Linux laptop - how to check/add SSD & RAM?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux laptop - how to check/add SSD & RAM?

Post by AndyMH »

https://www.kingston.com/unitedkingdom/ ... leid/48543
nvme is a different interface, is faster and is usually a different form factor - M.2. You can get M.2 drives with a sata interface. SATA SSDs normally come in a 2.5" form factor for one to one replacement with a 2.5" HDD.
Last edited by AndyMH on Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

mintd wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:16 pm
The Muffin Man wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:41 am Crucial says you have 2 RAM slots (with a maximum of 32GB)
They list a 2.5" SSD SATA.

For RAM, you can google the specs and they'll show up at various places. I'd buy 2 the same size. Say 2 8 GB RAM chips for a total of 16 GB, but you can purchase the size you want. Most PCs won't balk at running different speeds and different sizes anymore. Different speeds mean that they will run at the lowest speed. Different sizes (or just one slot) shouldn't matter. If you have 8 GB now, when you open the case, you'll see if that's 2 4GB RAM chips or just 1 8GB RAM chip. (the BIOS would tell you, too) If you have 1 RAM chip, you could just get an additional, if you have 2, then you could just replace one of them. My personal preference is to buy 2 identical, especially when opening a laptop case.

For SATA, that's a standard SATA connection. You should be able to choose the capacity you want.

For sites I generally use Crucial, NewEgg, TigerDirect and of course Amazon.
Thank you so much Muffin Man.

Would older laptops (e.g. manufactured around 2015/2016) have more of an issue with RAM chips running at different speeds and sizes?

In terms of buying RAM, do you have any favoured brands/manufacturers? For example, Crucial, Corsair, Kingston?

And with SSD drives, is there any particular features to look out for in those when choosing between brands/manufacturers? I've seen some say about '3D NAND' for example. And do you have any preferred brands/manufacturers? For example, Crucial, Samsung, Western Digital, Sandisk, Kingston?

Thanks again and hope you have a great weekend.
I can't speak to older laptops and different speeds. However, I'd either make the laptop a total 16GB or 32BG. 32GB would be 2 16GB chips. (of course).
or buy 16GB chip and either run with just 1 slot filled or try running with the 16GB and 4GB. That way your new 16GB isn't "throw away" and you can replace the other slot at a later date.

As for SSDs. I really like Samsung, T-Force, and SK Hynix, but anything you get, you'll see an improvement.

As mentioned before, make sure you know the laptop model you are wanting to upgrade. Youtube has many videos about upgrades and how to disassemble the laptop.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:02 pm https://www.kingston.com/unitedkingdom/ ... leid/48543
nvme is a different interface, is faster and is usually a different form factor - M.2. You can get M.2 drives with a sata interface. SATA SSDs normally come in a 2.5" form factor for one to one replacement with a 2.5" HDD.
Thank you AndyMH.
Sounds amazing with the NVMe drives!
Would an NVMe be compatible with the Asus Zenbook UX510UXK? If so, which model and form factor would be best to use?
Otherwise, was just going to get a standard 2.5 inch SSD (but perhaps best to go with NVMe by the sounds of it).
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

The Muffin Man wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:46 am
mintd wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:16 pm
The Muffin Man wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:41 am Crucial says you have 2 RAM slots (with a maximum of 32GB)
They list a 2.5" SSD SATA.

For RAM, you can google the specs and they'll show up at various places. I'd buy 2 the same size. Say 2 8 GB RAM chips for a total of 16 GB, but you can purchase the size you want. Most PCs won't balk at running different speeds and different sizes anymore. Different speeds mean that they will run at the lowest speed. Different sizes (or just one slot) shouldn't matter. If you have 8 GB now, when you open the case, you'll see if that's 2 4GB RAM chips or just 1 8GB RAM chip. (the BIOS would tell you, too) If you have 1 RAM chip, you could just get an additional, if you have 2, then you could just replace one of them. My personal preference is to buy 2 identical, especially when opening a laptop case.

For SATA, that's a standard SATA connection. You should be able to choose the capacity you want.

For sites I generally use Crucial, NewEgg, TigerDirect and of course Amazon.
Thank you so much Muffin Man.

Would older laptops (e.g. manufactured around 2015/2016) have more of an issue with RAM chips running at different speeds and sizes?

In terms of buying RAM, do you have any favoured brands/manufacturers? For example, Crucial, Corsair, Kingston?

And with SSD drives, is there any particular features to look out for in those when choosing between brands/manufacturers? I've seen some say about '3D NAND' for example. And do you have any preferred brands/manufacturers? For example, Crucial, Samsung, Western Digital, Sandisk, Kingston?

Thanks again and hope you have a great weekend.
I can't speak to older laptops and different speeds. However, I'd either make the laptop a total 16GB or 32BG. 32GB would be 2 16GB chips. (of course).
or buy 16GB chip and either run with just 1 slot filled or try running with the 16GB and 4GB. That way your new 16GB isn't "throw away" and you can replace the other slot at a later date.

