Encrypted Drive Password Pop-up

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Encrypted Drive Password Pop-up

Post by mintymatrix »

I have two encrypted pen drives. One of 32 Gb and another of 128 Gb.

I use both and they work fine. Only difference is that when 128 Gb one is inserted in the USB port, Mint does not gives any pop-up to ask for its password, where as it does so in case of the 32Gb one. To unlock the 128 Gb drive I have to click on its icon in the file manager and I get a pop up for that.

On comparing in 'Disks' software I found that 'Partitioning : MBR' was not mentioned for 128Gb drive. See the attached pic.
Why is it so ? And can it create any problem ?
Pen Drives.png
Pen Drives.png (35.86 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Encrypted Drive Password Pop-up

Post by dave0808 »

Manufacturers of these devices tend to ship them without a partition table. The whole storage is just formatted. It's when we users reformat the storage that a partition table is created and the device is formatted properly.

It won't create problems as such, as Mint/Linux/Windows etc can handle it OK. However, I think certain tools for backing up / restoring partitions can have problems with storage that doesn't have a partition table.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

It would be interesting to know, which file system the two drives have.
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:17 pm It would be interesting to know, which file system the two drives have.
Both are EXT4, password protected with LUKS.

mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

dave0808 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:47 pm Manufacturers of these devices tend to ship them without a partition table. The whole storage is just formatted. It's when we users reformat the storage that a partition table is created and the device is formatted properly.

It won't create problems as such, as Mint/Linux/Windows etc can handle it OK. However, I think certain tools for backing up / restoring partitions can have problems with storage that doesn't have a partition table.
So do you advise that I create a partition table in that drive ?
If so which tool is better ? Gparted or Disks ?
After that, when I Encrypt it with Disks, will the partition table still be there ?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Scandisk delivers their sticks with ext4 preformatted? Unbelievable. 99 % of all customers (all Windows and Mac users) would not be able to use them.
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:59 am Scandisk delivers their sticks with ext4 preformatted? Unbelievable. 99 % of all customers (all Windows and Mac users) would not be able to use them.
I do not think I mentioned anywhere it came Preformatted with EXT4.
At the time of starting this thread both drives were EXT4 format.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Than I do not understand, why you ask "Why is it so", when you did it yourself.

Besides that: I would at first take a look at the sticks with gparted, which is preinstalled in the live system.
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:05 am Than I do not understand, why you ask "Why is it so", when you did it yourself.

Besides that: I would at first take a look at the sticks with gparted, which is preinstalled in the live system.
That is exactly why I posted it here. I formatted (and encrypted) BOTH the drives using 'Disks' application and with 'nearly' the same settings but still why is the Partitioning : MBR missing in the larger drive and the pop up asking for the password does not comes up automatically.

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I do not use encryption, so I cannot answer from own experience. But I assume that the missing automatic popup is a consequence of the missing information about the partition table (could theoretically also be GPT) and that's why I pointed you to Gparted.
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

Cosmo. wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:55 am I do not use encryption, so I cannot answer from own experience. But I assume that the missing automatic popup is a consequence of the missing information about the partition table (could theoretically also be GPT) and that's why I pointed you to Gparted.
I might be deviating from the topic but I found that since last year or so, any live Linux drive made using Mint's USB Image Writer shows no Partition table in Gparted. So I reduced my usage of Gparted and use 'Disks' more. Also I am not sure how to encrypt disks with Gparted. I feel it is only related to partitioning work.

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I did not say, that you shall use Gparted (although I do not find anything wrong with it), I said look in Gparted, what it tells about the partition tables.

Return to “Beginner Questions”