Guest sessions in 21.1

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
happnatious1
Level 1
Level 1

Guest sessions in 21.1

Post by happnatious1 »

I'm trying to create a kiosk computer in a shared business center using Linux mint 21.1 but I'm running into some issues trying to customize it.
In general I'd like to add Chrome, Edge, and libre office to the panel or desktop so people unfamiliar with Linux can find them easily.
I've tried several of the tutorials I've found online with no success. Chrome and edge wont launch with the built in guest session account. I believe I'm supposed to modify the /etc/skel file but it seems to be an endless loop of symbolic links trying to find it.
Is this possible in Linux mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
happnatious1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Guest sessions in 21.1

Post by happnatious1 »

Progress:
Followed tutorial here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CustomizeGuestSession
I can now customize the guest session but still cant launch chrome for instance, maybe keyring problem? Permissions?
happnatious1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Guest sessions in 21.1

Post by happnatious1 »

More Progress:
It looks like flatpaks don't run on guest sessions. Installed .deb packages instead.
Chrome now runs but Edge does not, I can live with that, Microsoft is a dumpster fire anyways. I'll be doing the guests a favor by not including it. :lol:
Uninstalled gnome-keyring.
Set login window to allow manual login and hide user list.

Return to “Software & Applications”