As for SSDs. I really like Samsung, T-Force, and SK Hynix, but anything you get, you'll see an improvement.

As mentioned before, make sure you know the laptop model you are wanting to upgrade. Youtube has many videos about upgrades and how to disassemble the laptop.
Thank you Muffin Man.
Might try the 16GB + 4GB RAM combo.
Not heard of T-Force SSDs before, will take a look those thanks. Would an NVMe be compatible with the Asus Zenbook UX510UXK (if so, which model and form factor would be best to use)?
What might be a good setup if installing two SSD drives in the laptop? One for OS and one for personal files or one for backups perhaps?
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

I don't think you can put 2 SSDs in your laptop. (Normally there isn't enough room in any laptop)
At this point, you need to open up the laptop and see what you have inside.
I'm not sure if it is like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdGCTt3sJcs
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

mintd wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:59 pm Would an NVMe be compatible with the Asus Zenbook UX510UXK? If so, which model and form factor would be best to use?
I did have a look, found one site with "accessories" for your laptop, they listed an M.2 2280 form factor nvme drive, I'm guessing there might be a slot for a 2.5" sata drive and an nvme drive inside. Could not find anything definitive, user guide for the laptop useless (but better than some on the info on BIOS it contained). You need to have a google, also go on the forum for your laptop and ask how to take it apart to get at the drives. I'm spoilt with my T430, one screw to get at the sata drive, two screws to get at the msata slot (precursor of M.2).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

The ASUS Zenbook UX510 Tech Specs link indicates the laptop has both standard 2.5" SATA and m.2 SATA ports. It does not mention anything about containing a NVME port. The m.2 SATA is a different technology than a NVME device. The 2 Types of M.2 SATA and NVME link might be helpful to understand the difference.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

deck_luck wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:17 am It does not mention anything about containing a NVME port.
Correct and sloppy of me not to have checked.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

deck_luck wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:17 am The ASUS Zenbook UX510 Tech Specs link indicates the laptop has both standard 2.5" SATA and m.2 SATA ports. It does not mention anything about containing a NVME port. The m.2 SATA is a different technology than a NVME device. The 2 Types of M.2 SATA and NVME link might be helpful to understand the difference.
Thank you so much deck_luck.

That was a really interesting page about the types of M.2 SSDs (I did not know there were both NVMe and SATA M.2 and their differences). Sorry if I did not pick this up from the Kingston page, but which would be best between a SATA M.2 SSD and a 2.5-inch SSD - are they pretty much the same (both using SATA connection and 6 Gbps transfer rate) besides the difference in size? I was just thinking of getting a 500GB 2.5-inch SSD (Samsung) but if an SATA M.2 would be better I would consider that (if similarly priced).

I appreciate you helping to look up the laptop. I tried running Inxi (new to this) and this was the output:

Drives: Local Storage: total: 1.20 TiB
ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Western Digital model: PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-256G-1002
size: 238.47 GiB speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 serial: <filter>
ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: HGST (Hitachi) model: HTS541010A7E630 size: 931.51 GiB h
speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> temp: 24 C

It seems to mention 'nvme0n1' so I'm a bit confused whether it would be a SATA M.2 SSD or NVMe (it would appear to be the latter)?

And if it is a NVMe, what might be a good setup to have with two drives? I was thinking to remove the 1TB HDD and replace it with a 500GB 2.5-inch SSD. Would it be best to run Linux Mint from the M.2/NVMe and have the 2.5-inch SSD for file storage/backups? What might be a good way to work things?

Thank you again, I'm learning a lot here!
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

mintd wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:49 am...
I appreciate you helping to look up the laptop. I tried running Inxi (new to this) and this was the output:

It seems to mention 'nvme0n1' so I'm a bit confused whether it would be a SATA M.2 SSD or NVMe (it would appear to be the latter)?
Well that is good news, it does indicate a NVME. I am guessing your model is a later variant that the ASUS Tech Specs link does not include.
And if it is a NVMe, what might be a good setup to have with two drives? I was thinking to remove the 1TB HDD and replace it with a 500GB 2.5-inch SSD. Would it be best to run Linux Mint from the M.2/NVMe and have the 2.5-inch SSD for file storage/backups? What might be a good way to work things?
I think your plan is a good one. Due to the higher speed potential of the NVME device, I would definitely install Linux Mint on it.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

deck_luck wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:44 pm
mintd wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:49 am...

Well that is good news, it does indicate a NVME. I am guessing your model is a later variant that the ASUS Tech Specs link does not include.
I think your plan is a good one. Due to the higher speed potential of the NVME device, I would definitely install Linux Mint on it.
Thank you deck_luck

I hope it is fine with the NVME being installed! If it were not the correct/compatible component would it still fit in the socket (e.g. when a SATA M.2 SSD should be there instead)?

