No support NVidia Graphics Cards

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lmfnov
Level 1
Level 1

No support NVidia Graphics Cards

Post by lmfnov »

I have the same problem, only slightly different hardware. It is a pity that we have to abandon the use of Linux in this regard. It was the first time I decided to move to Linux and such a fiasco with drivers.

Perhaps there is some specific sequence of actions for installing the driver?
I seem to have tried everythings :D all the options: installation from synaptic (drivers and packages), driver manager, nvidia website. Drivers of different versions, different kernel versions, etc. Nothing to help.

Who has faced this - tell us your steps, please. I have 2 graphics cards:
Internal - intel HD 4000, discrete - nvidia 640M.

So, if to use xorg, that without gpu functions or to use nvidia drivers on-demand and without gpu functions support, too.
What choice do you have? Hmm..
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: No support NVidia Graphics Cards

Post by SMG »

lmfnov wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:28 am I have the same problem, only slightly different hardware.
Welcome to the forum, lmfnov.

When hardware is different, one can not automatically assume the problem is the same. I deleted your post in the other topic because your hardware is much older and we do not permit making the same post in several topics.
lmfnov wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:28 amSo, if to use xorg, that without gpu functions or to use nvidia drivers on-demand and without gpu functions support, too.
What choice do you have? Hmm..
I do not understand what this means. One does not normally use xorg.conf with dual graphics and, in fact, it can prevent them from working properly.

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.

Is secure boot enabled? You can check by running the following in a terminal

Code: Select all

mokutil --sb-state
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
lmfnov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lmfnov »

Thanks for your welcome )
much older
is not that. perhaps simply older, not much. And this fact will play into the hands of normally working drivers and os. think that.
One does not normally use xorg.conf with dual graphics and, in fact, it can prevent them from working properly.
its smiling, couse many pc consist 2 graphics, one of them is integrated in cpu.

I taken the screenshot from win 10. And I'll start running the command a little later, but I think my computer does not support secure boot. I dont remember. :) And, is it important for the GPUs drivers?
Attachments
Screenshot_6.png
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

When asked to provide system information please do not post windows screenshots. Use the tools in mint as requested.
Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
Secure boot is important, with it enabled the nvidia drivers will not load in linux.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
lmfnov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lmfnov »

If the result is succefull I can check other scenarios - with other kernel versions and drivers and methods for install it. But I had a 2 day meeting with linux. How kernel version are the best way for check it?

I tried 5.19.0.35, 5.15.0.1017-nvidia, 5.15.0.56-gen, 5.15.0.67, 5.17.0-1028-oem, 5.19.0-1007-nvidia, 6.1.0.1007
nvidia x86_64: 340.93, 418.43, 470.161, ..-beta
Latest driver from nvidia - 470.161.03 - it worked in 5.15.0.67 and 390 worked in 6.1.0.1007.

My steps are:
1. installing the kernel package from synaptic
2. stop lightdm service with command:

sudo service lightdm stop

init 3
4. remove all older packages nvidia:

sudo apt purge nvidia*{ver}
/libnvidia*{ver}/etc
4.1. remove xorg....(some tell display)
4.2. check installed packages from

dkpg -l | grep -i nvidia
(some command..it seems so)
5. install xorg-dev for new nvidia driver

sudo apt install xorg-dev
6. install nvidia-dkms-{VER} for normal dkms rebuild -

sudo apt install nvidia-dkms-{VER}
7. install nvidia driver from .run package (downloaded from the nvidia site)
7.1. flags is: dkms(y), 32lib support(y).
7.2. install 'nvidia-prime' is needed.
7.3. set on-demand to prevent crashes.? mb))
8. if thea errors on the steps, I reboot in recovery-mode and continue there.
9. experiments.
lmfnov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lmfnov »

asked to provide system information
In linux with 390 drivers there are two gpus
with 470 was one. is that intel.

it seems so. now intel only.
lmfnov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lmfnov »

i think setup ubuntu and check it there but lm is ubuntu too;)
//may test with fedora..
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

lmfnov wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:10 am i think setup ubuntu and check it there but lm is ubuntu too;)
I think if you want help then you should provide the information we requested. You are installing software which is wrong for your computer.

You have a laptop with dual-graphics which means your situation is different from the person with the desktop in the other topic.

Your computer is definitely new enough to have UEFI. If UEFI is enabled, you must create keys or the Nvidia driver will not load at boot time. Loading the Nvidia driver is a separate step from installing the Nvidia driver.

Giving us Windows information is not helpful. This is not a Windows forum.
lmfnov wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:03 amIn linux with 390 drivers there are two gpus
with 470 was one. is that intel.

it seems so. now intel only.
You must use the Nvidia driver which is designed to work on your GPU. If you check the Nvidia documentation, the 470 driver does not work with your 640M GPU.

The steps you posted are wrong and others should not use them.
lmfnov wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:10 am i think setup ubuntu and check it there but lm is ubuntu too;)
//may test with fedora..
Good luck.
lmfnov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lmfnov »

the 470 driver does not work with your 640M GPU
it not true. this is the driver recommended by nvidia for 640M in the installer.
Last edited by lmfnov on Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

lmfnov wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:38 am

the 470 driver does not work with your 640M GPU
it not true. this is the driver recommended by nvidia for 640M.
It is true. I have the page up right now in another tab. The newest driver listed for the Geforce GT 640M is the:
Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver
Driver Version: 430.40 - Release Date: Mon Jul 29, 2019

Here is the GeForce® Drivers: Manual Search where you can check for yourself. Additionally, I have helped others with the 640M and know it is not supported by the 470 driver.

Driver Manager will recommend the Nvidia-390 for those running Linux Mint versions 20 or 21. The Nvidia-390 received its last maintenance update in November 2022 so it is the best recommendation for those with the 640M GPU.
lmfnov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lmfnov »

the 640M and know it is not supported by the 470 driver
Exactly! How did I not see that :shock: :shock:
It is strange that the nvidia installer offered me this particular driver.

So, I installed 418.43 and 418.113 on 5.15.0.56 and 5.17.0.1028 with many errors and unsuccessfully.

I will try to install 430.40 and text back.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

lmfnov wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:01 am
the 640M and know it is not supported by the 470 driver
Exactly! How did I not see that :shock: :shock:
It is strange that the nvidia installer offered me this particular driver.
I have no idea what you are calling the nvidia installer.

Linux Mint has Driver Manager and it would only be offering you the 340 driver, the 390 driver, and the open-source driver. It would not be offering the other driver versions you listed.

You should not be using the 430 driver. Support and security updates for it stopped four years ago. Additionally, it was never tested to work with the kernels and Xorg versions which have been released since 2019.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

lmfnov wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:57 am Thanks for your welcome )
much older
is not that. perhaps simply older, not much. And this fact will play into the hands of normally working drivers and os. think that.
If you're going to argue with one of the few real experts on this forum, please do try and make some sense.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Agreed and still waiting on the system information, unlikely to be forthcoming.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”