[SOLVED] At installation what list is it reading for packages to install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Basher52
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] At installation what list is it reading for packages to install

Post by Basher52 »

Hi

I wonder if there is a list of packages it installs at installation time?
If so where can I find it?
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Re: at installation what list is it reading for packages to install

Post by Midnight True »

i am sorry but your question is very hard to understand, please give more and specific information. Moreover, you can attach a screenshot of what you meant.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Open Synaptic and you will see all installed packages. If you find this useful with a number of 1 to 2 thousand packages is another question.
Basher52
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Basher52 »

Midnight True wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:05 am i am sorry but your question is very hard to understand, please give more and specific information. Moreover, you can attach a screenshot of what you meant.
eg. it installs office which I don't want on the server.
Also other things like this and as I'm at it removing office I could perhaps add things I do need so when the OS is installed I don't need to do anything more saving time and also learn more how it all works.

There gotta be a list it reads so it knows what to install at installation time, right? I can't think it's hardcoded in the installation script.
Basher52
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Basher52 »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:27 am Open Synaptic and you will see all installed packages. If you find this useful with a number of 1 to 2 thousand packages is another question.
It is a possibility sure but I'm more into using CLI 😁
But this means unnecessary job by removing things after it took time to intall it. That's why I wanna remove it before installation thus less fiddle by hand later.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Basher52 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:12 am
Midnight True wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:05 am i am sorry but your question is very hard to understand, please give more and specific information. Moreover, you can attach a screenshot of what you meant.
eg. it installs office which I don't want on the server.
Also other things like this and as I'm at it removing office I could perhaps add things I do need so when the OS is installed I don't need to do anything more saving time and also learn more how it all works.

There gotta be a list it reads so it knows what to install at installation time, right? I can't think it's hardcoded in the installation script.
Doing this (including figuring out how) will take much more time than simply installing, removing the apps you don't want, and installing the ones you do.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Basher52
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Basher52 »

Trying this now and so far it seems to work, I really hope it works, thx.

@Hoser Rob, trying out Cubic and it seems to work.

As it seems to work I'll mark this post as solved

Return to “Installation & Boot”