Increase scrollbar width in QT-based apps

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TM7412
Level 1
Level 1

Increase scrollbar width in QT-based apps

Post by TM7412 »

I’ve spent the better part of the day trying to fix the scrollbar width in my QT-based programs (VLC, Qbittorrent, Okular, etc.) with no luck. I’ve gotten the scrollbars in Firefox & my GTK-based programs customized, but I haven’t been able to customize the QT-based ones.

The QT5 Configuration Tool has no settings to adjust scrollbars, I assume I’ll have to modify/create a stylesheet. Anybody know what I need to do here?

I’m running a fresh LM 21.1 Cinnamon install with all the latest updates.

THX
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: Increase scrollbar width in QT-based apps

Post by rossdv8 »

The scroll bar width in QT Apps has been a annoyance for users for years. There was a heated discussion on it again a couple of years ago.
It has been made thicker in the BREEZE theme, but the developers claimed there were no plans to enlarge it again.

There have been a lot of requests to have the option to modify the scroll bar size to be added to the Qt5 config tool, but it is still not done.
There might be an option in CSS files related to individual Apps, but I haven't seen it.

In the mean time, if you run a 4K monitor, you could try adjusting 'scaling' to 200%. Of course that's going to mean changing a heap of other things because it will change everything globally, Qt5 AND GTK apps . .
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
TM7412
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TM7412 »

Thanks for the info. I have two large 4k monitors & had to increase the scaling to 125% for things to look good & that made the scrollbars in QT-based apps HUGE, like 1/2" wide ridiculous.

My research indicates that QT allows for a high level of customization, but the Qt5 config tool doesn't allow for it easily. I'm sure there is a solution to my issue, but it will likely require coding & I am unfamiliar with just how to go about it. Hopefully, someone here who has encountered this same problem, will share a solution that will benefit us all.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

which Apps are the worst affected. For me, in Mint 21.1 (XfcKdE) I find it annoying sometimes in Dolphin file manager, so I was thinking about it today before I saw your post. I know I gave Dolphin and some others bigger scroll bars in Mint 17, but I can't remember what I had to change.

When I have the chance I'll do some digging. I've been doing a lot of mods to a GTK theme, and I've found a theme that makes Thunar file manager transparent around the files like my Dolphin FM, but I haven't quite got my main theme modded for blurred app windows.

I might find the relevant bits for Dolphin while I'm doing this . .
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
TM7412
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TM7412 »

The Qt5 config tool allows for the creation of .qss files. Would creating a custom file solve the problem? If so, could you point me to the proper code to use? I’ve tried a few things, but nothing has worked so far.

As I mentioned in my original post, the most used apps that are affected are VLC, Qbittorrent, & Okular, with Okular being the most used (all day) & most exasperating.

Sidenote: I am moving our office from Windows to LM Cinnamon, so even “small” things like the scrollbar being improperly sized causes problems with certain change-resistant folks. They will adapt eventually, we all do, but in the meantime ... sheesh! :roll:
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

I looked at those .qss files in Qt config, but I've been tied up with another issue caused by a recent update to Mint, although I think it is NOT a Mint problem, but further up the chain in Xfce updates.
I can't recall whether I tried updating the .qss or another file there, as there were two. I do know the one I modified did not work, and I planned to try modifying the other one.

Main thing is to fiind the fodler they live in (from memory a line pops up telling you where it lives) and save the file with a -BAK extension so you can find it. Then close that file, and open the original again.

I can't count the number of times over the last 45 years I have edited a file I was working on, only to find I had forgotten what I changed, and hadn't backed up the file. And I still do it. The file I forget to back up, or thought 'just this once', is always the one file that can break stuff,

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”