Dell usb boot ( Solved)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Dell usb boot ( Solved)

Post by gbvoris »

working on a Dell Lattitude E5450. Mint 20.3 runs great, I was recommended to try Mint 21.1 on a thumb drive. I have burnt usb thumb drives with 3 different apps. I cannot get a boot to the USB drive. I've tried both ufei and odie, no change.
I do remember a problem with this several years ago; but memory isn't what it once was! I am certain that this is a setting problem, I have several bootable live USB's and none boot.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Dell usb boot

Post by diabolicbg »

gbvoris wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:13 pm working on a Dell Lattitude E5450. Mint 20.3 runs great, I was recommended to try Mint 21.1 on a thumb drive. I have burnt usb thumb drives with 3 different apps. I cannot get a boot to the USB drive. I've tried both ufei and odie, no change.
I do remember a problem with this several years ago; but memory isn't what it once was! I am certain that this is a setting problem, I have several bootable live USB's and none boot.
One of the function keys on the keyboard /F12 or other/ should call up the computer's start menu on the screen. Plug in the flash drive of a switched off computer, start it and press the corresponding button to call up the menu. From there, select the flash drive and the computer should load it if all is well.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

Been there done that. Also went through the BIOS and tried several different settings with no help
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

gbvoris wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:26 pm Been there done that. Also went through the BIOS and tried several different settings with no help
Turn off secure boot in BIOS and rearrange the boot devices to boot from a flash stick first. You may be required to create an administrator password in BIOS to disable secure boot.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

I reverified, secure boot is OFF, Legacy boot is enabled. I tried SATA on ACHI and OFF.
I don'y get USB boot with any of the 7 tested USB devices. It still has to be a setting............
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Are these USB devices checked on another computer? If they were created with the same program, they may not all work.

Mintmann
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mintmann »

gbvoris wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:51 pm I reverified, secure boot is OFF, Legacy boot is enabled. I tried SATA on ACHI and OFF.
I don'y get USB boot with any of the 7 tested USB devices. It still has to be a setting............
I have Dell and in the BIOS is a boot sequence page.
Before doing anything you may want to reset or update the BIOS.
Turn computer off, insert usb drive, boot up and go directly into the BIOS and move the usb drive up to be the first selection.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

viewtopic.php?p=2292671#p2292671
Ventoy worked for me when I couldn't get a LM21 iso to boot from a stick when burnt to it.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

My problem is that the USB isn't recognozed as bootable, the llaptop falls through the USB boot setting and uses the next one down.
I've had this problem before, I just can't remember how it was fixed to install Mint {I think it was 17 or 18).
It is, or was, a setting in BIOS.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

gbvoris wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:06 am My problem is that the USB isn't recognozed as bootable, the llaptop falls through the USB boot setting and uses the next one down.
I've had this problem before, I just can't remember how it was fixed to install Mint {I think it was 17 or 18).
It is, or was, a setting in BIOS.
https://github.com/ventoy/Ventoy/releases

gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

OK, I've finally got the tar file on the mint 20.3 desktop.
Now what do I do with it to fix my USB boot problem?
Remember that at the moment I have strong WiFi signal; but mint doesn't open any pages on the internet. Win10/on the same machine functions well.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

gbvoris wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:22 pm OK, I've finally got the tar file on the mint 20.3 desktop.
Now what do I do with it to fix my USB boot problem?
Remember that at the moment I have strong WiFi signal; but mint doesn't open any pages on the internet. Win10/on the same machine functions well.
Please stop sending me private messages with what you wrote in the thread. By the time I figure out what you are referring to, I gave a completely wrong answer.
You need to unzip, insert a flash drive and run Ventoy2Disk.sh. This will install ventoy on the flash drive. Then you copy the Ventoy installation .iso and boot the computer with it.

It's even easier on a Windows PC - two clicks on Ventoy2Disk brings up a graphical interface. I don't know how the installation is organized, but this flash starts both legacy and UEFI machines.

gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

Win10 it is then
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

This was two problems with similar results. This Dell has to be set to legacy boot, just selecting legacy USB device after f12 won't work. Bios must be set legacy as well as selecting legacy usn after f12.
Secondly, the USB with mint 21.1 produced the same result.
USB is now 20.3 and it's booting to it.
So problems solved or removed.
gbvoris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gbvoris »

Changed USB drive back to mint 20.3. Set bios to legacy.
Problem is removed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”