drives.
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Switching to Mint from Ubuntu

Post by Jymm »

Yes some are getting to big for a DVD just like most are for a CD now days. But there is also a trend to offer minimal installs again.
Ubuntu Working on New 140MiB ‘Mini’ ISO Installer
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2023/02/ubu ... -iso-redux

Personally I like minimal installs. The first one I ever used was about 16 years ago on PC Linux it had some tools like the terminal and text editor, a desktop, and hardware support. It didn't even include a web browser, you added that with Synaptic or the terminal.
I would rather add the software I want then removing unwanted software and cleaning the computer. I think the trend to larger and larger installs is to make those coming from other operating systems that don't know Linux software have everything they could ever want or needed. Long time users just don;t need that.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

JPWhite wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:45 pm Used Ubuntu live CD's for years to help with data recovery for PC's I work on. I recently tried Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS and it's too big for a DVD. 22.10 fits onto a DVD but refuses to operate as a live CD.
I worked hard to minimise the size of the isos for foxclone, standard version with a 5.4 kernel will still fit on a CD (636MB), didn't quite manage it with the version with a 5.13 kernel (870MB). You will not get the "full experience" of mint, but it has the basic recovery tools installed such as testdisk. Didn't include boot-repair as it pushed the size of the iso up quite a lot.
https://foxclone.org/
Foxclone is an image backup/clone utility.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

JPWhite wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:45 pm I recently tried Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS and it's too big for a DVD. 22.10 fits onto a DVD but refuses to operate as a live CD.
From where do you take this information?
Here one can read, that the iso for 22.04.1 has 3.6 GB (just 200 MB more than 22.04); a dvd can store 4.3 GB.

The description for 22.10 says clearly, that it can get tried without installing. What do you think does a "live CD" (except that nowadays cds are for this purpose since many years too small) different to that?

Regarding Knoppix: In the German Wikipedia I read, that the latest version 9.3 is from May 2022, so "several years old"? (The English Wikipedia is not quite up-to-date and gives 9.1 from 2021 (what I still would not call "several years") as latest version.) - But: since 9.2 Knoppix seems to be payware now.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Old machines die part by part. The fans block up first and the box bursts into flames. If you remember to clean the fans, the CD and DVD drives fail next. USB ports last another few years. Placing your rescue OS on a USB stick seems like the better option. :D

The minimum USB 3 stick in our local shops is 32 GB. The OS size is no longer important. If a machine does not have USB 3, I would recycle it for the copper content. :mrgreen:
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Petermint wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:10 pmIf a machine does not have USB 3, I would recycle it for the copper content. :mrgreen:
USB 3.0, released in November 2008 so there are not going to be too many being used without USB 3 that are 64 bit and it takes a bit of digging to get a 32 bit system.

The mention of fans and dust, depends where you put it, in a dusty room? What about doing some vacuuming of your house? If a laptop, blow the dust out if it is getting hot. It makes a total difference to the heat generated.

CD and DVDs? Very few ever used now and it is common for a laptop not to have one installed.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”