Battery Drains Too Fast !

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jiytu
Level 1
Level 1

Battery Drains Too Fast !

Post by jiytu »

Is this normal now ? my laptop battery drains like real too fast now . I think on win11 my full charge batt would last for about 3 hrs or so, but on mint Its saying 1hr and 20 and I don't think battery saver functions exist here. Also I can't still adjust brightness is it what Linux mint means ? To mint our eyes with unadjustable brightness ?
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Battery Drains Too Fast !

Post by Midnight True »

Hi and Welcome to the forum 🍻🍻🍻
jiytu wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:49 am Is this normal now ? my laptop battery drains like real too fast now . I think on win11 my full charge batt would last for about 3 hrs or so, but on mint Its saying 1hr and 20 and I don't think battery saver functions exist here.
Because linux is primary designed as a server OS and does work best in desktops compared to laptops. But there are apps that can be used to control your battery, check this out https://linrunner.de/tlp/index.html
jiytu wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:49 am Also I can't still adjust brightness is it what Linux mint means ?
By the way want flavor of mint you are using? In Xfce you can change the screen brightness by clicking the battery icon / Power Manager Plugin ---> Adjust Display brightness to your liking

edit note: Rectified typo
jiytu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jiytu »

Midnight True wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:28 am Hi and Welcome to the forum 🍻🍻🍻
jiytu wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:49 am Is this normal now ? my laptop battery drains like real too fast now . I think on win11 my full charge batt would last for about 3 hrs or so, but on mint Its saying 1hr and 20 and I don't think battery saver functions exist here.
Because linux is primary designed as a server OS and does work best in desktops compared to laptops. But there are apps that can be used to control your battery, check this out https://linrunner.de/tlp/index.html

Thanks for the warm welcome ! Oh I'm from PH too by the way. Server OS ? Then I suppose I should switch out again ? I was beginning to get comfortable with the mint actually.
jiytu wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:49 am Also I can't still adjust brightness is it what Linux mint means ?
By the way want flavor of mint you are using? In Xfce you can change the screen brightness by clicking the battery icon / Power Manager Plugin ---> Adjust Display brightness to your liking

As for the flavor, I'm not really sure how to answer that. But I just installed the latest one I found Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon.
I tried everything I could find from this forum about setting the brightness level.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

There's no useful system infpo there at all. Copy/paste the text output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
run in the terminal.

Did you try clicking on the power management icon in the panel? It's possible that the Fn keys aren't working but that adjustment in the popup window would.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

I cannot figure out why everyone is so enamored with Cinnamon. There is a brightness control in system settings, instead of being on the battery icon, where it belongs, like Xfce. You can also install an applet to add it to the panel.

Code: Select all

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/286
In the Software Manager is a program "tlp". It is command line (there is a gui that can be added, I think, but I've never used it) that can help with battery management. Depending on your bios/efi, it can help with battery drain, at least some. With my Acer laptop it works well--not so much with my Apple laptops.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

LM 21.1 Cinnamon. Brightness can be adjusted by fn-f7 and fn-f8. Seems to work on every laptop I ever used with every version of Windows and Linux.

For battery life, are you measuring the actual time or just looking at the estimate in the battery icon?

For Intel Gen 12 and later, you need the latest kernel to manage the performance and economy cores. For Nvidia, you have to adjust settings under a full moon while ... Nvidia is always a problem.

Return to “Beginner Questions”