Update can't be installed as it is still running.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lucky67
Level 1
Level 1

Update can't be installed as it is still running.

Post by lucky67 »

This is UK payroll software provided by the tax office for small employers. (Basic PAYE tools) but I think maybe there will be a general fix for this.
I have this set for automatic updates. I realised that it hadn't been updating a month or so ago, so I downloaded and reinstalled the latest version.
Its the year end so it has been updated again and the automatic update is still failing. I can manually update but it would be better if I could get the automatic updates to start working.
I get a pop up asking if I want to install the latest update, it downloads the update then sticks on this screen
Screenshot from 2023-03-27 23-41-19.png
If I do close the program myself the update disappears... if I click ok I just get the same message
The other options in the dropdown menu are 'kill basic paye and install' and abandon update
The kill option just puts me back at this screen, the abandon update does exactly that.
I can find what I assume is the downloaded update RTI-22-2-22292__2023-03-27_2327.zip in my home folder, which contains these files.
So any ideas of a work around -how I can get this working?
Running Mint cinnamon 20.1 (I think - not the latest version - I need to update but was going to leave it whilst I sort my end of year!)
Thanks in advance
Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-03-28 00-13-57.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lucky67
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Update can't be installed as it is still running. (HMRC Basic PAYE Tools)

Post by lucky67 »

Just for anyone else having this issue (why I've edited title)
I have managed to speak to the providers (tax office). They can't explain why the automatic update isn't working...
They advised that I downloaded it again from their webpage and this time when I extracted it I got a 'program' (as well as the sqlites etc)
Which I could double click to install - which worked and all my data was still there. (I do have backups but they did suggest I should keep the backup on a flash drive as well just in case everything got overwritten ...)
They also said the automatic updates should work in Linux and to leave them turned on. (But to do the manual update if that failed)
And it seems to be a software specific problem and not as I thought a general one - so apologies for wasting anyone's time.

Return to “Software & Applications”