And thanks for helping with the setup. So if I install Linux MInt on the NVME and have the 2.5-inch SSD for file storage, how would things work with the 2.5-inch SSD? Would it just show up under 'Network' within the folder system, or should I configure it somehow to be the default for the Desktop folder/files (which is where I usually keep my desktop files)?

Thank you and have a great weekend.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

mintd wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:25 pm how would things work with the 2.5-inch SSD? Would it just show up under 'Network' within the folder system, or should I configure it somehow to be the default for the Desktop folder/files (which is where I usually keep my desktop files)?
No, the partition(s) on the 2.5" SSD would show up under "devices" in your file manager, this is nemo with cinnamon
Screenshot from 2023-04-01 18-49-03.png
If you don't have a label on the partition it will show as xxGB Volume, e.g. 21GB Volume in the screenshot. If you have a label on the partition it will use the label name, e.g. ibackup in the screenshot, or...

For a fixed internal drive you are best mounting the partitions by editing fstab, that way you get to mount them wherever you like in the filesystem.

By Desktop do you mean what you see on the desktop after booting? What you see is the contents of /home/you/Desktop. You can move this somewhere else by editing /home/you/.config/user-dirs.dirs but I wouldn't recommend it.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

The Muffin Man wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:33 pm I don't think you can put 2 SSDs in your laptop. (Normally there isn't enough room in any laptop)
At this point, you need to open up the laptop and see what you have inside.
I'm not sure if it is like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdGCTt3sJcs
Thank you very much Muffin Man.
Great link with the video. I find it challenging with opening laptops and not damaging the clips that hold the cover on - any tips/tricks for this?
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:59 pm
mintd wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:25 pm how would things work with the 2.5-inch SSD? Would it just show up under 'Network' within the folder system, or should I configure it somehow to be the default for the Desktop folder/files (which is where I usually keep my desktop files)?
No, the partition(s) on the 2.5" SSD would show up under "devices" in your file manager, this is nemo with cinnamon
Screenshot from 2023-04-01 18-49-03.png
If you don't have a label on the partition it will show as xxGB Volume, e.g. 21GB Volume in the screenshot. If you have a label on the partition it will use the label name, e.g. ibackup in the screenshot, or...

For a fixed internal drive you are best mounting the partitions by editing fstab, that way you get to mount them wherever you like in the filesystem.

By Desktop do you mean what you see on the desktop after booting? What you see is the contents of /home/you/Desktop. You can move this somewhere else by editing /home/you/.config/user-dirs.dirs but I wouldn't recommend it.
Thank you AndyMH.

Appreciate the screenshot with how the 2.5" SSD would show up.
I'm not sure how to set things up.... I would like the 2.5" drive to be set as my Desktop (so, /home/me/Desktop, like you wrote) - so would I edit fstab to do this (not sure how this works)? Otherwise, what might you suggest as a good setup (for installing Linux Mint and storing files) if I have both a 256GB NVMe drive and a 500GB 2.5" SSD installed in my system?

Also, what do you think about this?
"I hope it is fine with the NVME being installed! If it were not the correct/compatible component would it still fit in the socket (e.g. when a SATA M.2 SSD should be there instead)?"

Hope you're having a great weekend and thanks again.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Trying to put your Desktop folder on another drive is not a good idea, if the partition on that drive does not get properly mounted on boot (or fails) you will end up with an empty desktop - no icons, no panel - unusable. So while you should be able to do it, I've never done it. You will also be wasting lot of space. For years I was running mint on a 256GB drive (don't game, no videos) and only recently increased to a 512GB drive.

My recommendation would be to put mint on the 256GB nvme drive and use the 500GB SSD as additional storage or for backup. You can setup the 500GB drive after installing mint. I would create two ext4 partitions on it - 60GB for timeshift snapshots, and the rest of the drive for data. You could mount the data partition somewhere like /home/you/data so it is easy to get at.

I have two drives in my system, a 512GB nvme as the system drive and a 1TB HDD. I use the HDD only for backup, nothing else. It stores my timeshift and backintime snapshots and my image backups taken with foxclone. I also have a small partition on the HDD with another copy of mint installed in it. That means if my system drive fails or I mess up, I can boot from the backup drive to fix it without having to fiddle around with usb sticks.

I also have a separate home partition on the nvme drive. Not everybody thinks this is a good idea. For me it means on a major version change, e.g. LM21 to LM22, I can do fresh install with the "something else" option and keep all my config files and data (they live in home). I've been doing this since LM17. This is what my system drive looks like:
Screenshot from 2023-04-02 12-45-42.png
You can ignore the swap partition, mint now uses a swap file by default, I've just not got around to changing it. The EFI partition is where your bootloader, grub, lives.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

Cheers AndyMH.

Sounds good with using Timeshift and Backintime snapshots (and Foxclone is new to me, will take a look). Nice idea with having a second installation of Mint on the backup drive! And thanks for the screenshot with your setup that was helpful to see.

Return to “Hardware Support”